Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 111123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:28 pm 

obiter wrote:Probably the most accurate football rankings are calculated using the Elo system (similar to that used in chess)

Kasparov to beat y'all, then?

obiter wrote:3        England        1966

It figures... Image

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 am 

Mars wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:^^^^ Ka-CHING! 1,000 posts! LOL, LOL, LOL :)

+++++

No argument here on the American football angle. It is a sport played by ... well, Americans. Some Canadians, too, but that's it.

It requires too much equipment, is very expensive, and has too many arcane rules to ever go much beyond the colonies.

Can you imagine what American football would be like if it was a worldwide phenomenon?  Picture a team from Japan with a front line of Sumo wrestlers.  They may choose not to wear the full equipment and keep it simple with the diapers.

Never happen...never.  World already hates Americans.  Imagine if we also kicked their asses in the Sport of Kings.

Football is too American...tough, violent and expensive.  Lord!  think of the casualties if they ever tried!  Better stick to soccer.

Mark   :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:57 am 

You know strange happenings are going on in the universe when the Hartford Image Whalers win the cup.............just glad Kevin Dineen never got to drink from it  :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:24 am 

Here is something that World Cup and D&D fans can appreciate:

eBay

8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:30 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Here is something that World Cup and D&D fans can appreciate:

eBay

8)

yeah he is one of their midfield players (i think thats the position he plays anyway)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:04 pm 

Where's SWITERZERLAND though?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:Where's SWITERZERLAND though?

8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:52 pm 

It's in between Lucksemberg, Awestreea, and Jermanie.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:13 pm 

Ya forgot the Fürstentum of Leech-ner-Stein (unfortunately not founded by the Grand Duke of Frank-ner-Furter).

But then, most people do. :)

killjoy32 wrote:

8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

akkk.... 1,210 hits on Google. Image

Somewhat less hesitantly, I think it's that country which managed to somehow exist 350 years before it was actually independent (contrary to those 700th anniversary celebrations...).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:44 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Mars wrote:
Can you imagine what American football would be like if it was a worldwide phenomenon?  Picture a team from Japan with a front line of Sumo wrestlers.  They may choose not to wear the full equipment and keep it simple with the diapers.

Never happen...never.  World already hates Americans.  Imagine if we also kicked their asses in the Sport of Kings.

Football is too American...tough, violent and expensive.  Lord!  think of the casualties if they ever tried!  Better stick to soccer.

Mark   :lol:

I might go with expensive (salaries mostly but maybe equipment) but not tough or violent...one word rugby...football without pads.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 pm 

i would still love to see a dual-game:

one half (40 mins) - rugby (league or union) against one half (30 mins?) American Football - both in their own formats.

i still think the rugby lads - fitness and physical would wipe the floor.

but hey thats just what i think :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:19 pm 

Overall fitness? No question about it — American football is played in seven- to 10-second bursts, with long pauses in between. The NFL guys' tongues would be hanging out after the first three minutes of a rugby game.

A more interesting matchup would be with our NBA players, who are expected to run up and down the court all night for about 115 nights per year (including exhibitions and playoffs). The NBA guys would still lose a rugby game, of course, but at least they would be standing at the end.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Overall fitness? No question about it — American football is played in seven- to 10-second bursts, with long pauses in between. The NFL guys' tongues would be hanging out after the first three minutes of a rugby game.

A more interesting matchup would be with our NBA players, who are expected to run up and down the court all night for about 115 nights per year (including exhibitions and playoffs). The NBA guys would still lose a rugby game, of course, but at least they would be standing at the end.

I am not sure about the NBA players. Maybe 20 years ago that would have been the case. The players today are so much larger than ever before and the game is much more physical. There would be an adjustment period perhaps but eventually I am thinking the NBA types could hold their own.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:48 pm 

GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL for Sweden at 89:50 8O  8O  8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:20 pm 

Hello, ladies.

That goal by Joe Cole was the most beautiful of the World Cup so far.  Absolutely incredible shot.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind watching a half-rugby, half-US football match.  But only if we could bring back guys like JACK TATUM.  Most of you football fans are probably too young to remember him, but he was known for paralyzing guys who were, of course, wearing full padding.  Oh, yeah, and guys like Jack Lambert, Mean-Joe Green, Lawrence Taylor, etc.  Fun.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:20 pm 

I don't know about the battering one gets in rugby...does it have the sheer number of collisions that American football features?  Rough, yes, but do they batter each other down?

(Football players wear pads for a reason, after all...the alternative would be too many deaths.  There's also a reason that half the guys on the field are huge.)

I certainly would pay to see the match!

I have played football against rugby-trained players. They had a nifty sort of multiple passing attack...but they did not win.  Then again, we probably wouldn't have beat them at rugby.

American football is also more of a war/strategy game than other sports.  It is a clash of minds as much as bodies.

Have any of you Europeans been to an American NFL game? The whole....spectacle of it....!

Mark   8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:26 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I don't know about the battering one gets in rugby...does it have the sheer number of collisions that American football features?  Rough, yes, but do they batter each other down?

Haven't you seen the bumper-sticker or T-shirt that says "Give Blood - Play Rugby"?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:38 pm 

Yes, tackling and banging and such...but does every player smash into another player the entire game?  Or, is it more like wrestling, and knocking heads and elbows?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 49 of 111123 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 109110111