Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 47 of 111123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:28 am 

killjoy32 wrote:nope its always been the seperated countries and it will always be that way.

Having codified the modern game and formed our own national associations with separate league and cup competitions, we weren't going to sit back for a few decades until the rest of the world was up to scratch before playing international matches.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Tayside and Central | Oldest football to take cup trip
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Aberdeen nets football invention
(But avoiding any mention of the unofficial 1586 Greenland vs. England international).

killjoy32 wrote:its the same in rugby - we have england, ireland, wales, scotland etc...

Heh. And we can't even beat the Pumas at that... :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:38 am 

faro wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:its the same in rugby - we have england, ireland, wales, scotland etc...

yeah and we got stiffed by the wallabies too - not nice!

well this japan -v- croatia game is the pits so far... 10 mins to go...0-0 yawn (gee i sound like an american) - maybe we needa  multi-ball system to liven it up a little :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
faro wrote:

yeah and we got stiffed by the wallabies too - not nice!

well this japan -v- croatia game is the pits so far... 10 mins to go...0-0 yawn (gee i sound like an american) - maybe we needa  multi-ball system to liven it up a little :)

Al

Now that would make the game more fun..
But really what Soccor needs is cheerleaders, yeah, cheerleaders :D

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:16 am 

well yeah i could go for that - that would be fine, cept you dont have the space ont he sidelines to put them :)

well croatia -v- japan was 0-0 - pretty drab game there imo. croatia need to beat australia and japan need to beat brazil to stay in the competition.

should make the last game rather interesting!

brazil -v- australia shortly - really looking forward to this game!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:14 pm 

the Home Nations .. why do we all get to play soccer ...

The UK is just that: a country of different nations united: all seperate, all with our own languages (although english predominates) and identities but bound together by a turbulent and troubled history. I'm Irish & British. Proud of both.

The history of rugby and football were such that the first internationals were played between the "Home Nations" and they never relinquished their status as independent football associations.

I come from a rugby family (although I'm not a rugby player). Rugby, like cricket is one of those colonial games that didn't go global. Soccer did so the historical anomalies stand out.

And, of course, Northern Ireland remain the current British Home Nations Football Champions (and have been for over a decade).

On Scotland ......

Archie Gemmil's goal in '78 ... awesome but best ever Scottish player ??? What about Jimmy Johnstone, Dennis Law or Kenny Dalglish?

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:59 pm 

US will come from behind to win. We're almost as good at coming from behind as the Greek team.
To be honest, I hope the American team doesn't win it. We place little or no value on soccer, and I'd rather see a team that plays for a country that DOES value the game win it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:15 pm 

obiter wrote:I come from a rugby family (although I'm not a rugby player). Rugby, like cricket is one of those colonial games that didn't go global. Soccer did so the historical anomalies stand out.

*g*. American football is a direct offshoot of college rugby football and certainly less global than cricket.

The Afghan national cricket team is currently over here on tour ( BBC SPORT | Cricket | Afghans make England tour debut ) and there are around 90 countries with ICC status.
I doubt the Kabul Khalifas will be over to play Harvard any time soon.

"It [cricket] is now the third most popular sport in Afghanistan behind football and buzkashi - a sport in which competitors on horseback drag a dead calf over a scoreline". Heh, heh... :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:21 pm 

^^^^ Ka-CHING! 1,000 posts! LOL, LOL, LOL :)

+++++

No argument here on the American football angle. It is a sport played by ... well, Americans. Some Canadians, too, but that's it.

It requires too much equipment, is very expensive, and has too many arcane rules to ever go much beyond the colonies.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:12 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:^^^^ Ka-CHING! 1,000 posts! LOL, LOL, LOL :)

+++++

No argument here on the American football angle. It is a sport played by ... well, Americans. Some Canadians, too, but that's it.

It requires too much equipment, is very expensive, and has too many arcane rules to ever go much beyond the colonies.

Can you imagine what American football would be like if it was a worldwide phenomenon?  Picture a team from Japan with a front line of Sumo wrestlers.  They may choose not to wear the full equipment and keep it simple with the diapers.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:39 am 

obiter wrote:On Scotland ......

Archie Gemmil's goal in '78 ... awesome but best ever Scottish player ??? What about Jimmy Johnstone, Dennis Law or Kenny Dalglish?

fair point there bri, but at international level....what do you remember them for? i dont...

but that archie gemmill goal...well there you go.

same relates to George Best and NI. sure he was one of the best talents ever, but on a world level, he didnt do anything so the experts dont rate him even in the top 10...so go figure....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:43 am 

Mars wrote:Can you imagine what American football would be like if it was a worldwide phenomenon?  Picture a team from Japan with a front line of Sumo wrestlers.  They may choose not to wear the full equipment and keep it simple with the diapers.

yeah shouting BANZAI! and then half-killing the opposition before noticing the penalty flag :)

i have to say i have enjoyed watching the americans, the australians too. they've added a nice feel to the world cup this time round. i admire them for their total gusy performances. i'd like to see them grab a win and if they go out, then so be it, but it would be nice to have something like that on the world stage to take away with em for a boost for next time.

definately improving thats for sure.

think that donovan lad has definately got enough to play for a good club.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:56 am 

Togo 0 - 2 Switzerland

sounded like a pretty exciting game and both teams looked pretty good.

doesnt bode well for france atm imo....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:16 am 

...we'll win the next one and still qualify (we hope  :D ) - gotta aim high in our first cup appearance in a while.

people going crazy about international events at the moment;
soccer tickets, Ashes tour at Christmas, Rugby match coming up...it's great!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:26 am 

i hope the aussies go through too. not cos i have them in the work pool :D but just cos they are a breath of fresh air in the tournament imo

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:40 am 

Didn't see it posted but figured most people know about this, but just incase you didn't, Tim Hildebrandt passed away this past week :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:01 pm 

I was looking at the FIFA world rankings and I have to say that I do not understand how they come up with their rankings.  The one that shocked me the most is that the US is ranked 5th in the world.

How can they be ahead of countries such as England, Spain, France, Germany, Argentina, etc

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of football but I can't even name a single US player and I watched the US - Italy match the other day too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:11 pm 

hay mars

where did you get that?

try 2006 Football World Cup Venues

it states: The seeding of the team is based on - previous two World Cup (2002 & 1998) results & World Ranking positions for year end 2003, 2004 and as of on November 23, 2005.

some of the "big teams" such as italy, holland etc, have performed very poorly at world level etc in the past 8 years and hence their rankings have suffered. USA have done pretty well in internationals, hence their decent ranking - they have gone from rank 33 in france 98 to their current rank of 9th..... very impressive!

how the hell they rank england 2nd is beyond me, but hey there you go :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:14 pm 

ah yes, i just checked here : FIFA.com

well there ya go :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 47 of 111123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 109110111