Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 46 of 111123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:52 pm 

Best of luck - Ghana were fantastic against the Czechs - you are still in with a chance!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:53 pm 

Ten men each now so should be n interesting 2nd half! I hope the Americans go on and win as it makes things much more fun!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:10 pm 

Lewisexi wrote:Ten men each now so should be n interesting 2nd half! I hope the Americans go on and win as it makes things much more fun!

er well it was...til another US player went and got himself sent off!

what a bizarre game!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:13 pm 

I think the Americans will need to score from a corner or throw as the Italians look very strong defending from open play so far...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:24 pm 

Oh!!! Bad luck - I think you guys are doing quite well - two good shots in the last two minutes...

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:04 pm 

The U.S. showed once again they have an incredible instinct to compete.  I'm not being patriotic, that' definitely not my style.  I'm just impressed how hard they played from the very beginning.  It was a very exciting match.  

And huge congrats to Ghana!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:09 pm 

Ok American guys, let's be honest. Every Italian fan was pretty certain to send you back homewith very grim faces, all the while holding our breath. Clearly, no one thought of the generosity of one of our players. Well, you know, we Italians are well-known for out generosity, but we did not think it would have been applied on the World Cup field. However, a war you wanted, and a war it was. To the point of sending three players out and innumerable WIAs.

Now we got this slight vantage, which will allow us to go on even on a draw... possibly even if we lose against Czech Republic, provided that you win against Ghana. So come on and teach those Africans a lesson... but don't score too many goals, or you will pass in our place if we lose.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:52 pm 

'twas quite a nailbiter!

The thing I always remember about the World Cup is that it takes time for the teams to really get into the tournament - so you never know how the next few games will go...

Let's go fly a kite

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:26 pm 

I didn't think Italy played at all well. Defensively they looked solid enough with the defenders playing very well. Not much going forward though. The less experienced players for Italy had a bad time time tonight. It wasn't helped by De Rossi's sending off and Totti having a poor game. Totti has always been a great player in Europe and Serie A but he never seems to do well as well on international games. At 29 this is his last chance really. A shame as I'm afraid he'll be remembered as a nearly great player as his injury before this World Cup was as much of a worry as Rooney has been to us I'd imagine?

Anyway fantastic to watch Ghana earlier! I love to watch 11 guys genuinely enjoy playing football and working so damn hard, competing so well and playing really attractive football.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:10 pm 

It isn't clear to me...an American Football fan...why a soccer player can have a "good" or "bad" game.  

Players don't score every game...so how is one player's game, "off" or "on?"

It seems like each team is just a kick away from a win or a tie every game.   :?

Also, how much is officiating (good or bad) a part of championship soccer?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:11 pm 

well i did say before the game that italy are notorious slow starters and well there you go.

thats not to take anything away from the americans. that was one of the gutsiest performances that i have seen in a while. great stuff to watch and i really was cheering them come the end.

in the UK, we know mcbride as he plays here, but that donovan lad - great effort by him - always looked dangerous.

definately a moment to be proud of! all you can do now is go out and win the last match well and hope the other result goes favourably and well, funnier things have happened!!!

well done indeed! now all we need is australia to play the game of their lives tomorrow and REALLY cheer us up :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:14 pm 

hey you know what, i just noticed...

i am still long-winded collector and i am over 4000 now....awww phooey and here was me thinking there would be another title :(

bummer man :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:22 pm 

This is such a quality tournament it's hard to miss a game. Argentina have been extremely impressive.

I find it extremely patronising of the BBC pundits to constantly voice surprise when an african side does well.  :evil:

It's a shame the Ivory Coast are out, they have been almost good enough in a group which included Argentina (rated 6th on ELO) and Holland (rated 2nd). England and Italy would struggle in that group.

Ghana are a quality outifit. Essien has been the best holding midfielder in the English premiership (well Keano and Viera have left).

Good to see the US get a point (I'd backed them to qualify from the group with the Italians).

I wonder how Scotland will get on against Paraguay??? :wink:

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:34 pm 

forgot to mention

our "one and only" Lloyd Owusu would have made the Ghana team if it hadn't been for a hamstring injury

Oh, and Status Quo wrote a song about him ....

http://www.legendspublishing.net/owusu_no2.mp3/

Not quite Tragically Hip & Bill Barilko but ..

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:05 pm 

obiter wrote:I wonder how Scotland will get on against Paraguay??? :wink:

We'd be slaughtered, IMHO. *

Paraguay underperformed this time, having lost in the knock-out stages to the eventual champions and runners-up in the past two World Cups.
To say nothing of beating Argentina at the end of last year as revenge for losing the Olympic Final (1-0 yet again) in 2004.

Seemed like fairly good value for the 400-1 odds, to be honest. Oh well... :roll:

=
* Given that, at present, we'd have difficulty outplaying the Faeroes.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:31 pm 

Jason Scotland plays for Trinidad & Tobago ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/bsp ... 275674.stm

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:08 pm 

obiter wrote:Jason Scotland plays for Trinidad & Tobago ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/bsp ... 275674.stm

One against eleven? Probably about the same odds as our national team.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:30 am 

sorry guys i cant even take scotland seriously anymore, after their two awesome teams of '78 adn '82 where they were meant to win the world cups easily, only to be humbled both times.

best player ever to come from them there shores on the world stage? Archie Gemmill by a long stretch.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 46 of 111123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 109110111