Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 43 of 111123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:40 am 

on an additional note, the newspapers here are slamming the national team as they usually do. think they are even more fickle than i could have ever imagined.

amazing really, that they have no concept of how it feels to run around in sweltering, humid, high-temperatures in mid-afternoon. holland visibly wilted yesterday, which was a clear indication of the same thing, but they never ever take that on board.

they just sit there and say "oh well you should have played rooney and it would have been ok"

feckin poor lad - i can see it coming, they will bow to pressure, play him and first tackle, he will get crocked again.

i hate the press sometimes...well most of the time.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:45 am 

killjoy32 wrote:on an additional note, the newspapers here are slamming the national team as they usually do. think they are even more fickle than i could have ever imagined.

amazing really, that they have no concept of how it feels to run around in sweltering, humid, high-temperatures in mid-afternoon. holland visibly wilted yesterday, which was a clear indication of the same thing, but they never ever take that on board.

they just sit there and say "oh well you should have played rooney and it would have been ok"

feckin poor lad - i can see it coming, they will bow to pressure, play him and first tackle, he will get crocked again.

i hate the press sometimes...well most of the time.

Al

And this just in from the states....Dallas Mavs up 2-0 in the NBA finals over the Miami Heat!

WHOOOOOP! :!:

Now back to your regularly scheduled World Cup talk....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:12 am 

just letting y'all know, Australia came back from 1-0 down, to score 3 goals in the last 8 minutes, to give Japan a solid thumping, 3-1.

sounded like an absolutely fab game....must catch the highlights afterwards!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:34 am 

:D WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:36 am 

killjoy32 wrote:just letting y'all know, Australia came back from 1-0 down, to score 3 goals in the last 8 minutes, to give Japan a solid thumping, 3-1.

sounded like an absolutely fab game....must catch the highlights afterwards!

Al

Australia....isn't that right by Germany?

Mark   :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 am 

...reaches through computer monitor ans slaps Mark across the head with an Atlas......... :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:46 am 

AdderMcOne wrote::D WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!  8)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

apparently hiddink subbed on tim cahill and he turned the game totally around....inspired substitute.

if you can catch highlights, do so, as it sounded like an amazing match - end to end stuff. kewell clipped the crossbar with a shot too!

they are now touted to go through the group now....who knows, funnier things have happened and there is no reason why they cant!

besides i have them as one of my teams in the office pool in work.

i have england AND australia :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:51 am 

Watched the game, finished about a half hour ago.

Really annoyed at the goal that was allowed after they interferred with Swarz.

Heart was in the mouth until 8 minutes to go then bang, bang, bang  :lol:

Have friends from work who've gone over to watch it   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:52 am 

Al wrote:
they are now touted to go through the group now....who knows, funnier things have happened and there is no reason why they cant!

helllloooo Mr Brazil  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:26 pm 

well 25 mins gone, USA 0-1 Czech Rep :(

yanks are pressing but not testing the czech defence yet - sounds like they are up against it atm :(

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:56 pm 

well USA lost 3-0 in the end. they have a real uphill task now to get anywhere in this tournament.

shame really as there were moments where they could have made a difference and changed the game, but didnt really do enough to get a win, tho reyna DID hit the post and if that had gone in, could have changed the shape of the game a lot!

ah well not to worry eh. need to sort out that defence tho.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:56 pm 

Catching up on some recent deliveries, I just noticed that Dragon #344 contained a new Gord the Rogue story by EGG. Do we have any Gord completionists here? Did anyone give the story a read?

Some details can be found here.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:57 pm 

Good lord, someone just shot a judge here in Reno. I live about two miles from this courthouse.

Shooting a judge ... that's just way beyond the pale.

CNN story

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:09 am 

When the World Cup was played in America we got some of it on TV.  I think that the most interesting thing was watching the various tiny nations come alive to support their team.  Cameroon....Columbia (murdered one of their own players when they lost  8O )...etc...

All around the US, various ethnic communities blew up with home-country pride when their team came to play.

Just before that World Cup, the US team played Mexico in San Diego.  Mexico was the home team.  The passion of those fans was really interesting.

It was quite difficult to understand why one team was better than another.  Commentary kind of goes like this:

"He kicks the ball!  Now his teammate kicks the ball.  OK, another guy is kicking the ball.  It...might...go...toward...the...goal.....  But, no, another guy kicked the ball. Yup, he's kicking it.  Again with the kicking.  More kicking. Still kicking.  AAAANNNNND...nope, another guy kicked the ball. We've got quite a match on today!"

Incomprehensible...but the excitement of the fans told me that something exciting must be occuring...otherwise, why begin cheering louder?  I decided to cheer for Cameroon, and they won their first match, later falling to some other country-I-cannot-locate.   :lol:

So...the US lost 3-0 today to the Czechs?  Tragic.  But what about the Pocono 500?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:01 am 

well i dont think your commentators have kinda got the knack of it yet. there was something a lil while ago here, where one of our domestic games was commentated by an american and to say it was interesting, is an understatement. it was like a cross between ice hockey and your football. it just felt all wrong.

but you are bang on right there about the smaller nations. i always love to see them do well in all things. i was cheering on a chap in the last olympics. a 43-year old guy from the Solomon Islands. he was their only competitor and entered in the marathon. what an experience and how proud he must have been to be representing his country (or island in this case). there was no way he was ever gonna place but i bet it was an experience that he will never forget and i am sure that when he got home, he was like a national hero to them.

amazing stuff and its what all these world events are about imo.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:52 am 

for all you ice hockey buffs...i see carolina needs one more win to get their mitts on that stanley cup eh?

i thought edmonton were meant to be good?

dunno what you call the ice hockey equivalent of a goalkeeper but i see carolina's one made like 20 saves or something which is meant to be pretty cool?

lemme know thoughts on this, cos i always like watching it, but dunno a hell of a lot about it i have to say! (i DO try though...)
Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:54 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Good lord, someone just shot a judge here in Reno. I live about two miles from this courthouse.

Shooting a judge ... that's just way beyond the pale.

CNN story

Grim story.

Great reporting from CNN though!

"It's speculation, but I would say it was the work of a disgruntled person"

And who says investigative journalism is dead.  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:18 am 

You'll think I'm making this up, but ...

... the suspect in the shooting (still at large, BTW)?

I briefly dated his sister. It was like a million years ago, and it was brief, but it happened.

How's that for "small world"?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 43 of 111123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 109110111