Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 42 of 111123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:59 pm 

lordan wrote:
JohnGaunt wrote: and when listening to one of Fish's live albums.

as in Marillion/Fish ?

Yes, the Fish that is the true spirit of Marillion.   :D  The crowd is chanting "Ole . . " on either Sushi or Derek Dick and His Amazing Electric Bear.

I am glad that I Fish on tour in the United States (Sunsets on Empire tour?).  That man can put on an intense show.  I doubt if I'll ever see him, or Hawkwind, or Ozric Tentacles again.  Texas is a looong way from England.  :(

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:49 pm 

England playing tomorrow. I'm pathetically excited! All day in the pub meeting friends from college I normally get to see twice a year and the missus is at work so she can't complain. Don't get much better. Well 'til we lose anyway :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:52 pm 

Soccer doesn't do much for me. I have the game on (argentina vs. some other minor nation) but I'm working and not paying much attention. I do hope Arg wins though. I believe the team commits mass suicide if they lose, no?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:56 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Soccer doesn't do much for me. I have the game on (argentina vs. some other minor nation) but I'm working and not paying much attention. I do hope Arg wins though. I believe the team commits mass suicide if they lose, no?

argentina won 2-1 - very exciting game tho - ivory coast were very unlucky to not sneak a draw out of it tbh.

england beat paraguay 1-0 and trinidad & tobago drew with sweden 0-0

there thats my footie roundup for the day :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:england beat paraguay 1-0

And, technically, didn't even score! Now, that is the way to do it. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:03 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:england beat paraguay 1-0

And, technically, didn't even score! Now, that is the way to do it. :)

well actually, they are still arguing over that, because "technically" its a goal to the attacking player if they can determine that the ball would have went in the net without the help of the deflection.

if they DO give the goal to beckham, he will become the first english player ever to score a goal in three successive world cups!

just thought you would like to know.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:08 pm 

Serious question: how will they decide?

I see this a lot in hockey — not own-goals, but plays that happen so quickly that it is possible to miss who should get the goal and the assists. Each hockey game is covered by an "official scorer," who has, I believe, 24 hours to determine his final ruling.

Do international soccer matches have an "official scorer?" Or how will it work — I'm sure Becks, among others, is very curious. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:13 pm 

i think it does go to a panel or something within the organisation who the competition is being run by (as in this case FIFA)....

or it may even be the referee himself who decides watching footage afterwards

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:52 pm 

Deflection?  Would have gone in?

What happened?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:04 pm 

On England's goal, the last player to touch the ball was from the other side, which normally just goes down as an "own-goal." What Al is saying — and what I missed originally — is that the powers-what-are might still give Beckham credit for scoring the goal.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:13 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:On England's goal, the last player to touch the ball was from the other side, which normally just goes down as an "own-goal." What Al is saying — and what I missed originally — is that the powers-what-are might still give Beckham credit for scoring the goal.

well yeah it is an own-goal cos it came off their player, but what beckham will argue is that IF he didnt touch it, it would have still gone in anyway.

that being the case, the goal should be credited to him.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:22 pm 

I bet Beckham really hopes he's given credit for it because then his dad will give him 10pence (or at least that's what my dad used to give me when I was a boy)(50p for a hattrick!!) :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:00 am 

The Associated Press story now says (paraphrasing) that FIFA will review and decide the matter on Sunday.

I hope they give it to him; why not? I think every goal should be credited — if necessary, to the last offensive player to touch the ball. From a statistical standpoint, the entire concept of own-goals is sort of ridiculous.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:05 am 

yeah i figured that would be what they would do.

talking of own goals tho, here was a classic in our own domestic competition:

BBC SPORT | Photo Galleries | Football | Enckelman's crucial mistake

thats one of them classic goalkeeping howlers that comes around from time to time.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:59 pm 

Ah, too bad for Becks ... FIFA took the easy way out:

FIFA rules "own goal"

Not that he needs my help, but I'm sort of cheering for the guy now. That would be a pretty cool record. 8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:37 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Ah, too bad for Becks ... FIFA took the easy way out:

FIFA rules "own goal"

Not that he needs my help, but I'm sort of cheering for the guy now. That would be a pretty cool record. 8)

yeah they are a fickle bunch - some of the worst refs going atm too. we had some mexican muppet who gave us nothing at all and let them run riot - not very impressed, but anyway.

we got trinidad & tobago on thursday, which is our 2nd game. lets hope they dont play out of their skins again and come up with the amazing heroics like they did against sweden! i hope they are flat-dead and save themselves for playing Paraguay :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:40 am 

on an additional note, the newspapers here are slamming the national team as they usually do. think they are even more fickle than i could have ever imagined.

amazing really, that they have no concept of how it feels to run around in sweltering, humid, high-temperatures in mid-afternoon. holland visibly wilted yesterday, which was a clear indication of the same thing, but they never ever take that on board.

they just sit there and say "oh well you should have played rooney and it would have been ok"

feckin poor lad - i can see it coming, they will bow to pressure, play him and first tackle, he will get crocked again.

i hate the press sometimes...well most of the time.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:45 am 

killjoy32 wrote:on an additional note, the newspapers here are slamming the national team as they usually do. think they are even more fickle than i could have ever imagined.

amazing really, that they have no concept of how it feels to run around in sweltering, humid, high-temperatures in mid-afternoon. holland visibly wilted yesterday, which was a clear indication of the same thing, but they never ever take that on board.

they just sit there and say "oh well you should have played rooney and it would have been ok"

feckin poor lad - i can see it coming, they will bow to pressure, play him and first tackle, he will get crocked again.

i hate the press sometimes...well most of the time.

Al

And this just in from the states....Dallas Mavs up 2-0 in the NBA finals over the Miami Heat!

WHOOOOOP! :!:

Now back to your regularly scheduled World Cup talk....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 42 of 111123 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 109110111