Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 40 of 111123 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:39 pm 

Not sure if this has been posted before but for those of us in the US who can't always follow the slang used by our UK friends.....

Dictionary of English slang and colloquialisms of the UK

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:12 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:What about Poker? The sports channels can't get enough of it!  Bunch of wankers playing cards and look out of nowhere a rookie won it all 8O . JOKE JOKE JOKE!!!!

Poker is in its 14th minute, if you take my meaning.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:24 pm 

Look for US women to dominate all international sports that don't involve sliding on ice or bouncing on a pole or mat for at least the next several decades...particularly in team sports.

With the demise of the Soviet Union, the wholesale cheating has died down....and possibly the chemical edge goes to America as well.   8)

The massive upsurge in girls sports...and the growth of quality programs in those sports...means the US will smack all for the foreseeable future.

You have to go looking for soccer to find it on American cable TV.  I cannot think of the last telecast of a hockey game was on local TV here in the West.  

Not even Olympic hockey gets any decent coverage....but then, it would be hard to screw up Olympic coverage any more than what happens on American television.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:51 pm 

Killjoy was less than enthusiatic about F1 other than a famous Belgian GP (??? did Damon Hill win that one ??), I sort of remember that one through an alcoholic haze at my cousin's. (who, recalling BadMike's family experince, isn't a hill billy ... but if my social history serves me right there were a fair few lads "Billy Boys" from here (followers of King Billy) who emigrated to the states and got little further than the mountains of virginia) ...

Apologies for picking up some older quotes but, as BadMike said ...

"Yeh, but it's all about the heavy drinking..."

Anyway, that got me to thinking (bad habit) what about the great spectator sport of .... test cricket. Don't knock it, the west Indies & billion Indians can't be wrong. I used to fairly loathe this game until I got the opportunity to see it played at a reasonable standard first hand while at university in England.  It was a road to Damscus moment ... everyone of the 2000-3000 spectators were completely plastered. There were bars all round the ground. The whole thing was an excuse for a five day booze up.

I was surrounded by English [Northerners (mostly from Yorkshire) & Home County Public school boys] Aussies and a fair few South Afrikaans  bantering over this that and the other, but thoroughly inebriated and all enjoying themselves.

It really is Good sport. Take yesterday for example... in Antigua in an extremely important match for World test Cricket the West Indies guy thought he'd caught the Indian batsman. The umpires didn't know. They consulted the TV umpire who couldn't really tell so the rules say the batsman should be ok, but the W'Indies captain walks up to the Indian batsman and says "Look I speak for the team what I say is truth ... you should walk". And you know what? the Indian batsman walked. Not given out, TV couldn't confirm the catch but he walked. He just accepted the opposing captain's word.  Sort of like the DM's word is final.

I just don't see how it could be americanized ....  :cry:

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:51 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Badmike wrote:
Yeh, but it's all about the heavy drinking....but I agree with you.  I'd rather watch a dog take a dump than one minute of auto racing.  I will never be able to forget one horrific afternoon having to wait for a friend to drive me home from a trip to Memphis, we were stuck at his grandparents house and had to watch the ENTIRE Indy 500 with them and other hillbilly relatives, which btw included no women under 50 years old.  I actually left during the race and walked to a nearby Subway sandwhich shop about a mile away, ate lunch, finished reading the only book I had on me, and walked back, and the MOTHEREFFING race was still going on.  From there I formulated one of my famous RULES OF LIFE, to wit:  "Always take your own car anywhere you go"

Mike B.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Great story Mike.  I am with you there....I have never been into auto racing.  Being a "southerner" I have been stereotyped numerous times.  People just assume people from the South love NASCAR.  Not that it isnt difficult mind you.  Driving around a track with 40 other nuts going over 200 mph without killing yourself is serious talent.  But to me it is just boring as hell.  And that comment coming from someone who loves to watch baseball.  :D

Here's how out I am on racing:   The new hot driver of the universe Danica Patrick was exactly two minutes away from my house today signing autographs at a local bowling alley (it was a charity event).  I couldn't even bring myself to go there and get a signed picture that immediately would be tossed onto ebay for $40-$50 because the thought of standing in line with the racing hillbillies makes me nauseous.  And that's even whenthey also had two Dallas Cowboys there I could have got signed stuff from too.  I don't even like to hang around that crowd much less watch it.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:53 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:What about Poker? The sports channels can't get enough of it!  Bunch of wankers playing cards and look out of nowhere a rookie won it all 8O . JOKE JOKE JOKE!!!!

Poker is in its 14th minute, if you take my meaning.

Please let that be true. And I thought golf was boring to watch on TV.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:57 pm 

obiter wrote:Killjoy was less than enthusiatic about F1 other than a famous Belgian GP (??? did Damon Hill win that one ??), I sort of remember that one through an alcoholic haze at my cousin's. (who, recalling BadMike's family experince, isn't a hill billy ... but if my social history serves me right there were a fair few lads "Billy Boys" from here (followers of King Billy) who emigrated to the states and got little further than the mountains of virginia) ...

Apologies for picking up some older quotes but, as BadMike said ...

"Yeh, but it's all about the heavy drinking..."

Anyway, that got me to thinking (bad habit) what about the great spectator sport of .... test cricket. Don't knock it, the west Indies & billion Indians can't be wrong. I used to fairly loathe this game until I got the opportunity to see it played at a reasonable standard first hand while at university in England.  It was a road to Damscus moment ... everyone of the 2000-3000 spectators were completely plastered. There were bars all round the ground. The whole thing was an excuse for a five day booze up.

This sounds like a sport I could get into then.... :twisted: Actually, I've seen a couple of cricket matches in my day (one live when I was in England way back when) and I can think of far more uninteresting sports.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:03 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Auto racing is an acquired taste, for sure. I would never willingly watch a minute of a NASCAR race, but I'll occasionally check out the Formula One highlights on the Speed Channel. And the start of an F-1 race is, hands down, the best 30 seconds in all of sports. It's pure adrenaline.

F1 racing bores the crap outta me i have to say, as does most car racing events. its one of them to each their own kinda things if you ask me. my ex-wife watches it with a passion. she loves all things italy and is a ferrari fanatic - i think its all very lame myself but there ya go.

only time i ever watched it with interest, was the belgium grand prix some years back (SPA its called) and it was raining quite hard and on the start, there was a massive car pile-up! it was great fun to watch and the race then turned out to be tremendous - interesting stuff. but bar for that - yawn.

watching cars go round and round and round just doesnt do it for me i am afraid.

now going onto our footballer antics...sheesh i tell you, there just aint many sportsmen around anymore. my dad always rants on about one thing "they need to make football shirts with no arms in them, so players cant grab hold of each other"  :D he also hates them spitting and they just seem to save it til the camera is on them in zoom and the public get a nice view of someone doing it :D and not only that, the poor abuse the referee's get. man i would love for one ref to just stand there and go "you said what? get off the pitch (red card)" and just keep doing that til someone gets the point that you are meant to treat officials with at least a little respect. rugby doesnt have that - its 10 times tougher and the refs are treated with great respect.

*sigh* anyway

Al

It's the sad state of sports nowadays that most of the time you end up cheering for the  uniform and not the players.  Most high paid athletes are only hired guns year to year, no loyalty. I'm going to have to get stinking drunk every Sunday this fall to be able to root for that piece of trash Terrell Owens when he makes his Dallas Cowboys debut this fall....sheesh  :roll:  Can't wait for the "antics" of this so called professional athlete to further tarnish the Cowboy image.
    I've always said that refs should be paid at least half what the athletes get.  How can today's millionaire athletes respect a guy who they know makes less than a 100th of what they do yet gets none of the acclaim or benefits?

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:32 pm 

Could be worse ... you could support Brentford FC :cry:

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 am 

you could support Brentford FC

so you're the one!?

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:12 am 

Badmike wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:Poker is in its 14th minute, if you take my meaning.

Please let that be true. And I thought golf was boring to watch on TV.  

Mike B.

At least when you watch golf you may improve your game! Poker is touted as a sport; its damn insulting :evil:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:43 am 

Brian - yeah that was the damon hill one and where schumacher ran into the back of coulthards car, lost his front wheel and called coulthard a cheat - was a tremendous race.

cricket - well i gotta say, i only watch the test matches sometimes, cos they can get a little drawn out - i enjoy the one-day games - little more exciting, but i have to say, i love them 20/20 games - my god what a blast they are! i hope they do more of them.

one sport i enjoy watching a lot atm is the nordic cross-country skiing events - now i admire them competitors - what effort man!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:44 am 

Badmike wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:
F1 racing bores the crap outta me i have to say, as does most car racing events. its one of them to each their own kinda things if you ask me. my ex-wife watches it with a passion. she loves all things italy and is a ferrari fanatic - i think its all very lame myself but there ya go.

only time i ever watched it with interest, was the belgium grand prix some years back (SPA its called) and it was raining quite hard and on the start, there was a massive car pile-up! it was great fun to watch and the race then turned out to be tremendous - interesting stuff. but bar for that - yawn.

watching cars go round and round and round just doesnt do it for me i am afraid.

now going onto our footballer antics...sheesh i tell you, there just aint many sportsmen around anymore. my dad always rants on about one thing "they need to make football shirts with no arms in them, so players cant grab hold of each other"  :D he also hates them spitting and they just seem to save it til the camera is on them in zoom and the public get a nice view of someone doing it :D and not only that, the poor abuse the referee's get. man i would love for one ref to just stand there and go "you said what? get off the pitch (red card)" and just keep doing that til someone gets the point that you are meant to treat officials with at least a little respect. rugby doesnt have that - its 10 times tougher and the refs are treated with great respect.

*sigh* anyway

Al

It's the sad state of sports nowadays that most of the time you end up cheering for the  uniform and not the players.  Most high paid athletes are only hired guns year to year, no loyalty. I'm going to have to get stinking drunk every Sunday this fall to be able to root for that piece of trash Terrell Owens when he makes his Dallas Cowboys debut this fall....sheesh  :roll:  Can't wait for the "antics" of this so called professional athlete to further tarnish the Cowboy image.
    I've always said that refs should be paid at least half what the athletes get.  How can today's millionaire athletes respect a guy who they know makes less than a 100th of what they do yet gets none of the acclaim or benefits?

Mike B.

Total agreement here about Terrel Owens....

As a lifelong Cowboy fan...born in the shadow of Texas Stadium, with a silver star on my heart....I have this to say about Terrel Owens:

HE WAS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY I HATE THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES.

He belonged there.  Why didn't he stay?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:13 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Total agreement here about Terrel Owens....

As a lifelong Cowboy fan...born in the shadow of Texas Stadium, with a silver star on my heart....I have this to say about Terrel Owens:

HE WAS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY I HATE THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES.

He belonged there.  Why didn't he stay?

Mark   8)

Because the Cowboys showed him the money! (Besides give it a year or two)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:43 pm 

So what do people think of this newer Demon Web? http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapof ... gh30r2.jpg

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:50 pm 

Plaag wrote:So what do people think of this newer Demon Web? http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapof ... gh30r2.jpg

ShaneG.

looks ok i guess, but i dont think they will ever emulate the original no matter how hard they try.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:20 pm 

So what do people think of this newer Demon Web? The page cannot be found _ppi_gh30r2.jpg

Looks like it could be some interesting points in the web ..... however, I always thought the best part of the demonweb was figuring out the web of passages.  The way the innerwove themselves was just cool in my mind.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:04 pm 

Disjected wrote:
So what do people think of this newer Demon Web? The page cannot be found _ppi_gh30r2.jpg

Looks like it could be some interesting points in the web ..... however, I always thought the best part of the demonweb was figuring out the web of passages.  The way the innerwove themselves was just cool in my mind.

*nod*
This map just looks bland to me, least they could have done was taken the old one and interjected the rooms like this newer one onto it and touched it up.
Oh well...

ShaneG.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 40 of 111123 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 109110111