Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 111123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:11 pm 

gyg wrote:nah, it was probably a gas spore (in 3E it might have been a half-dragon/half gnome/half black puddin/half rice pudding/paladin/assassin gas spore! :lol: )

:roll:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:01 pm 

This isn't worth a new thread, but I wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on the Dungeon boardgame? I never played it back in the day, and now I'm wondering which of the three versions to pursue:

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

The "classic" version (1992).

Was there a "best" version? Any opinions?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:09 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:This isn't worth a new thread, but I wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on the Dungeon boardgame? I never played it back in the day, and now I'm wondering which of the three versions to pursue:

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

I played/owned the 1989 New Dungeon..it was a lot of fun (not sure what happened to the plastic figures, but the board split and I believe I kept the cards and dice.) Anyway not having the others to compare to I can't say what would be the "best".

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:13 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:This isn't worth a new thread, but I wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on the Dungeon boardgame? I never played it back in the day, and now I'm wondering which of the three versions to pursue:

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

I have only played the original. The earlier printing version does not seem as popular as the larger box. It was really fun if you wanted a fantasy board game but did not want to go into the depth of say Talisman. I did not know about the middle version. Is it that much different than the first version?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:33 pm 

My understanding is that the editions are, in fact, noticably different — rules, board layout, cards, etc. What I'm hoping to find out from my original question is which version might be most suited to my style of play.

I suppose I'll probably just end up searching for a reasonable deal on an eBay BIN. I'm leaning toward the 1992 version.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:38 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:My understanding is that the editions are, in fact, noticably different — rules, board layout, cards, etc. What I'm hoping to find out from my original question is which version might be most suited to my style of play.

I suppose I'll probably just end up searching for a reasonable deal on an eBay BIN. I'm leaning toward the 1992 version.

Did not know that each was that much different. I may have to look into picking up the ones I don't have. I will wait a few months so as not to compete with your search.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:20 pm 

i have the original 1975 one that i play with my daughter who is 7 and absolutely loves it. never had the others, but this one has an "old" feel to it which i quite like in my board games, and so this one gets my preference anyway, just cos of that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:37 pm 

The one I played had the monster cards with 6 numbers (different colors) you had to roll that # or higher to kill it. Easy game used the red colored #s, harder game allowed spell use, etc though different classes had to use other colored #s

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:44 pm 

in the original one, each monster card has a number that the hero/elf/superhero or wizard needs to attack and kill it by combat. it also has a figure for the wizard spells (fireball or lightning bolt).

i find the system very simple and the kids play it with us regularly and it works for us all.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:58 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:in the original one, each monster card has a number that the hero/elf/superhero or wizard needs to attack and kill it by combat. it also has a figure for the wizard spells (fireball or lightning bolt).

i find the system very simple and the kids play it with us regularly and it works for us all.

Al

So 6 numbers right? Talking about the spells I recall the last two were for just those.
On the one I played it had the sections of dungeon color coded..I've seen the board of an earlier version with designations of 1st level, 2nd level, etc and I don't recall that on mine. (I'm gonna have to find those cards now)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:01 pm 

Plaag wrote:So 6 numbers right? Talking about the spells I recall the last two were for just those.
On the one I played it had the sections of dungeon color coded..I've seen the board of an earlier version with designations of 1st level, 2nd level, etc and I don't recall that on mine. (I'm gonna have to find those cards now)

ShaneG.

yeah 6 numbers (i think from memory - cant be arsed getting up 10 feet and checking in the box :D)

the cards are number 1st to 6th level and coloured - the board is coloured per level too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:06 pm 

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

just thought i would also mention, mine IS the original dungeon, but its (c) 1980

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:18 am 

Interesting result on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Personally, I don't think that would have paid even half for that stuff even with the T1st Greyhawk.  It just seems to me that all the items in that lot were actually gross. :?   I don't mind things having some damage and what not, especially considering it being a Woodgrain set, but the staining on all the books was a big turn off for me.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:45 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

just thought i would also mention, mine IS the original dungeon, but its (c) 1980

Al

There are actually two versions of what you guys are calling the "original" Dungeon. There's the first version that's in a purple box:
1st version

Then there's the 1980 version with the Roslof cover:
2nd version

I loved the 2nd one when I was in elementary/middle school...and still do,  I have my original set though I haven't played it in a while. I love the design of the set and art, like the Roslof art on the cover. The rules have a few cool pieces of art as well - there's a fierce little Otus of wizard casting a lightning bolt (Edit: BGG has a pdf download of these rules in the link you posted above). And I think Willingham did some of the detail art on the side of the box (portraits of wizards, elves etc).

I don't know too much about the earlier version, never owned it, but I believe it had a paper board rather than a standard boardgame board like the 2nd. Also, there were some different rules for the earlier version that allowed for combat between players. I have a text copy of them somewhere...you could easily use the earlier rules with the 1980 set.

I don't much about the later sets either, but I think one of them may have come with miniatures? And added some new rules...again you could use these with the 1980 set. I don't really like the changes in the art for the later sets.

Edit: I think the New Dungeon miniatures may have been a separate expansion set:
The New Dungeon: Miniatures and Game Supplement | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
And it looks like the BGG site has downloads of the rules supplements that came with the minis.

By the way, don't forget that Dragon magazine published three expansion articles for the original rules adding several new character classes, monsters and magic items.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:02 pm 

feckin crappy ebay - i just tried to bid on something FIVE times in the last few mins. each time ebay defaulted it to a "page cannot be displayed" page  :evil:

bloody pisses you off sometimes it does....ah well

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:02 am 

Posts snipe...takes aim...sees glint of other sniper's scope..............KAPOW!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:56 am 

just wanted to give a huge thumbs-up to nev, for this auction sieve thing. just been playing around with it and its great!

and noooo i am NOT going over to the dark side....

:P

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:12 am 

killjoy32 wrote:just wanted to give a huge thumbs-up to nev, for this auction sieve thing. just been playing around with it and its great!

and noooo i am NOT going over to the dark side....

:P

Al

It's not that I don't like Nev's software - I think he did a fantastic job creating it . . . and everyone else on these boards seems to love it . . . but it just doesn't suit my needs.

I love the ability to create and sort searches . . . all that is great.  However,  in practical use it is far too slow (for me).  Each link I click on from a search takes several seconds to open . . . much longer than if I click a link from the ebay page and I can't just hit "back" to be right where I was before on my browser.  Instead, I have to close the window and go back to auctionsieve . . . then hit another link . . . then wait several more seconds . . . the close the window . . . etc.   I check out hundreds of items and this 3 sec lag time is far too much for someone as impatient as I.

Also, my computer's default browser is IE (for the family) . . . however, I use Firefox for myself.  Thus all my links and all my cookies are in Firefox . . . but when I click a link from Auctionsieve it only opens up IE . . . maybe this is something that could be adjusted and I haven't put enough effort into finding out how . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 36 of 111123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 109110111