Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 32 of 100123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 9899100
Author


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:44 pm 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:If you wanted the set, why didn't you take it at $12.50?

Yeah, maybe I'll get a 15-yard penalty for piling on here, but I gotta agree. If you see a BIN on eBay that really grabs your attention, you've got to pull the trigger. There's no guarantees out there.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:40 am 
 

thehiddenone wrote:This had an opening bid of $10.00 and a BIN of $12.50:

Dungeons and Dragons GreyHawk Book Box Set | eBay

But for some reason someone just knocked the BIN off and didn't buy it.  Why?  Why not just buy the f**king thing or leave the BIN alone????  It makes NO sense.


can understand what youre saying, but dont really see the problem. some ppl like to do biz that way? dont see any harm in trying to get it a little cheaper really....always a gamble but hey.

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:42 am 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:If you wanted the set, why didn't you take it at $12.50?

Yeah, maybe I'll get a 15-yard penalty for piling on here, but I gotta agree. If you see a BIN on eBay that really grabs your attention, you've got to pull the trigger. There's no guarantees out there.


yup with y'all on that one.

i see a lot of sellers nowadays doing that. some ppl want things cheaper and will try that route but it can sometimes turn out that it will sell for a lot more.

for some odd reason i notice that not everyone likes to just hit a BIN.

Al



  


Active Collector

Posts: 63
Joined: May 14, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 26, 2017

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:33 am 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:If you wanted the set, why didn't you take it at $12.50?

Yeah, maybe I'll get a 15-yard penalty for piling on here, but I gotta agree. If you see a BIN on eBay that really grabs your attention, you've got to pull the trigger. There's no guarantees out there.


Because by the time I had gotten there the BIN was gone.  It showed on ebays main page with a BIN still, but that page wasnt updated yet. When I clicked on the auction, it was already gone.  I missed it by probably seconds.  I still can't fathom the need to do it.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:48 am 
 

thehiddenone wrote:Because by the time I had gotten there the BIN was gone.  It showed on ebays main page with a BIN still, but that page wasnt updated yet. When I clicked on the auction, it was already gone.  I missed it by probably seconds.  I still can't fathom the need to do it.


to each their own my friend.

some sellers put the opening bid at what they want for the item and then a BIN a little higher. as its not much higher than the opening bid, some buyers like to just get it there and then....some like to see out the gamble.  sometimes it just depends what the item is. a lot of big sellers tend to do things that way and you see it all the time.

such is life.... its not like the item is that rare and no doubt loads will come around again so you will more than get your chance to swipe another before long :D

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:28 am 
 

I do not know if I should post this here, but I cannot find any other place so here will have to do.

I play 3e every other friday with my group.  During last friday play, while ransacking a dungeon of our DM's own making (with characters at 5th level), we rounded a corner and 60 feet down the torchlit hallway was a Beholder  8O .  A loud yell of "RUN AWAY" was uttered by all in our group.  We ran (I am not ashamed), we broke distance records.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

Martin

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:37 am 
 

Prufrock wrote:I do not know if I should post this here, but I cannot find any other place so here will have to do.

I play 3e every other friday with my group.  During last friday play, while ransacking a dungeon of our DM's own making (with characters at 5th level), we rounded a corner and 60 feet down the torchlit hallway was a Beholder  8O .  A loud yell of "RUN AWAY" was uttered by all in our group.  We ran (I am not ashamed), we broke distance records.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

Martin


errrr ok :)

mind you, i would have done that if someone had offered for me to PLAY 3e :D

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:50 pm 
 

That was one lucky beholder!


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1882
Joined: Mar 26, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 30, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:03 pm 
 

nah, it was probably a gas spore (in 3E it might have been a half-dragon/half gnome/half black puddin/half rice pudding/paladin/assassin gas spore! :lol: )


You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:39 pm 
 

gyg wrote:nah, it was probably a gas spore (in 3E it might have been a half-dragon/half gnome/half black puddin/half rice pudding/paladin/assassin gas spore! :lol: )


or a flying christmas pudding that some wizard (or whatever the 3E terminology is for one of these :D ) was levitating just to have a little fun :)

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:11 pm 
 

gyg wrote:nah, it was probably a gas spore (in 3E it might have been a half-dragon/half gnome/half black puddin/half rice pudding/paladin/assassin gas spore! :lol: )


:roll:


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:01 pm 
 

This isn't worth a new thread, but I wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on the Dungeon boardgame? I never played it back in the day, and now I'm wondering which of the three versions to pursue:

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

The "classic" version (1992).

Was there a "best" version? Any opinions?

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 30, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:09 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:This isn't worth a new thread, but I wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on the Dungeon boardgame? I never played it back in the day, and now I'm wondering which of the three versions to pursue:

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

The "classic" version (1992).

Was there a "best" version? Any opinions?


I played/owned the 1989 New Dungeon..it was a lot of fun (not sure what happened to the plastic figures, but the board split and I believe I kept the cards and dice.) Anyway not having the others to compare to I can't say what would be the "best".

ShaneG.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1271
Joined: Jan 09, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 17, 2020
Location: Azeroth

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:13 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:This isn't worth a new thread, but I wondering if anyone has a strong opinion on the Dungeon boardgame? I never played it back in the day, and now I'm wondering which of the three versions to pursue:

The original (1975);

The New Dungeon (1989);

The "classic" version (1992).

Was there a "best" version? Any opinions?


I have only played the original. The earlier printing version does not seem as popular as the larger box. It was really fun if you wanted a fantasy board game but did not want to go into the depth of say Talisman. I did not know about the middle version. Is it that much different than the first version?


Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:33 pm 
 

My understanding is that the editions are, in fact, noticably different — rules, board layout, cards, etc. What I'm hoping to find out from my original question is which version might be most suited to my style of play.

I suppose I'll probably just end up searching for a reasonable deal on an eBay BIN. I'm leaning toward the 1992 version.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1271
Joined: Jan 09, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 17, 2020
Location: Azeroth

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:38 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:My understanding is that the editions are, in fact, noticably different — rules, board layout, cards, etc. What I'm hoping to find out from my original question is which version might be most suited to my style of play.

I suppose I'll probably just end up searching for a reasonable deal on an eBay BIN. I'm leaning toward the 1992 version.



Did not know that each was that much different. I may have to look into picking up the ones I don't have. I will wait a few months so as not to compete with your search.


Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:20 pm 
 

i have the original 1975 one that i play with my daughter who is 7 and absolutely loves it. never had the others, but this one has an "old" feel to it which i quite like in my board games, and so this one gets my preference anyway, just cos of that.

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 30, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:37 pm 
 

The one I played had the monster cards with 6 numbers (different colors) you had to roll that # or higher to kill it. Easy game used the red colored #s, harder game allowed spell use, etc though different classes had to use other colored #s

ShaneG.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:44 pm 
 

in the original one, each monster card has a number that the hero/elf/superhero or wizard needs to attack and kill it by combat. it also has a figure for the wizard spells (fireball or lightning bolt).

i find the system very simple and the kids play it with us regularly and it works for us all.

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 30, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:58 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:in the original one, each monster card has a number that the hero/elf/superhero or wizard needs to attack and kill it by combat. it also has a figure for the wizard spells (fireball or lightning bolt).

i find the system very simple and the kids play it with us regularly and it works for us all.

Al


So 6 numbers right? Talking about the spells I recall the last two were for just those.
On the one I played it had the sections of dungeon color coded..I've seen the board of an earlier version with designations of 1st level, 2nd level, etc and I don't recall that on mine. (I'm gonna have to find those cards now)

ShaneG.

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 32 of 100123 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 9899100