Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 28 of 111123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:40 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Badmike wrote:
  Unfortunately I don't really drink foreign beers because of the cost involved, and most American beers to put it bluntly aren't worth the time to spit in.

My favorite beer is probably "Elephant Beer".  Man, three or four of those, and you're hammered.  As for American beers, what about some of the Sam Adams varietals?  My favorite is the "Old Fezziwig Ale".

I love drinking, but I"m a very sad case. Most beer gives me a skullbuster ofa headache, I'm allergic to either the hops or barley or something.  There are only a few varieties I drink that don't knock me out.  I made the mistake one night of drinking a dark, thick souplike Stout at a local beer joint that tatsted great but gave me a migraine for several days, now I stay away from all stouts just in case.   I stick to scotch or tequila but the beers I mentioned don't seem to have any effect so i cling to them when I need a brew.  
   King, did you try World Market? I'm sureyou've got one up there in Plano, they often have some pretty eclectic varities of foreign beers.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:04 pm 

Heh, heh... those both look familiar: used to hop off at London Bridge en-route back from Kent to points-North :)

If you like Belgian bottles (and draft) and are planning a raid on Al's at a future date, a short detour will take you to the Bhurtpore Inn; 100 or so different Belgian bottled beers last time I was there and good food, too. Not too shabby for a rural pub...
Presuming you can cope with being that far from an underground station, that is! (no, Cheshire is not on the Northern Line ;))

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:13 pm 

sheeadog wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:
I have to agree with the above post.  In my opinion, one of the best American beers is Samuel Adams.  Their seasonal brews are exceptional.  Just picked up a six of Spring Ale...kinda like a Belgian Wheat.  I used to buy the Scotch Ale and Double Bock quite often but cant get it around here anymore.  I bought a bottle of the Triple Bock when it came out.  Frankly it tasted like an alcohol infused fruit syrup.  And the $5 price tag for one bottle was enough of a reason not to buy it again.

I have to agree with you on that.  Sam's Winter Lager is the one I like the best.  It's just about the only thing I like about winter...

Actually that is one of Sam's beers that I dont drink.  I dont drink it for the same reason I dont drink Pete's Wicked Winter Brew.  I dont think beer should taste like pumpkin pie.  :D   I really like the White Ale, Summer Ale, Spring Ale, and the Octoberfest.  I probably wouldnt like the Old Fezziwig's Ale since it is a similar recipe to the Winter Lager.  Their Hefeweizen, Pale Ale, and Black Lager are really good too.

King, did you try World Market? I'm sureyou've got one up there in Plano, they often have some pretty eclectic varities of foreign beers.

Actually World Market has a smaller selection than Central Market.  I pretty much get all my beer there now.  There is a german restaurant in Plano that has some really awesome beer.  This one: Schneider Aventinus Eisbock...really kicked my butt.  Only 120 cases are imported to the U.S. each month so it is a bit expensive...something like 9.50 a bottle.  It is something like 12 or 13% alcohol.  Drinking it is almost like drinking a boilermaker...it burns on the way down.  Come to think of it, it burned on the way out the next day too.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:26 pm 

I must admit that I haven't made the European tour.  Canada has some fine stuff and the microbrews here in the states have really made some good product.  We did spend a year down in New Mexico and I got to try several Mexican beers.  Bohemia is the only beer I'll drink regularly now.  Every once in awhile we'll make beer bread and have to buy a Budweiser or a Coors (shitty beer maketh great beer bread), and I get the rest.  Monty Python was right.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:50 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:...it burns on the way down.  Come to think of it, it burned on the way out the next day too.  :wink:

...ahh, truly you are the King of pain.  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:53 pm 

faro wrote:Heh, heh... those both look familiar: used to hop off at London Bridge en-route back from Kent to points-North :)

If you like Belgian bottles (and draft) and are planning a raid on Al's at a future date, a short detour will take you to the Bhurtpore Inn; 100 or so different Belgian bottled beers last time I was there and good food, too. Not too shabby for a rural pub...
Presuming you can cope with being that far from an underground station, that is! (no, Cheshire is not on the Northern Line ;))

Sounds good.  If I can brave the unrestrained foliage and 'colourful' locals of the countryside I might give it a go.   :wink:  

oh, if you (or anyone else) is thinking of drinking in London, easily the best online guide is:

Pub guide to London pubs and other pubs in the UK. | Fancyapint?

enjoy.  :)

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:07 pm 

Sadly 1,150 miles is a bit much for an evening's pub crawl, nowadays :?

=
*checks "Find pub by nearest tube station" option*... Neat, but I don't see any "estimated staggering time in order to catch last train"! :P

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:49 pm 

Usually I stick to hard stuff (Bourbon and Tequila, mostly) but when I have beer I generally drink micros and imports (Europe) but for cheap and grilling out, Coors Light is okay. Very easy on the system.

As for headaches and even worse, migraines, beware of companies that slip some rice into their brews (Budweiser is one). Many, many people have averse reactions to those kind of blends. And speaking from experience, the best remedy for a hangover is to hydrate like a madman 24 hours before the indulgence.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:57 pm 

If I am at the proverbial neighborhood party and we are drinking the night away, it is going to be MGD or MGD Light.

For that single beer at a restuarant, I'll go with a Killians or Guiness.

But like TigerKing, I generally will stick with the harder stuff like Jack and Coke or some sort of Vodka drink.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:39 pm 

red_bus wrote:
faro wrote:Heh, heh... those both look familiar: used to hop off at London Bridge en-route back from Kent to points-North :)

Sounds good.  If I can brave the unrestrained foliage and 'colourful' locals of the countryside I might give it a go.   :wink:  

oh, if you (or anyone else) is thinking of drinking in London, easily the best online guide is:

Pub guide to London pubs and other pubs in the UK. | Fancyapint?

enjoy.  :)

After looking at some of these places I really have to make a trip over there sometime just to go to some real English pubs.  The more history and interesting stories the better.  The Thatch at Faddiley looks like an interesting place.  I'd like to find a place like the one in "An American Werewolf in London" where the two Americans walk into the pub and all the locals turn around and look at them as if to say, "Great, more dumbass foreigners".  :D

Not a whole lot of "real" pubs around Dallas that I know of.  There are a couple of Irish pubs but they are very trendy and commercialized.  There is nothing like a good dive to hang out and just drink and listen to people's stories.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:35 am 

Coming up to London in a few weeks for a couple of days training.  So, I will hopefully be able to make use of this.  Thanks. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:29 am 

Tiger, you're right. However, I take it a few steps further. Since alcohol replaces water in the blood, and kills of a ton of vitamins, I drink tons of water before, during and after drinking.A multivitamin before and after. And, believe it or not, Pedialyte works absolute wonders the next day.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:17 am 

I also take a vitamin, forgot to mention that. But I haven't tried Pedialyte. I've been using Gatorade. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip!

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:21 pm 

Hydration?  Vitamins?  Have you gone soft?  What happened to the hair of the dog? :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:33 pm 

I didn't say what I chased the vitamin with... 8)

Seriously, I take a vitamin after my second drink and last thing before i crash or first thing next morning.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:12 pm 

When I lived in Scotland, THE hangover cure is Irn Bru.

Irn-Bru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Foul but effective.  8O

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:26 pm 

I always found Pepsi and cold, day-old fried chicken to be effective.  Of course, it depends on which latitude you're at within the continental U.S.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:54 pm 

johnhuck wrote:

Coming up to London in a few weeks for a couple of days training.  So, I will hopefully be able to make use of this.  Thanks. :wink:

If you (or anyone else) is likely to be up in London and at a loose end - do drop us a message and I can showcase a pub or two.  :)

Let's go fly a kite

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 28 of 111123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 109110111