Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 111123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 pm 

Lack of photos strikes again... Would've been a snip for a UK buyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8767580298
#10,11,12,13,21,23,37,38,40,41,42,44,47,48,49: $52

(Dragon #21 is a nuisance to find, too)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:15 pm 

I'm am so poor, I can't afford a vwl.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:11 pm 

I have a random, off-topic question for any of our Italian friends: how have you all been faring with the Olympic Games bringing its own unique form of chaos to your land?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:35 pm 

Zippanthropus wrote:I'm am so poor, I can't afford a vwl.

M lkng lswhr, snc "snip" not "snipe" ws ntntnl ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:56 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I have a random, off-topic question for any of our Italian friends: how have you all been faring with the Olympic Games bringing its own unique form of chaos to your land?

Well, first of all, the Olympic Games were geographically restricted in the snow centers of Piemonte. I live about 400 kilometers away from Torino, and I did not feel the impact of the Games. I have also gone to the mountains for a week, but again I was in a completely different location, so apart from people speacking of the Games there was nothing.

Beyond that, I was sometimes captured in front of the TV watching those disciplines that interested me most, but it would not have been that different if the Games were in Argentina. Knowing they were in Italy might give a different feeling, but again, for me and many other Italians, it was just a far away show on the TV.

If any, I have felt a bad effect before the Olympic Games, but that's not because of the Games, but because of idiots (oh, Italians can be VERY idiot at times). There was some disorder in Piemonte (which also extended to the opposite part of Italy, don't ask me why, but when it's time to make disorder some factions of Italy rush in regardless of whether they have any reason at all), due to a tunnel being built and the people living there not wanting it; for some unexplained reason, the disorder also turned against the incoming Games. People began demonstrating against the Olympic Games, waving some lovely flags depicting the five circles over a skull in a black background and such. The course of the torch also suffered slight deviations because of these demonstrations.

I do not know the reason of such stupid behavior. I suppose it has something to do with the anti-American feeling that some Italians like to show (oh well, of course I don't understand the reason of that feeling either), and the fact that these very knowledgeable people might associate the Games with America and that means they're evil. This of course supersedes the fact that Olympic Games existed in Greece well over 2 millennia before the USA were proclaimed and have been reestablished by a French baron, but I don't think they care that much about this, as long as they have an excuse to cause disorder.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:38 pm 

I believe our very own Rosenkav is from the area, though. Wait, let me check ... yep, he lists Turin* as his hometown. I hope you survived the madness, Franz! :)

+++++

*Or Torino, if you're an NBC television executive who thinks that us dumb Americans will be more impressed by that spelling.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:07 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:*Or Torino, if you're an NBC television executive who thinks that us dumb Americans will be more impressed by that spelling.

Well, no one calls New York "Nuova York", or Los Angeles "Gli Angeli" or Washington "Tonnellata Da Lavare". So I don't really understand when people feel the need to translate the names of our cities. I think the NBC television executive actually has a point.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:46 am 

Is anyone on the board a land surveyor?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:00 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Is anyone on the board a land surveyor?

No Frank but I do have to deal with them all the time and will be talking with 2 tonight at a planning board meeting. Send me an email of what ya need to know.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:05 am 

What's that, please?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:30 am 

guerret wrote:

What's that, please?

someone who measures and marks property/land for things like setting lot bounderies, elevations and stand-offs for construction, etc. ( probably a more defined expalnation but that's pretty much it in a nutshell )

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:22 pm 

Do we have a "I made a surprisingly good sale" thread here? I thought we did for a while, but now I can't find it.

I just had a sale that literally made me gasp (I hadn't checked on the auction in like three days). It's nowhere even remotely close to the same solar system of $2,000 sales that some of you are used to, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

If we do have such a thread, can someone post the link? If we don't, then ... well, I guess I'm just confused. Wouldn't be the first time ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:48 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Do we have a "I made a surprisingly good sale" thread here? I thought we did for a while, but now I can't find it.

I just had a sale that literally made me gasp (I hadn't checked on the auction in like three days). It's nowhere even remotely close to the same solar system of $2,000 sales that some of you are used to, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

If we do have such a thread, can someone post the link? If we don't, then ... well, I guess I'm just confused. Wouldn't be the first time ...

well why dont you just post it here and tell us anyway :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:38 am 

Needed to pop my 1,000th post cherry, so here it is:

This may be an odd question, but does Shiner Bock make it's way up north or anywhere in the Northeast? It's about the only stuff I will drink nowadays.  That and Celis, both are TX beers but I'm not sure how regional they are.  I've tried a lot of regional beers and micro brew stuff but keep coming back to these two.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:04 am 

Badmike wrote:Needed to pop my 1,000th post cherry, so here it is:

This may be an odd question, but does Shiner Bock make it's way up north or anywhere in the Northeast? It's about the only stuff I will drink nowadays.  That and Celis, both are TX beers but I'm not sure how regional they are.  I've tried a lot of regional beers and micro brew stuff but keep coming back to these two.

Mike B.

Haven't seen Shiner Bock up here in Mass, but I would assume someone has it. Seems like every month some new packie is popping up claiming it carries " 1000's of different beer" while the last one to claim such is closing down.

Sam Adams once put out a nice triple bock but really tough to find ( last made in 1997 ) one lot on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6257956564

Be warned...this is not for the faint at heart and to quote someone from mylifeisbeer.com : "I would rather lick a Bums Feet than drink this stuff again"   8O

Definitely an aquired taste, sipped slowly, but I liked it alot.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:46 am 

Lordan wrote:
Badmike wrote:Needed to pop my 1,000th post cherry, so here it is:

Mike B.

Haven't seen Shiner Bock up here in Mass, but I would assume someone has it. Seems like every month some new packie is popping up claiming it carries " 1000's of different beer" while the last one to claim such is closing down.

Sam Adams once put out a nice triple bock but really tough to find ( last made in 1997 ) one lot on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6257956564

Be warned...this is not for the faint at heart and to quote someone from mylifeisbeer.com : "I would rather lick a Bums Feet than drink this stuff again"   8O

Definitely an aquired taste, sipped slowly, but I liked it alot.

I have to agree with the above post.  In my opinion, one of the best American beers is Samuel Adams.  Their seasonal brews are exceptional.  Just picked up a six of Spring Ale...kinda like a Belgian Wheat.  I used to buy the Scotch Ale and Double Bock quite often but cant get it around here anymore.  I bought a bottle of the Triple Bock when it came out.  Frankly it tasted like an alcohol infused fruit syrup.  And the $5 price tag for one bottle was enough of a reason not to buy it again.

Mike, next time you are looking for a good beer let me know.  I pick up a six pack of something different every other week.  Right now I have three different beers in my fridge.  The Sam Adams Spring Ale, Spaten Optimator, and Blue Paddle.  A few weeks ago I finally finished off the rest of the Hobgoblin Ale and the Boddington's Stout I had been putting off drinking.  I only drink one beer every other night, so I usually have plenty around.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:07 am 

I think so; see my PM.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:59 am 

I can't drink cheap beer, I end up with the worst case of fireass for about 3 days. It has to be over $10 a case, it seems.
I mostly stick to red wine. I can justify it because it is supposed to be good for the heart. Although I don't think a half-gallon at a time is what they meant.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 111123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 109110111