Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 100123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 9899100
Author

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 558
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:33 pm 
 

<Also pulled down from  Interesting items on EBay>

MrFilthyIke wrote:
Daimajin wrote:As long as it includes strippers and Old Milwaukee I'm in :P


Gah, you drink The Beast?!?!?

Get that man a Guiness, stat! ;)


Heh, I do love Guiness ( might have seen my post about it being on my tap, that "keg" in a can aerator idea does it no justice ) but I must admit that for $14.00 a 30 pack it's a good filler between Guiness refills. :)

I got hooked in college...at something like $7 a case you couldn't beat it.....As for strippers...being in Art school we had to settle for The Kings Inn in Dartmouth...where every other stripper was a Crack Ho in training. 8O

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:38 pm 
 

I take it we either have a moderator now or else users are voluntarily moving their posts.

Either way, thank you.

The "interesting items" threads have been averaging about 40-percent off-topic posts lately ... :?

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:59 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
faro wrote:(January 1974, my foot... ^^ ).


Not to mention there were 1000 copies of the 1st print woody produced, but "By January 1975, there were perhaps 2000 or so of those brown boxes...in the hands of Players", while the printing date of the 2nd print was Jan. 75.

Probably just poor memory, but a little sloppy as well. Nonetheless, he obvioulsy wasn't writing that essay with an eye toward anyone's research interests.

Dangerous, huh?

Well at least being very sloppy to such a degree is easy to spot and discount in entirety, whereas just a single fact being wrong is a pain-in-the-neck, if presumed to be true (that January 1974 foreword date being the publication date, for example).

Actually, I'm rather happy now, because it's quite liberating to see such a litany of errors to reconfirm that primarily evidence-based critique is the way forward, regardless of whether that appears to trample the word of those who should be "experts" (having been there, in this case!).

*is quite happy to be proven wrong, too* :)


(yes, distribution date should be after that, too, presuming no other delays; and also allowing for there still being 1st prints in stock to sell, too! Admittedly the latter of those is not quite so large an issue when the printer is just down the road...)


Thanks, Stephen.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:04 pm 
 

faro wrote:evidence-based critique is the way forward


It's the only way forward in my discipline, and I'm glad of it, even though it can be quite painful to be corrected.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:12 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
faro wrote:evidence-based critique is the way forward

It's the only way forward in my discipline, and I'm glad of it, even though it can be quite painful to be corrected.

We're not quite in the same field here ;)

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:17 pm 
 

I got some funny a$$ fedback today.  Seems Mr Badolato has sense of humor: :P

eBay Feedback Profile for bclarkie

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:20 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:I got some funny a$$ fedback today. Seems Mr Badolato has sense of humor: :P

eBay Feedback Profile for bclarkie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*rofl*. That's cute! :D

Nice one, Mike.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:48 pm 
 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:I got some funny a$$ fedback today. Seems Mr Badolato has sense of humor: :P

eBay Feedback Profile for bclarkie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*rofl*. That's cute! :D

Nice one, Mike.


LOL

Well, I leave my feedback in bunches and get tired of the cut and paste typical response, and Brian buys from me often....
So I jazzed it up a bit for him...thought the JonB reference was appropriate being as BC was his main nemesis...
Now don't everyone go thinking I'm leaving individualized feedback for them, it's back to cut and paste..... :D

Speaking of the Devil, is this the longest down time between JonB appearances?  Wasn't his last sighting in May 2005 or thereabouts? Didnt' he once take about a year off when he was the Game Emporium?

Mike B .

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:54 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:Speaking of the Devil, is this the longest down time between JonB appearances? Wasn't his last sighting in May 2005 or thereabouts? Didnt' he once take about a year off when he was the Game Emporium?

Mike B .


Good ole jonb was deactivated most recently on July 7th. I would suspect thst since he monitors this forum, he is possibly still waiting until the furor recedes again perhaps before he shows up  for the 4th time.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:06 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:
Badmike wrote:Speaking of the Devil, is this the longest down time between JonB appearances? Wasn't his last sighting in May 2005 or thereabouts? Didnt' he once take about a year off when he was the Game Emporium?

Mike B .


Good ole jonb was deactivated most recently on July 7th. I would suspect thst since he monitors this forum, he is possibly still waiting until the furor recedes again perhaps before he shows up for the 4th time.


So it's just been barely 6 months.  He's got a few more months to hopefully make everyone forget him, maybe spring or summer this year. One only hopes he's stupid enough to keep recycling the same listing format so he'll be spotted again quickly.

Mike  B.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:11 am 
 

Wow!! This went a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to go for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Nice win stratochamp. :)   Where was everyone else on this one?  I didnt expect it to go over $1000 or anything, but geez $66.66? :o


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:18 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:Wow!! This went a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to go for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Nice win stratochamp. :)  Where was everyone else on this one? I didnt expect it to go over $1000 or anything, but geez $66.66? :o

Could ask you the same question, Brian. $65.66? ;)

The usual, phps; a bit too recent, not quite enough "interest", nor the money around just now?
Must admit I'd expected around the $100 mark, though, even with all that.


Oh, and Al and Ian weren't leading out the bidding, of course. ;)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:21 pm 
 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Wow!! This went a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to go for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Nice win stratochamp. :) Where was everyone else on this one? I didnt expect it to go over $1000 or anything, but geez $66.66? :o

Could ask you the same question, Brian. $65.66? ;)

The usual, phps; a bit too recent, not quite enough "interest", nor the money around just now?
Must admit I'd expected around the $100 mark, though, even with all that.


Oh, and Al and Ian weren't leading out the bidding, of course. ;)


i had ONE item on my watch list....and that was it.

was at my mum n dads for lunch - and i missed the end by 4 mins :(

i was going to bid $84.89

ah well less money spent :)

Al



  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:24 pm 
 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Wow!! This went a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to go for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Nice win stratochamp. :) Where was everyone else on this one? I didnt expect it to go over $1000 or anything, but geez $66.66? :o

Could ask you the same question, Brian. $65.66? ;)

The usual, phps; a bit too recent, not quite enough "interest", nor the money around just now?
Must admit I'd expected around the $100 mark, though, even with all that.


Oh, and Al and Ian weren't leading out the bidding, of course. ;)


My bid was simply a, WTF it seems to be dragging along with no activity and maybe I will get it on the cheap bids. :) I never even expected to be in the ballpark for 2 reasons: 1) it is an official tournament, but more importantly 2) it was a burntwire brothers auction where people seem to lose all self control and just go nuts. :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:55 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:Wow!! This went a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to go for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Nice win stratochamp. :)  Where was everyone else on this one? I didnt expect it to go over $1000 or anything, but geez $66.66? :o


I probably would have bid on it if the burntbrothers hadn't advertised that it was also available in Polyhedron... I actually didn't know that until this auction, and then felt little need to bid.  Perhaps others felt the same way.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:15 pm 
 

No time to trawl through the hundreds of unread posts.  So, apologies if I'm repeating someone.

True Love is but a +2 Broadsword away. :lol:
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Fleeting visit.  Tax return deadline midnight 31/1/2006.  And I'm too Yorkshire not to do it myself.  Bye...

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:08 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:No time to trawl through the hundreds of unread posts. So, apologies if I'm repeating someone.

True Love is but a +2 Broadsword away. :lol:
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Fleeting visit. Tax return deadline midnight 31/1/2006. And I'm too Yorkshire not to do it myself. Bye...


Welcome back, John, however briefly.  I was wondering whether you'd been taken down by one of those vicious black belts or something.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:07 am 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Welcome back, John, however briefly. I was wondering whether you'd been taken down by one of those vicious black belts or something.


All too frequently I'm afraid.  But I'm hoping to join that rank in one discipline in the next year and start dishing out some of my own cans of whup-ass :wink: Just need to avoid the injuries.  :?

And as we're on the subject, this also made me laugh
Chuck Norris Facts |

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:11 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:And as we're on the subject, this also made me laugh
Chuck Norris Facts |


Oh my god, what a good laugh.

A couple of my favorites:

In an average living room there are 1,242 objects Chuck Norris could use to kill you, including the room itself.


Chuck Norris discovered a new theory of relativity involving multiple universes in which Chuck Norris is even more badass than in this one. When it was discovered by Albert Einstein and made public, Chuck Norris roundhouse-kicked him in the face. We know Albert Einstein today as Stephen Hawking.


If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:47 am 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
johnhuck wrote:And as we're on the subject, this also made me laugh
Chuck Norris Facts |


Oh my god, what a good laugh.

A couple of my favorites:

In an average living room there are 1,242 objects Chuck Norris could use to kill you, including the room itself.


Chuck Norris discovered a new theory of relativity involving multiple universes in which Chuck Norris is even more badass than in this one. When it was discovered by Albert Einstein and made public, Chuck Norris roundhouse-kicked him in the face. We know Albert Einstein today as Stephen Hawking.


If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.


My brother worked for Chuck Norris for several years when he was part owner of Lone Wolf cigars (the other owner was Jim Belushi).  Apparantly in real life Chuck was as dull as dishwater and a nice guy.  The comedy was his entourage of hangers on (yes, Chuck had a large entourage) including his business managers and accountants who were all cheerfully unrepentant crooks, scumbags and weasels.  Tons of hilarious stories there.

Mike B.

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 21 of 100123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 9899100