Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:42 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I think that makes #666...RPGNow...the Anti-Christ.

Isn't he the guy who sells all the PDF modules  8O
Interesting kharma here :?

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:44 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Was Quag Keep any good?

For the time it was written and the age I read at I would say yes. It is a book I have been afraid to read again for fear that it will not have aged well. I remember reading it right after I started gaming and loving it. I had just made the transition from hard sci-fi to fantasy at that time as well thans to the LotR so that had an affect as well.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:37 am 

Andre Norton's Quag Keep dates from the era when role-playing games themselves were an interesting new idea (like Ronna Jaffe's Mazes and Monsters was also a cash in on the idea...although her's was more noxious).

The short answer is:  No

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:10 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:

Andre Norton's Quag Keep dates from the era when role-playing games themselves were an interesting new idea (like Ronna Jaffe's Mazes and Monsters was also a cash in on the idea...although her's was more noxious).
The short answer is: No
Mark

I'll defend part-way at least.

Middling-average perhaps IIRC (especially in a modern context), but Andre had no need to "cash in on the idea" and the D&D fan base was hardly huge at the time. Another Witch World book would probably have made her as much, if not more money.
In fact, it was Gary who tacitly or otherwise encouraged the book; being a fan of hers, he sent her the Monster Manual- and possibly others before and later?- when those came out and they presumably had a degree of correspondence: she returned the compliment by writing a Greyhawk novel.

There was a 3 year gap between Quag Keep (early 1978) and Mazes and Monsters (mid 1981) which also places the two works a large distance apart in terms of RPG writing chronology, IMHO.

=
Regarding role-playing games themselves being an "interesting new idea", Arthur C. Clarke's "The City and the Stars" (1956) pre-dates EGG by a decade and a half, and leaps far ahead of Gary's thoughts on the subject even in the later 1970s.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:22 am 

harami2000 wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:Andre Norton's Quag Keep dates from the era when role-playing games themselves were an interesting new idea (like Ronna Jaffe's Mazes and Monsters was also a cash in on the idea...although her's was more noxious).
The short answer is: No
Mark

I'll defend part-way at least.

Middling-average perhaps IIRC (especially in a modern context), but Andre had no need to "cash in on the idea" and the D&D fan base was hardly huge at the time. Another Witch World book would probably have made her as much, if not more money.
In fact, it was Gary who tacitly or otherwise encouraged the book; being a fan of hers, he sent her the Monster Manual- and possibly others before and later?- when those came out and they presumably had a degree of correspondence: she returned the compliment by writing a Greyhawk novel.

There was a 3 year gap between Quag Keep (early 1978) and Mazes and Monsters (mid 1981) which also places the two works a large distance apart in terms of RPG writing chronology, IMHO.

=
Regarding role-playing games themselves being an "interesting new idea", Arthur C. Clarke's "The City and the Stars" (1956) pre-dates EGG by a decade and a half, and leaps far ahead of Gary's thoughts on the subject even in the later 1970s.

Well, then simply edit my answer to....No.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:33 am 

I have a stupid question and rather than create a new thread, I decided to put this here.   The old TSR game Metamorphisi Alpha, did this come in a box set or was it a stand alone booklet??  Any help would be much appreciated. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:55 am 

bclarkie wrote:I have a stupid question and rather than create a new thread, I decided to put this here. The old TSR game Metamorphisi Alpha, did this come in a box set or was it a stand alone booklet?? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

I was just a booklet. It has a tear out sheet at the back. Gamma World came as a boxed set though.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:18 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:I have a stupid question and rather than create a new thread, I decided to put this here. The old TSR game Metamorphisi Alpha, did this come in a box set or was it a stand alone booklet?? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

I was just a booklet. It has a tear out sheet at the back. Gamma World came as a boxed set though.

Thanks Ian. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:53 pm 

Am sure this has been seen, but thought to post this anyway. Having dug this out to scan, I came upon this Gygax Introduction for the Mayfair CSIO..
http://tinypic.com/k9gnkx.jpg
As you can see Gygax talks about the brown boxes (woodgrain) stick on labels, and a handful of reference sheets, etc...

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:34 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Whatever...............

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:43 pm 

congrats to jeff and stephen on winning them character archaics!!!

was very tempted to go for one of them, but i am just in the midst of spending my $ so good one to the both of you :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:44 pm 

bclarkie wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Whatever...............

8O  8O  8O

awww man!

hey BC when i was watching that, i saw you were winning it, which was why i was oriignally leaving it alone.

bummer man :(

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:44 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:congrats to jeff and stephen on winning them character archaics!!!

was very tempted to go for one of them, but i am just in the midst of spending my $ so good one to the both of you :)

Al

I dont even know why I waste my time. I mean shit, why bother buying one when you can buy them all, right. :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:16 am 

Every have one of those days when you need a laugh?

Wife ®
*Software info*

Last year a friend of mine upgraded from Girlfriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 and found that it's a memory hog leaving few system resources for other applications. He is also now noticing that Wife 1.0 is also spawning Child-Processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomenon was included in the product documentation, though other users have informed me that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application.

Not only that, Wife 1.0 installs itself so that it is always launched at system initialization where it can monitor all other system activity. Some applications such as PokerNite 10.3, BeerBash 2.5, and Pubnite 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all, crashing the system when launched (even though these apps worked fine before).

Wife 1.0 provides no installation options. Thus, the installation of undesired plug-ins such as Mother-in-law 55.8 and Brother-in-law Beta is unavoidable. Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Some features my friend would like to see in the upcoming Wife 2.0:

•        A «Don't Remind me Again» button.
•        Minimize button
•        An install shield feature that allows Wife 2.0 to be installed with the option of uninstalling at any time without loss of Cache and other system resources.
•        An option to run the network driver in «promiscuous mode» which would allow the system's Hardware Probe feature to be much more useful.

I myself decided to avoid all of the headaches associated with Wife 1.0 by sticking with Girlfriend 2.0. Even here, however, I have found many problems. Apparently you cannot install girlfriend 2.0 on top of Girlfriend 1.0. You must uninstall Girlfriend 1.0 first, otherwise the two versions of Girlfriend will have conflicts over shared use of the I/O port. Other users have told me that this is a long-standing bug that I should have been aware of.

To make matters worse, the uninstall program for Girlfriend 1.0 doesn't work very well, leaving undesirable traces of the application in the system. Another thing that sucks is that all versions of Girlfriend continually popup annoying little messages about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0.

******** BUG WARNING ********

Wife 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Mistress 1.1 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then, for some reason, Mistress 1.1 won't install, claiming insufficient resources.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:41 am 

Plaag wrote:Am sure this has been seen, but thought to post this anyway. Having dug this out to scan, I came upon this Gygax Introduction for the Mayfair CSIO..
As you can see Gygax talks about the brown boxes (woodgrain) stick on labels, and a handful of reference sheets, etc...

ShaneG.

Thanks for that post, Shane.  It's interesting that Gygax says "City-State was the first approved "module" for the D&D game system, in practical terms".

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:42 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
Plaag wrote:Am sure this has been seen, but thought to post this anyway. Having dug this out to scan, I came upon this Gygax Introduction for the Mayfair CSIO..
ShaneG.

Thanks for that post, Shane. It's interesting that Gygax says "City-State was the first approved "module" for the D&D game system, in practical terms".

Interesting, Shane. Thanks.
Never had the "pleasure" of owning that one ;)

The printing numbers and dates quoted appear highly inconsistent and unreliable compared with other data. Printing figures certainly appear inflated to make up the fact that a large number of rules sets in circulation early-on were photocopies. (EGG appears to be stating there were ~10,000 woodgrain sets printed :)).
In one sentence "maybe 12,000 sets as of January 1976", in another "10,000 or so Gamemasters in 1977". Who culled the earlier ones? :D
Very vague on the start date for JG, too; "some time in 1976, if I recall" :P
Memories fade... :(

Yeah, Stephen, interesting quote re. first "module".
Can understand why that might be promoted in the context of this being a CSIO re-release, but conveniently airbrushes out other people who were apparently never paid for their publications distributed via TSR... :?

Don't believe everything you read... but still gives a good flavor, despite those flaws.

(January 1974, my foot... ^^ ).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:40 pm 

I can't believe this slipped through for only $.01:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Granted the shipping cost was absolutely absurd, but geez $0.01. 8O  Is there anyone else out there who forgot to bid on this or did did it just slip through the cracks or is there just that much indifference to Battlesystem now. :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:13 pm 

<pulls this down out of the Interesting items on EBay thread so Foul doesn't kill us :twisted: >

afoolandhis$ wrote:
bclarkie wrote:There is a difference between Old Milwaukee and Milwakee's Best(aka "the Beast"). :wink: The Beast is actually produced by none other than Miller. :D Truth be told though, if it wasn't for The Beast being sold at a cost of $8.60 w/tax(yes thats right I remember it to the penny :lol: ) per case, both my high school and college years would have been much less eventful. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Grainbelt, you name it, if it was under $10 a case, we drank it....

Ain't that the truth. Christ they could have put anti-freeze in cans and called it penzoil lite and if it was cheap we would have drank it. :P

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111