Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 111123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 109110111
Author


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2022

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:23 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:just spotted this relisted on creeps stuff...



Ad&d Module: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons | eBay



reckon its actually worth that?



course i have one listed for under half that, at least, un-shrinked tho....reckon they are still the draw?



Al




Well at least he was able to completely wipe all the dust off it that its been collecting before he took the picture this time. :wink: I especially love this:
creep the jerk off wrote:THIS ITEM TO BE SOLD TO PRE-APPROVED BIDDERS ! DROP ME A LINE




You have to be preapproved to buy this item? :lol:  Needless to say, I really don't expect his email box to filling with "Can I buy this item?" emails :P


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:46 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:
You have to be preapproved to buy this item? :lol: Needless to say, I really don't expect his email box to filling with "Can I buy this item?" emails :P




yeah i saw that bit - was gonna stick it onto the silly items or the laughable ones, but thought here was good so we can talk about it.



wonder why you have to be pre-approved ? seems pretty lame imo. after all its a feckin BIN for gods sake.



well thats a good way of alienating yourself to most buyers imo. most ppl would look at that and think....er sounds dodgy *avoid*



Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2022

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:49 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
well thats a good way of alienating yourself to most buyers imo. most ppl would look at that and think....er sounds dodgy *avoid*



Al




Well, that of course if the $179 BIN hasn't already done so.  :P


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4522
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:56 am 
 

Hey does anyone know where Mike/IO has been, or what his personal email address is?



ShaneG.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 26, 2022

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:01 am 
 

Plaag wrote:Hey does anyone know where Mike/IO has been, or what his personal email address is?



ShaneG.




I was wondering that myself. He hasn't been on since October 17, which was right before Florida got drilled with a hurricane. I am hoping all is well and he has just been too busy to come around, which is entirely possible since it has happened before. :? Sorry I dont have a direct email addy though, all my correspondace with him privately has been via PM.



<edit> A good place to start for his email would be stormber. :wink: Or on second thought, you could try messaging him right through EBay. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:14 am 
 

Marlith wrote:What is a Fiendish Gravetouched Ghoul Swarm-Shifter Troll.


And more importantly, how the hell does the DM integrate one of them into his "you all meet in the tavern" campaign?   :roll:

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:27 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
Marlith wrote:What is a Fiendish Gravetouched Ghoul Swarm-Shifter Troll.


And more importantly, how the hell does the DM integrate one of them into his "you all meet in the tavern" campaign?  :roll:




that really has to be one of the most ridiculous monster names/concepts i have ever heard of. wtf is that all about  :?


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:47 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
And more importantly, how the hell does the DM integrate one of them into his "you all meet in the tavern" campaign? :roll:




that really has to be one of the most ridiculous monster names/concepts i have ever heard of. wtf is that all about :?


Ok, it's not a PC, at least.  But that certainly seems like a complete waste of time "building" a monster and then trying to make it invulnerable.  Modern DM's need to get a backbone!



If the DM wants to be a munchkin, (presumably for plot purposes rather than general nastiness), he's allowed.  Just slap an "Amulet of DM's Pet" on the creature and be done with it.  You can rationalize it to your players how ever you need to, they generally believe what they're told, anyway.  It's so much easier than wading through all of that.  :roll:

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3863
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 27, 2022
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:07 am 
 

I have always detested the "morph" monster to fit a circumstance or event. It is just to damn contrived. An example of this is when you run across some trolls and they all happen to have rings of fire resistance.



There are more than enough monsters in MM, MMII (and ech FF) plus the others that showed up in modules to cover just about everything. But twisting monsters to so that a writer can make an encounter work is crap. I am not trying to be an absolutist, but most of the time, it is just flat out lame and uninspiring.


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5659
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: May 18, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:15 am 
 

Well, this troll is a joke, no doubt, but there were occasional parallels in 1E. However, they were VERY occasional, and always appropriate.

Now here we have a troll who is immune to everything but fire and acid (even disintegrate?!?!). And lo and behold, he has fire and acid resistance.

Ridiculous. Or 3E. Whichever term you prefer.

In 1E, you'd see things like a pack of ghouls guarding a scoll of protection from paralyzation, but almost never did a monster's weakness get offset. What the heck is the use in a troll like this?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:19 am 
 

are there any other monsters like that?



seems really strange that it hasnt even been thought through at all....



it may well be fantasy, but surely somewhere, there has to be a hint of realism, in the sense that there has to be some common-sense in how something is "made up".


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5659
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: May 18, 2022
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:25 pm 
 

Most nonstandard 3E monsters are like that.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7968
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 24, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:20 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:are there any other monsters like that?



seems really strange that it hasnt even been thought through at all....



it may well be fantasy, but surely somewhere, there has to be a hint of realism, in the sense that there has to be some common-sense in how something is "made up".




Honestly, this isn't a dig at 3e, but what do the apellations "Dire" and "Fiendish" mean when stuck in front of the description of an otherwise standard D&D monster?  I read a lot of the modules but have never bothered to read the 3e Monster Manual to find out.



Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:22 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
Honestly, this isn't a dig at 3e, but what do the apellations "Dire" and "Fiendish" mean when stuck in front of the description of an otherwise standard D&D monster? I read a lot of the modules but have never bothered to read the 3e Monster Manual to find out.



Mike B.




dire prb means they pull a better face and fiendish is prb where they stick on bigger teeth or something. either way they can add a few HD on and that sorta thing :D


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 24, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:41 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:are there any other monsters like that?



seems really strange that it hasnt even been thought through at all....



it may well be fantasy, but surely somewhere, there has to be a hint of realism, in the sense that there has to be some common-sense in how something is "made up".




Honestly, this isn't a dig at 3e, but what do the apellations "Dire" and "Fiendish" mean when stuck in front of the description of an otherwise standard D&D monster? I read a lot of the modules but have never bothered to read the 3e Monster Manual to find out.



Mike B.




Dire and Fiendish are templates that make the monsters larger and meaner.  For example Fiendish give damage reduction, smite good one per day and a few other abilities.  Monsters in 3.5 ed are not always as they seem.



J


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:06 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:
Dire and Fiendish are templates that make the monsters larger and meaner. For example Fiendish give damage reduction, smite good one per day and a few other abilities. Monsters in 3.5 ed are not always as they seem.



J




so we would have like fiendish butterflies and dire shrews? :D



seems a little daft to me


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6646
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:13 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:
Dire and Fiendish are templates that make the monsters larger and meaner. For example Fiendish give damage reduction, smite good one per day and a few other abilities. Monsters in 3.5 ed are not always as they seem.



J




so we would have like fiendish butterflies and dire shrews? :D



seems a little daft to me


Or a Fiendish Dire Bunny! Run away! Run away!


This week I've been mostly eating . . . radishes.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:18 pm 
 

or a fiendish caterpillar, or a dire ladybird...



heh :)


Are we nearly there yet?

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 17 of 111123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 109110111