Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 16 of 111123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 109110111
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:46 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Even better this time around. Dan, you've got to be happy with that. Congratulations.

indeed! looks like everything turned out just right in the end :)

Al

Looks that way.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it is very dark.  (Groucho Marx)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:57 pm 

I am pretty surprised that this auction did not go even higher than this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

1st print DMG, 1st Print MM, and 1st Print PHB.  Granted there were annoying stickers or price tags on the books, but other than that, they all were in top shape.  Nice win ifearyeti. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:24 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I am pretty surprised that this auction did not go even higher than this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

1st print DMG, 1st Print MM, and 1st Print PHB. Granted there were annoying stickers or price tags on the books, but other than that, they all were in top shape. Nice win ifearyeti. :)

yeah good win there ifearyeti - i was meaning to bid on that, but missed the end. the price i had in mind was $200, so i wouldnt have won anyway :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 pm 

Okay, by request, I switched the title around a bit. Hope this helps. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:55 pm 

Whom does "Thee" refer to?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:56 pm 

Wait, in the spirit of the sentiment, let me change that to "To whom does "Thee" refer?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:56 pm 

Damn!  That was quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:00 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Damn! That was quick!

I realized my mistake as soon as I changed the name. :)  It must be all these well spoken UK gents starting to rub off on me, making me want to say thee and thou. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:02 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Damn! That was quick!

I realized my mistake as soon as I changed the name. :) It must be all these well spoken UK gents starting to rub off on me, making me want to say thee and thou. :wink:

thee and thou??!! you gotta be kidding right? :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:29 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

I realized my mistake as soon as I changed the name. :) It must be all these well spoken UK gents starting to rub off on me, making me want to say thee and thou. :wink:

You mean you guys dont use those terms anymore. :P {j/k}

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Ye might find this link interesting.  It even features Canadians! ;)

http://www.forestfaire.com/language-guide.html

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:01 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

us northerners never did. its them southern whelps that gave us a bad name :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:34 pm 

Since three people have now queried, the lesson for today is "always ask questions" :)

Not that I always follow my own advice...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8733453698

"The set is in extremely good condition and the books look as if they have never been used, or even thumbed"

Interesting; looks crisp enough, but is that a waterstain at the top?

Time to ask a lateral question ("convince me it's not an OCE") and probe about the condition...

Seller's response => "While the contents are in extremely good condition, the box is a bit grubby having been stored for many years"

OK; photos please :)

*g*. Now that explains why the books are stacked in the first pic.

Is but a flesh wound: complete with minor rubbing & blood spattering... :P

Books haven't been "thumbed", but the ref. sheets definitely were: for what anyone seems to care 'bout those ;)

Still a decent set, but not quite as good as the initial scan might've hinted.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:49 pm 

Bah...Questions?....Who the hell asks questions? I am too feckin lazy to ask questions most of the time. :roll: Unless of course the Question is "Do you have a Buy It Now Price in mind?!". :P

Seriously though, I dont ask near enough questions most of the time, truth being is that I have a tendancy to rely a little too much on the photography. :oops: I haven't really gotten burned yet on a high value item, usually because someone else who also isnt asking any questions either outbids me......

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I haven't really gotten burned yet on a high value item, usually because someone else who isnt asking any questions either outbids me......

*g*. Valid point!

bclarkie wrote:Unless of course the Question is "Do you have a Buy It Now Price in mind?!". :P

Some people... :roll: :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Bah...Questions?....Who the hell asks questions? I am too feckin lazy to ask questions most of the time. :roll: Unless of course the Question is "Do you have a Buy It Now Price in mind?!". :P

Seriously though, I dont ask near enough questions most of the time, truth being is that I have a tendancy to rely a little too much on the photography. :oops: I haven't really gotten burned yet on a high value item, usually because someone else who also isnt asking any questions either outbids me......

That's one reason I seldom buy items on Ebay anymore.  Very rarely, unless it's an established seller, do the descriptions enter into any sort of relevant detail.  So you actually have to ask a question to find out that the entire load of magazines were dropped into a swimming pool once upon a time.

I had three bad magazine orders in a row, each one right after the other came with unseen damage, missing items, and flat out wrong descriptions, I now try to only buy mags I can see with my own eyes.

Mike B.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:34 am 

Let me start off by saying I have never been one to beat up on 3E or 3.5E and have bought a good portion of the core stuff just because I am a completist at heart. I have also blindly downloaded the offerings they have on the wizards.com site and saved them. Tonight I actually looked a little closer at one of the monster templates they use....

D&D Fight Club: Chuladoal, The Fiendish Gravetouched Ghoul Swarm-Shifter Troll

What is a Fiendish Gravetouched Ghoul Swarm-Shifter Troll. This thing has a CR 8...not sure what exactly how the CR works I know it has to do with an encounter rating or something like that. I thought I saw where these go to 20 (if it is only 10 that might not be so bad) and this chap is only an 8?

All I can say it WTF am I supposed to do with this. I am trying to imagine what the great foes of 1E and 2E would have looked like or been transformed to if they had initially been written under 3E. The named Demons, Devils and even Gods in the D&DG books did not need that much of a write up....but then again the fellow I linked to could probably whip up on any two of them together.

I just wanted to ramble a bit. I will still probably continue to download and review but just to feed my neurosis. I would have to say I now have at least part of a foot in the 3e sucks camp!

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:13 am 

just spotted this relisted on creeps stuff...

Ad&d Module: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons | eBay

reckon its actually worth that?

course i have one listed for under half that, at least, un-shrinked tho....reckon they are still the draw?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 16 of 111123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 109110111