Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 12 of 111123 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:22 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Does anyone know what the hell to make of this this:

Dungeon Game TSR | eBay

It is a black 3 ring binder with a cut up Greyhawk Folio pasted on the front. The thing of it is I have never in my entire life seen the cover of a folio like that with big black bold text on it and clearly no copyright stamp in the white area. Weirdest thing that I have ever seen before. :? Does anyone know anything about this, or am I just losing my feckin mind???

<edit> The more I look at this thing the more I think that I have seen this before. The thing of it is, that if I had to guess looking at it, I would say that this folio cover may actually PREDATE the current listed 1st printing Greyhawk folio due the way its formatted text is. Any thoughts????

We'll have to enhance that photo and try to read the text there for some clues.  I don't have any useful tools for that at work but I'll try to get into it from home tonight.  

Some precursory notes:
There's some illegible text in the top right where none exists on known folios (or TSR in red)
Obviously different font on the "World of Greyhawk" area.
No "9025" product code
No "TSR Presents"
No wizard/TSR face logo at all.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:49 pm 

Just a guess, but it looks a lot like a pre-pub ad to me...could it be from Dragon Magazine? Towards the bottom it reads "from TSR" and "The Game Wizards", which makes me think it's an ad. Maybe someone photocopied one of the WoG sets, hole-punched it, put it in a binder and slapped a color ad on the cover?

Unless the seller can provide more information, I wouldn't bid on it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:55 pm 

For those of your watching this auction and intending to bid - be aware that Dungeon Magazine #1-24 are NOT included. I didn't see them in the pics and have communication with the seller. I think it is just Dungeon #24 (he says sorry for the misunderstanding, but that it DOES say #1-24 on the cover? )

Whatever, just don't expect the receive Dungeon 1-24 if you bid . . .

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... L:RTQ:US:1

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:27 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:Just a guess, but it looks a lot like a pre-pub ad to me...could it be from Dragon Magazine? Towards the bottom it reads "from TSR" and "The Game Wizards", which makes me think it's an ad. Maybe someone photocopied one of the WoG sets, hole-punched it, put it in a binder and slapped a color ad on the cover?

Unless the seller can provide more information, I wouldn't bid on it.

I was thinking of that as possibilty as well, although it appears in the picture that it is cut off, which could mean that it would be too big to fit in a Dragon magazine, unless it folded out somehow.  I did in fact query the seller last evening to see if he could shed some light on a more exact description on the piece, but didn't get a immediate response so I will have to wait and check my email when I get home this afternoon.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:05 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I was thinking of that as possibilty as well, although it appears in the picture that it is cut off, which could mean that it would be too big to fit in a Dragon magazine, unless it folded out somehow.

Good point. Perhaps a promo poster? On the other hand, it looks more like folio cover material, plus it is sort of frayed at the edges like those folios always get.

Another weird thing is that the folio picture appears to be pasted on the back of the binder, or else it is upside down. Also, the described contents don't really match up with the content of the folio, right?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:08 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:I was thinking of that as possibilty as well, although it appears in the picture that it is cut off, which could mean that it would be too big to fit in a Dragon magazine, unless it folded out somehow.

Good point. Perhaps a promo poster? On the other hand, it looks more like folio cover material, plus it is sort of frayed at the edges like those folios always get.

Another weird thing is that the folio picture appears to be pasted on the back of the binder, or else it is upside down. Also, the described contents don't really match up with the content of the folio, right?

I inquired with the seller and the top-right text reads:
"WATCH FOR THE RELEASE AT YOUR FAVORITE GAME DEALER"

Make of that what you will...

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:08 pm 

eBay Feedback Profile for lordan :?:

Certainly hard-pushed to see many RPG auctions in that history.
(Anyone know otherwise? Name was still kinda familar... :?)

[ed. ah, I should've done a search first... maybe just me being overly-suspicious Deadlord Minime! ]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:37 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:For those of your watching this auction and intending to bid - be aware that Dungeon Magazine #1-24 are NOT included. I didn't see them in the pics and have communication with the seller. I think it is just Dungeon #24 (he says sorry for the misunderstanding, but that it DOES say #1-24 on the cover? )

Whatever, just don't expect the receive Dungeon 1-23 if you bid . . .

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... L:RTQ:US:1

That would be: "Contains complete index to issues #1-24" then!   8O  :roll:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:28 pm 

harami, what a busy day !  :wink:

eBay.com Item Bid History

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:44 pm 

youffie404 wrote:harami, what a busy day ! :wink:

Yeah, that must be a record.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:49 pm 

youffie404 wrote:harami, what a busy day ! :wink:

Or a very quiet one? :o ;)

Was mostly testing the system for response speed. (It failed my expectations, such as they were!)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:57 pm 

Ebay was kind enough to let me know that my token bid on PoTVQ wasn't good enough but they  let me know where I could get a Luther "Warriors" doll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6005325492

I can picture my sons snaping bottles together while playing with this and chanting....."warrrriorrs come out and playeeeyaaaay........." 8O

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:14 pm 

Daimajin wrote:Ebay was kind enough to let me know that my token bid on PoTVQ wasn't good enough but they let me know where I could get a Luther "Warriors" doll:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6005325492

I can picture my sons snaping bottles together while playing with this and chanting....."warrrriorrs come out and playeeeyaaaay........." 8O

Erm, *looks totally confused*. Someone please explain! Image
(or not...)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:20 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Erm, *looks totally confused*. Someone please explain! [ Image ]
(or not...)

Guess if you have never seen the movie the Warriors it kind of looses the meaning. I just found it odd they would send me all these " Similar Items on eBay " from the movie the warriors but not even the other copy of PoTVQ in the list :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:24 pm 

Daimajin wrote:Guess if you have never seen the movie the Warriors it kind of looses the meaning. I just found it odd they would send me all these " Similar Items on eBay " from the movie the warriors but not even the other copy of PoTVQ in the list :?

*lol*. Oh, sorry, brain not working at 3.20am! :lol:

Yeah, eBay "similar to" processing is almost as good as their "user comments/feedback" processing... :?

(Ain't seen the movie, either)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:01 pm 

That was such a great movie. I saw a newly released Warriors DVD that had "extra" stuff with it that differs from the original DVD in a Blockbuster today. Maybe the doll is a tie-in with that.

John

Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:25 pm 

Why do sellers insist on puting a printing of a book if they clearly have no clue :roll: :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... B:AAQ:US:1

I especially love this:

Clueless Seller wrote:As near as I can tell from my research, this is from the first or second print in 1974

I already queried the seller:
bclarkie wrote:Dear Seller, I hate to break this to you but your booklet here is at best a fifth printing and quite possibly a sixth printing. If your booklet was a 1st printing it would have a price on the bottom of $3.50 and not list a printing. If it was a second printing it would also have a price of $3.50 on the bottom of the cover and would list 2nd printing on the title page. Please check here for reference: Page Not Found. Thanks for your time

Still, that is pretty irritating.

*<edit>* It looks like my query prompted a quick change. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:22 am 

bclarkie wrote:
*<edit>* It looks like my query prompted a quick change. :wink:

if only more ppl walked in the shadow of your greatness  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 12 of 111123 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 109110111