Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 111123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:07 am 

killjoy32 wrote:...hopefully they will keep improving!

Yeah, I hope so too.  But to do that, they need to find a QB who can actually throw the ball hard!  They should draft that dude from Louisiana State University:  

The Washington Post wrote:After a standout performance in the Sugar Bowl last week, the 6-foot-6, 257-pound Russell had been expected to declare early for the draft.

Russell, a native of Mobile, Ala., threw for 6,525 yards and 52 touchdowns in three seasons with LSU, two as a full-time starter. He threw for 332 yards and two TDs in the Sugar Bowl to help the Tigers (11-2) beat Notre Dame 41-14.

The guy is bigger than most NFL linebackers...and fast!

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:08 am 

killjoy32 wrote:here you go SB sports-fans, lets see if you can answer this one....

which MVP had the biggest shoe size?  :P

Al

My guess would be Harvey Martin.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:19 am 

Super Bowl XLI  QB Peyton Manning  Baltimore Colts

Uh...

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:40 am 

bombadil wrote:
The guy is bigger than most NFL linebackers...and fast!

:D

so how does all that draft thing work cos i never really got my head around all that.

when and where can you find out who the jets are going for? would be nice to be able to follow things a little i guess..... cos over here, you generally dont hear a thing like that...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 am 

I'll play the curmudgeon card and point out that recorded history did not begin on Jan. 15, 1967, the date of the first Super Bowl. The NFL played its first season in 1920 and the league has had some sort of postseason championship (often, just a single game) since 1932. The AFL also held entirely separate championship games from 1960 to 1969.

Any discussion of "all-time" championships should begin with the Packers, who have won 12 NFL titles (from a span of 1929 to 1996).

I don't why this bugs me, but it always has. When people talk about "Super Bowl champions," it just leaves some great teams ineligible for the discussion — including, ironically, the 1965 Packers, who were actually the first of three straight championship teams for Green Bay. Everyone knows about the second two teams, as they won the first two "big games," but the poor '65 team gets kicked to the curb every time ... :(

+++++

Easiest free beer you'll ever win: Annoy friends and neighbors with this trivia nugget:

Q: Who won the first Super Bowl?
A: The New York Jets, beating the Colts, 16-7, in Super Bowl III.

The first two games were actually called "The NFL-AFL World Championship Game." The term "Super Bowl" was never actually mentioned until the third game.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:57 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Actually Al, what do you think about Beckham coming to play in the US.  We discussed it briefly here before, but you were absent.  What are your thoughts?  :)

It is certainly a great move for Beckham.  The size of the deal and the fact that he is coming to the end of his career means that it must have been a no-brainer for him financially.

I've been interested by all the talk about him being an ambassador for football in the US and the drive to popularise football over there.  I read an article (in the Economist I think) that said that actually LA Galaxy were already one of the most popular "soccer" teams although their following, like the following of many of the Major League Soccer teams was primarily hispanic.  The article suggested that this was soccer's core audience in the US and it was unlikely to expand beyond that core, with or without Beckham.

I can believe that as I lived in the States during the Italian World Cuip in 1990 and I had to watch some of the games on Spanish language TV channels complete with spanish commentary.  The games were simply not on English language channels although on cable given the number of US sports channels one could watch all manner of (what seemed to me like) minor interest sports but not world cup football.

Has his move to LA Galaxy actually been big news in the US?

In other news England beat Scotland in the Six Nations Rugby. :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:15 pm 

Wow, 100 pages for an "off-topic" thread. :) Foul is going to have to cut this bad boy off pretty soon ...

+++++

Sardan wrote:Has his move to LA Galaxy actually been big news in the US?

Reasonably big, especially on the first two days after the announcement. It reminded me quite a bit of when another big star from a "fringe" sport went to Los Angeles ... that would be hockey's Wayne Gretzky.

For many Americans, though, soccer will always be "22 foreigners in shorts," so the Beckham story faded to the inside pages pretty quickly. We do like our celebrities, though, so it will be interesting to see what it's like when he actually arrives.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:22 pm 

i think it will make the US soccer scene a more world-wide scene generally. thats what beckham will give you, so that it won't probably matter to a massive degree with regards to the US punters watching as the worldwide audience will more than make up for it i would imagine.....

as for england v scotland - great game and i am very relieved to see that england FINALLY got their finger out and toughed it out for a win. nice to see some of the older heads back and they look a much stronger unit already. italians next, so that should be an interesting game to see how they go about their game, as last year was such a poor struggle.

lets see how they fare against the french and the irish.....that will show us how good they are.

nice to have something to cheer for once more.

though i watch rugby league and the super league is off and running again - far more interesting  :P

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:58 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Super Bowl XLI  QB Peyton Manning  Baltimore Colts

Uh...
took ya'll long enough  :roll:  :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:21 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'll play the curmudgeon card and point out that recorded history did not begin on Jan. 15, 1967, the date of the first Super Bowl. The NFL played its first season in 1920 and the league has had some sort of postseason championship (often, just a single game) since 1932. The AFL also held entirely separate championship games from 1960 to 1969.

Any discussion of "all-time" championships should begin with the Packers, who have won 12 NFL titles (from a span of 1929 to 1996).

I don't why this bugs me, but it always has. When people talk about "Super Bowl champions," it just leaves some great teams ineligible for the discussion — including, ironically, the 1965 Packers, who were actually the first of three straight championship teams for Green Bay. Everyone knows about the second two teams, as they won the first two "big games," but the poor '65 team gets kicked to the curb every time ... :(

I'm sure a lot of football fans feel the way I do:  Pretty much all pro football pre-WWII, both records and championships, are totally bogus.  Some years the league had 10-11 teams...that's right, you had a 10% chance every year right off the top of winning the championship!  No black players.  No passing to speak of.  Some seasons a team might play 10 games, another team might play less. Crazy clubs based in cities even smaller than Green Bay (Providence, RI for one).  It was basically a beer league until the mid to late 30's, and didn't really come into it's own until post WWII.  Being as the Packers won six of their "championships" in that time period, I'm just not very impressed.  To put it perspective, an average sports fan can probably off the top of his head name a dozen pre-WWII baseball players.  Only diehards can do the same with any pre-WWII professional football players.  There just is really no type of comparison with the type of grueling season teams must go through now to reach the superbowl as there was back when it was merely a championship game after the regular season.
  That being said, the Packers get shorted on the dynasty they built from 1960 on that is only partially shown by the first few Superbowls.  If there had been a true "Superbowl" from 1960 on, the Packer would surely have won the 1961, 1962 and 1965 games and perhaps more as well as the first two superbowls in 1966 and 1967.  Imagine if some team now reeled off five superbowls in 7 years, including three in a row. That's basically what the Packers did in the 60s.  Essentially the Packers were right in the middle of an incredible run when the "superbowl" started, and their early 60's dominance is sometimes forgotten.  Ditto with the New York Giants that had some amazing late 50's teams.  
 So, while the Packers might get the short end when it comes to their 60's teams, don't tell me those 30's teams that started Carl the local postman at RB and Fargo the butcher at QB, playing against no black players and running the ball 75 times a game, were anything resembling a professional sports franchise.  
 Throwing more fuel on the fire, weren't the 1929, 1930 and 1931 Packers so-called "Championships" just a fancy word for they finished the season with the most wins?  Am I wrong or were there not even a post season back then?  
 Also Packer haters like to point out that if the Packers won more "real" superbowls they wouldn't have to be digging around into pre WWII mythical championships to pad their totals  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:25 pm 

I knew the Broncos would hold a superbowl record. Though they are only in a three way tie for "most superbowl games lost", they single handedly hold the "most points scored against" title with 206. Go Broncos!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:33 pm 

Does anyone on the other side of the pond know of a TV program called The IT Crowd?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Does anyone on the other side of the pond know of a TV program called The IT Crowd?

Is that the sitcom about a small IT department in some crappy office, where the manager doesn't know anything about computers?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:08 pm 

Kamelion wrote:Is that the sitcom about a small IT department in some crappy office, where the manager doesn't know anything about computers?

I saw something like that here .... not sure if it is the same show.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:36 pm 

improvstone wrote:
I saw something like that here .... not sure if it is the same show.

If it's the show that I'm thinking of, the previews looked really funny.  I watched the first couple of episodes and felt that it didn't deliver, so I didn't follow it beyond that.  Much better off watching reruns of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps :)

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:41 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
as for england v scotland - great game and i am very relieved to see that england FINALLY got their finger out and toughed it out for a win. nice to see some of the older heads back and they look a much stronger unit already. italians next, so that should be an interesting game to see how they go about their game, as last year was such a poor struggle.

lets see how they fare against the french and the irish.....that will show us how good they are.

Al

England have had good players for the last three years but the coaching and attitude has been crass. Learn from the ozzies at cricket: it's not about just winnign it's about keeping on winning, always keeping the standard high. the English took a three year sabattical because they won in 2003.

As for this year ...well the scots hadn't beaten the english in 20 odd years at Twickenham. Our lads played OK against the Welsh. I thought that would be a difficult one. And the French predicatably stuffed the Italians in their own backyard.

Now for the Irish: the French at home ... O'Driscoll seems fit, as do Murphy & D'Arcy.

England have the easy start against the two weakest teams ... Scotland and Italy: the perennial whipping boys of the six nations tournament.

We (Ireland) have the three toughest: wales (away), France and England. Our biggest challenge is living up to the billing as favourites. We are notoriously bad at that.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:47 pm 

Kamelion wrote:If it's the show that I'm thinking of, the previews looked really funny.  I watched the first couple of episodes and felt that it didn't deliver, so I didn't follow it beyond that.  Much better off watching reruns of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps :)

I caught the tale end of an epsiode.  Was about some IT guys in a company and their relationships with the girls.  Didn't really find it funny.  Probably because I am sick to death of the typical IT stereotypes.  :evil:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:12 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Wow, 100 pages for an "off-topic" thread. :) Foul is going to have to cut this bad boy off pretty soon ...

Thread locked due to excessive off-topic conversation.  Or maybe it's just because we're at 100 pages.  New thread started.

Foul

Previous
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 111 of 111123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110111