Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I may have these for years (Perhaps even decades 8O  :roll: ) before I am able to play them all.

I wouldn't count on it ... once you get rolling, you'll finish them faster than you would think possible. :) There's no doubt the "core" trilogy — NWN, Shadows, Hordes — will take a while to complete, but some of the expansion packs can easily be finished in a single weekend.

I don't say that to be negative; in fact, I envy you in many ways. I wish I could go back and play them all again without knowing a lot about what is coming next. I'm just pointing out what a time-sink NWN can be if you really get some momentum going.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:30 pm 

improvstone wrote:I know 7 years olds that make more sense than those guys .....

The mods comment (The Lame Lama, or whatever) as to why he edited out my comment was that I was "too serious".

Too serious in that I simply wanted some answers to what I thought were relevant questions? Questions that anyone who has played the game for a longer period than I have would likely be able to help me with........ if they wanted to.

:roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:35 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I wouldn't count on it ... once you get rolling, you'll finish them faster than you would think possible. :) There's no doubt the "core" trilogy — NWN, Shadows, Hordes — will take a while to complete, but some of the expansion packs can easily be finished in a single weekend.

I don't say that to be negative; in fact, I envy you in many ways. I wish I could go back and play them all again without knowing a lot about what is coming next. I'm just pointing out what a time-sink NWN can be if you really get some momentum going.

I have heard that the expansion packs can be played again and again each time with VERY different results and experiences depending on your chosen character class, race, alignment, etc....

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm 

That's right.  It's fun to go through as a magic user (sorcerer), and then try it again as a thief.  No matter what, though, you'll want Daelan Red Tiger as your body guard.  The guy is incredible!

I think it took me 10 or so tries to complete the final encounter.  Lots of fun!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:40 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Aneoth,
If you are looking for some ideas on character builds go here:
http://web1.vattnet.com/staffan/nwn1/bu ... /index.php
Just put in parameters of what you want and it spits out a list of builds and how to progress them through each level.
That is if you need it.

Do you just have the stand alone NWN or do you have the expansions too? If not then I recommend uprading to the DVD Diamond edition as it includes all the patches up to 1.67 and all the expansions up to King Maker I believe

Sorry Kosh I missed your mention of the Diamond Edition the first time I read your comment.  :oops:

I am assuming that The Character builder helps you to deside the best way to build a specific type of charcter and what skills and other class specifc things you should choose and when?

Is that correct?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:That's right.  It's fun to go through as a magic user (sorcerer), and then try it again as a thief.  No matter what, though, you'll want Daelan Red Tiger as your body guard.  The guy is incredible!

I think it took me 10 or so tries to complete the final encounter.  Lots of fun!   :D

Yup, he is a major pain on your enemies in hand to hand combat. He fights like a killing machine. Problem is he does not know when to run away and fight another day. Once I arrived in the Second Chapter I picked him first. Later when attempting the Crypts he and I died several times before I gave up. So, I returned to the henchman haunt in town and re-hired the priestess. She kicks booty on the hoards of undead in the crypts, as you would expect.

I am still trying to figure our how to best access locked and trapped doors and chests without getting totally zapped.......... and without hiring toto, or timbo, or whatever the thiefs name is (I forget.........)  :roll:

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:That's right.  It's fun to go through as a magic user (sorcerer), and then try it again as a thief.  No matter what, though, you'll want Daelan Red Tiger as your body guard.  The guy is incredible!

One of the greatest NPCs I've ever come across was Xanos, the half-orc (IIRC) from Shadows. You know, the one who always spoke of himself in the third person? "Xanos wishes to speak to you!" Pure comedy gold. :)

Man, this is making me want to play again. I only went through Shadows once ... maybe I should roll up a new character and give it another go.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:00 pm 

BTW: Have any of you tried to gain half the innkeepers wealth in the Gauntlet? His inn is the Green Griffon Inn and is located North of Port Llast, the first town in Chapter 2.

The story goes that he was once an adventurer too and amassed a huge treasure trove, and has invited other adventurers to go through a gauntlet he has prepared. The costs to enter is 500 gold. Winner takes all that and half of his adventuring stash too.

GEEZ, but that place is tuff...................... and at 500 gold per try it's also expensive to die so many times............lol

I know save before you pay………

Also, the escaped prisoner (Minotaur) staying in the corner room on the second floor of the same Inn has also killed us several times...............

I think perhaps my PC is not nearly high enough level to be attempting those challenges yet.

My PC is currently delving in the Arcane Brothers Tomb with the aforesaid priestess to help. It is located just Southwest of the Fort holding the Green Griffon Inn.  I do not know, but I fully expect to discover a LICH in there somewhere…… Don't know if we are ready for that sort of nightmare either.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:15 pm 

Aneoth wrote:The mods comment (The Lame Lama, or whatever) as to why he edited out my comment was that I was "too serious".

I agree you are way too serious ... you need to chill out  :lol:

Seriously don't sweat it you always have your friends here!  Besides here is a forum which isn't about NWN yet look how much knowledge has been already shared.

In the mean time I say Post, Post Post  :roll:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:21 pm 

I have a question.  How do you guys find the time to play games like NWN?

Given that alot of us are past 30 with partner, kids and work commitments squeezing in time to play Oblivion on the XBOX is damn near impossible.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:26 pm 

improvstone wrote:I have a question.  How do you guys find the time to play games like NWN?

Given that alot of us are past 30 with partner, kids and work commitments squeezing in time to play Oblivion on the XBOX is damn near impossible.
I take the time on weekends and evenings and yes, piss the wife off by doing so.
We have no kids though, otherwise I never would have had the time to even start this danged obsession......

NWN the new addiction.  8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:26 pm 

improvstone wrote:I have a question.  How do you guys find the time to play games like NWN?

That's a fair question. For me, it helps that I work from home and that I have a "slow season" (roughly mid-November through late January). I'd say I've done about half of my NWN-ing during those slow weeks.

I also play on airplanes, in hotel rooms, and anything else having to do with business trips. For instance, I completed half of the Pirates of the Sword Coast premium module just by flying to Hawaii. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:28 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:That's a fair question. For me, it helps that I work from home and that I have a "slow season" (roughly mid-November through late January). I'd say I've done about half of my NWN-ing during those slow weeks

What do you do for crust?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:30 pm 

improvstone wrote:What do you do for crust?

:D

Sorry, my slang detector isn't catching that one. Does that mean "what do you do for a living?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:31 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Sorry, my slang detector isn't catching that one. Does that mean "what do you do for a living?"

Sorry! Yes, what do you do for a living?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:37 pm 

Public relations, along with professional writing and editing services.

I was a newspaper/magazine guy for 14 or 15 years, and most of my clients are people I knew from back in those days (or else people that they refer to me). I haven't gotten rich yet, but, OTOH, I haven't actually been inside an office since October of 2004. Woot! :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I haven't actually been inside an office since October of 2004. Woot! :)

A very worthy goal indeed.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:06 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Sorry Kosh I missed your mention of the Diamond Edition the first time I read your comment.  :oops:

I am assuming that The Character builder helps you to deside the best way to build a specific type of charcter and what skills and other class specifc things you should choose and when?

Is that correct?

PM me your email address and I'll send you the character build word doc that I used for progressing through the first 3 modules (NWN,SoU,HotU). This guy is the best all around hack and slash tank you can build. Takes you to 20th level in the build process with suggestions for the epic levels after that. He ends up being a 9th Fighter, 1st Bard, 10 Red Dragon Disciple. Building him trough Epic levels he becomes a quisinart  :twisted:

Also if you go online to the NWN site you can buy and download the Infinite Dungeons expansion which lets you start at first and work up to 40 or start at 40 and try to survive, lots o fun. Plus yuo can get some proficiency in character build without going through any plot details (different dungeons every time!)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111