Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:51 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:My friend has NWN platinum.....

First I find that there is something called a Gold Version of NWN, now you say that you have played a Platinum Version too? What is the difference in those and the 2 year old Regular version I have? So when will they come out with the electrum version, or the steel version, or how about the copper version for us poor folks? Not knowing whats in them, I can see no reason to shell out more bucks to get a fancier version of the same game I already have.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:25 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:Anyways, I summoned a familiar and attacked it with my skeletal hand. It fell to the floor with crash, its lifeless corpse smoldering in blue smoke. I summoned and killed that poor familiar about twenty times, laughing hysterically as I slew it. It never got old.

Although that sounds like tremendous fun, and I'd probably do it too, it's also exactly why I cringe whenever somebody calls one of these games "role-playing". :)

Aneoth:  I've never played BG1.  BG2 was "ok".  To be honest, while it was certainly addictive, the fighting got tedious and repetitive very early on, and the plot was very contrived.  You can basically only play it once.  It's sort of like the old Gold Box SSL games of yore.  I'd recommend avoiding the add-on "Throne of Bhaal" entirely...it's just a giant brawl. ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:28 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Fun chat!

Myself, Deimos, BC, Gyg and Mars appropriated the DF chat for an all Acaeum bull session last night...  
 Lots of fun...we need a chat function here.
 Or at least a "regular" time for the Acaeum members to raid the Dragonsfoot chat and talk in "real time".
 And thanks to BC and Myspace, I think I have a new girlfriend!!! 8O

Mike B.

We definitely need to do that again.  The more Acaeum members, the better.  But what's this about a girlfriend?  That must have been after I logged out.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:32 pm 

Aneoth wrote:First I find that there is something called a Gold Version of NWN, now you say that you have played a Platinum Version too? What is the difference in those and the 2 year old Regular version I have? So when will they come out with the electrum version, or the steel version, or how about the copper version for us poor folks? Not knowing whats in them, I can see no reason to shell out more bucks to get a fancier version of the same game I already have.

Aneoth;

The Platinum version is the best.  It has all the upgrades and all the new sample mods.  You can get lucky and find them at the local Half Price books, if I see a copy I can pick you up one.  Go by the HPB near your house and see if there isa platinum version in the compuer games section.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:39 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Aneoth;

The Platinum version is the best.  It has all the upgrades and all the new sample mods.  You can get lucky and find them at the local Half Price books, if I see a copy I can pick you up one.  Go by the HPB near your house and see if there isa platinum version in the compuer games section.

Mike B.

OK, I'll do that today....... And if you see one, please do pick it up for me. They usually have very few PC games in the HPB store here in McKinney though. Not like the Dallas HPB's anyway.

BTW: I am sending a PM to you now.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 pm 

Aneoth wrote:From the moderators there at the NWN Forum I immediately got nothing but grief; silly childish nonsensical posts that had nothing to do with my questions about NWN, or even about the NWN site itself. The only reasonable response came from one other ‘noobie', as new posters to the site are not so affectionately referred to by the several thousand post long timers there.

8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

I know 7 years olds that make more sense than those guys .....

Maybe we should send the Captain there because those posts make about as much sense as his:

Critter wrote:Oh no, you're cool. Keep on keepin' on.

Lama wrote:Post post post post

Vanion wrote:critter wrote:

Oh no, you're cool. Keep on keepin' on.

Like a bird that flew...
Tangled up in blue

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 pm 

Brett Favre is coming back. In an exclusive interview in the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Mississippi, Favre says he's excited to return.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/16607933.htm

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Marino, some more records will be going away!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:51 pm 

Aneoth wrote:OK, I'll do that today....... And if you see one, please do pick it up for me. They usually have very few PC games in the HPB store here in McKinney though. Not like the Dallas HPB's anyway.

BTW: I am sending a PM to you now.

They came out with a Diamond version, too.  

Aneoth,
Any of them are fine. It really is just a matter of what is new and expanded. The only real issues are uploading premade adventures from the Vault. Some older adventures will not work with new versions of NWN. And Vice Versa.

I enjoy the game, but it is hard to find time to play. Usually, at night after everyone has gone to bed.

Some of the best are the U series (by oraweb, I think), N1 was awesome.

Don't bother with BG2 and up. I hated them. They lost the simplicity that was BG1. There are some good parts, but overall the story degenerated into crap.

TOEE must be played in Ironman mode or it is just a waste of time. Even then it is only OK. I was never a fan of the module [T1 is great, the rest blows].

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:54 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Don't bother with BG2 and up. I hated them. They lost the simplicity that was BG1. There are some good parts, but overall the story degenerated into crap.

OTOH, I really like  BG2 and the Throne of Bhaal extension. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:13 pm 

I just got back from my search and buy mission for Gold, and Platinum Versions of NWN. (I left before the post by bbarsh at 11:51)

My local HPB store had none of the NWN games, but a local game store (My second try) did have the Kingmaker set of three and NWN-II and the Diamond Version. So, I paid $20 for the Diamond version. The Kingmaker was also $20 (Just for the 3 KM Modules) and the NWN-II was $50. :!:

The Diamond Version includes:
NWN
Shadows of Undertide: Expansion Pack
Hordes of the Underdark: Expansion Pack
King Maker: Expansion Pack
King Maker actually includes three modules.
King Maker; ShadowGuard; and Witch's Wake

The future is indead bright folks....... I may have these for years (Perhaps even decades 8O  :roll: ) before I am able to play them all.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I may have these for years (Perhaps even decades 8O  :roll: ) before I am able to play them all.

I wouldn't count on it ... once you get rolling, you'll finish them faster than you would think possible. :) There's no doubt the "core" trilogy — NWN, Shadows, Hordes — will take a while to complete, but some of the expansion packs can easily be finished in a single weekend.

I don't say that to be negative; in fact, I envy you in many ways. I wish I could go back and play them all again without knowing a lot about what is coming next. I'm just pointing out what a time-sink NWN can be if you really get some momentum going.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:30 pm 

improvstone wrote:I know 7 years olds that make more sense than those guys .....

The mods comment (The Lame Lama, or whatever) as to why he edited out my comment was that I was "too serious".

Too serious in that I simply wanted some answers to what I thought were relevant questions? Questions that anyone who has played the game for a longer period than I have would likely be able to help me with........ if they wanted to.

:roll:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:35 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I wouldn't count on it ... once you get rolling, you'll finish them faster than you would think possible. :) There's no doubt the "core" trilogy — NWN, Shadows, Hordes — will take a while to complete, but some of the expansion packs can easily be finished in a single weekend.

I don't say that to be negative; in fact, I envy you in many ways. I wish I could go back and play them all again without knowing a lot about what is coming next. I'm just pointing out what a time-sink NWN can be if you really get some momentum going.

I have heard that the expansion packs can be played again and again each time with VERY different results and experiences depending on your chosen character class, race, alignment, etc....

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm 

That's right.  It's fun to go through as a magic user (sorcerer), and then try it again as a thief.  No matter what, though, you'll want Daelan Red Tiger as your body guard.  The guy is incredible!

I think it took me 10 or so tries to complete the final encounter.  Lots of fun!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:40 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Aneoth,
If you are looking for some ideas on character builds go here:
http://web1.vattnet.com/staffan/nwn1/bu ... /index.php
Just put in parameters of what you want and it spits out a list of builds and how to progress them through each level.
That is if you need it.

Do you just have the stand alone NWN or do you have the expansions too? If not then I recommend uprading to the DVD Diamond edition as it includes all the patches up to 1.67 and all the expansions up to King Maker I believe

Sorry Kosh I missed your mention of the Diamond Edition the first time I read your comment.  :oops:

I am assuming that The Character builder helps you to deside the best way to build a specific type of charcter and what skills and other class specifc things you should choose and when?

Is that correct?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:That's right.  It's fun to go through as a magic user (sorcerer), and then try it again as a thief.  No matter what, though, you'll want Daelan Red Tiger as your body guard.  The guy is incredible!

I think it took me 10 or so tries to complete the final encounter.  Lots of fun!   :D

Yup, he is a major pain on your enemies in hand to hand combat. He fights like a killing machine. Problem is he does not know when to run away and fight another day. Once I arrived in the Second Chapter I picked him first. Later when attempting the Crypts he and I died several times before I gave up. So, I returned to the henchman haunt in town and re-hired the priestess. She kicks booty on the hoards of undead in the crypts, as you would expect.

I am still trying to figure our how to best access locked and trapped doors and chests without getting totally zapped.......... and without hiring toto, or timbo, or whatever the thiefs name is (I forget.........)  :roll:

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:That's right.  It's fun to go through as a magic user (sorcerer), and then try it again as a thief.  No matter what, though, you'll want Daelan Red Tiger as your body guard.  The guy is incredible!

One of the greatest NPCs I've ever come across was Xanos, the half-orc (IIRC) from Shadows. You know, the one who always spoke of himself in the third person? "Xanos wishes to speak to you!" Pure comedy gold. :)

Man, this is making me want to play again. I only went through Shadows once ... maybe I should roll up a new character and give it another go.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:00 pm 

BTW: Have any of you tried to gain half the innkeepers wealth in the Gauntlet? His inn is the Green Griffon Inn and is located North of Port Llast, the first town in Chapter 2.

The story goes that he was once an adventurer too and amassed a huge treasure trove, and has invited other adventurers to go through a gauntlet he has prepared. The costs to enter is 500 gold. Winner takes all that and half of his adventuring stash too.

GEEZ, but that place is tuff...................... and at 500 gold per try it's also expensive to die so many times............lol

I know save before you pay………

Also, the escaped prisoner (Minotaur) staying in the corner room on the second floor of the same Inn has also killed us several times...............

I think perhaps my PC is not nearly high enough level to be attempting those challenges yet.

My PC is currently delving in the Arcane Brothers Tomb with the aforesaid priestess to help. It is located just Southwest of the Fort holding the Green Griffon Inn.  I do not know, but I fully expect to discover a LICH in there somewhere…… Don't know if we are ready for that sort of nightmare either.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 106 of 111123 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 109110111