Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:18 am 

deimos3428 wrote:<snip>
Yeah...I'd just leave if that's their attitude.  Don't waste your breath arguing with them.  Incidentally, is NWN any good?  I just finished BG2.

Once you get used to the 3.5 ed D&D it is rather fun to play. Also if you have the time and the patience you can make your own modules for others to play. There is a conversion of Q1 floating around out there that was real tough to play but alot of fun!

After Balders gate I would recommend it along with Icewind Dale 2 compilation but skip the ToEE as its engine sucks but it does hold true to the P&P module

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:21 am 

I love NWN.  I'm currently working my way through the Giants series, using a character I created to match one of my all-time favorite PNP characters from the old days.  It's pretty cool.   :D

One word of caution though:  it can eat up a LOT of your time.   8)

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:24 am 

Aneoth wrote:
From the moderators there at the NWN Forum I immediately got nothing but grief; silly childish nonsensical posts that had nothing to do with my questions about NWN, or even about the NWN site itself. The only reasonable response came from one other ‘noobie', as new posters to the site are not so affectionately referred to by the several thousand post long timers there.

I had taken issue and made calm and collected and well thought out comments in that light. It was immediately edited by the moderators as being abusive and rude. Of course that moderator happens to be one of the same idiots who were offering up posts like this:

Aneoth;

Why are you wasting your time letting 21 year old kidz get your goat?  You wouldn't bother even looking at these asshats if they were in the video store talking about how "awesome" and "kewl" NWN2 was, so why acknowledge them now. I wouldn't waste anymore time there.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:35 am 

deimos3428 wrote:<snip>
Yeah...I'd just leave if that's their attitude.  Don't waste your breath arguing with them.  Incidentally, is NWN any good?  I just finished BG2.

I never got BG2, or any of the expansions to BG1, but I really liked BG1. How is BG2? How are the expansions to BG1? I did get ToEE and yes, it sucked.

Back to your questions.
The NWN manual that comes with the game is almost completely useless as far as learning the mechanics of the NWN game. And the supposedly dedicated web site is not much better. And don't even bother wasting much time with the supposed NWN Forums. Although I did learn a couple of things from some of them. They are legion BTW.

Also, I did learn some things from the spoiler web sites that I had missed in the game. The walkthroughs are spoilers in many aspects, but helpful in others.

Once I started playing the game and learned (The hard way) some of the basics, IE Spell casting, Henchmen, and the use of various items, I could not stop playing. The prelude only teaches you so much and the manual teaches almost nothing.

BUT, I highly recommend the game NWN-1 in any case with one aside; I suggest that you begin playing the game on a Friday evening and hope that you get to a decent stopping place before Monday morning. And do not skip the Prelude and try all of the lessons in the training area. It's boring, but well done for your first lessons for this game. Otherwise when your playing later on in the game and you forget how to cast spells in battle, or how to give your henchman a healing potion, and other horrible things that will spell disaster.

As is important in any RPG computer game you should remember to SAVE OFTEN.

Save before major battles, leveling up, and selling or buying high priced items too. I have failed to do so and regretted it on many occasions.

My last words of advice: REMEMBER to hit the Space Bar (the game pause key) as it is your best ally.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:36 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Since we don't have a chat function on Acaeum, I vote we all raid DF chat and have a party.  :lol:

Fun chat!

Myself, Deimos, BC, Gyg and Mars appropriated the DF chat for an all Acaeum bull session last night...  
 Lots of fun...we need a chat function here.
 Or at least a "regular" time for the Acaeum members to raid the Dragonsfoot chat and talk in "real time".
 And thanks to BC and Myspace, I think I have a new girlfriend!!! 8O

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:46 am 

Aneoth,

If you are looking for some ideas on character builds go here:

http://web1.vattnet.com/staffan/nwn1/bu ... /index.php

Just put in parameters of what you want and it spits out a list of builds and how to progress them through each level.

That is if you need it.

Do you just have the stand alone NWN or do you have the expansions too? If not then I recommend uprading to the DVD Diamond edition as it includes all the patches up to 1.67 and all the expansions up to King Maker I believe

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:56 am 

Badmike wrote:  And thanks to BC and Myspace, I think I have a new girlfriend!!! 8O

Mike B.

The sister right?  8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:12 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Aneoth,

If you are looking for some ideas on character builds go here:

http://web1.vattnet.com/staffan/nwn1/bu ... /index.php

Just put in parameters of what you want and it spits out a list of builds and how to progress them through each level.

That is if you need it.

Do you just have the stand alone NWN or do you have the expansions too? If not then I recommend uprading to the DVD Diamond edition as it includes all the patches up to 1.67 and all the expansions up to King Maker I believe

I have the stand alone 1.10 version that was gifted to me over 2 years ago. I have no clue how to obtain the "GOLD VERSION", or even what it is.

Just yesterday I downloaded a patch offered on the NWN web site to upgrade my copy to version 1.68. I have no clue what Kingmaker is, other than I keep seeing it everywhere that NWN is mentioned.

Character builds???????  What the heck are those?  :?

Lookie here guys, I am a complete newbie with NWN and aside from the past month I have not played ANY RPG's on the computer at all in the past couple of years, so all this talk of gold versions, kingmakers, after market modules, and character builds simply goes over my little pea brain.

If you will just pretend that I know next to nothing about anything then you will be on the same track with me.

Thanks for the web site. I will go there and pray they have data that a complete moron can understand and use.

BTW: So far I have played a thief to 5th and then added wzard till he got to 4th. I made it to the end of Chapter 1 with that one. (Half-Elf) I was never able to defeat the boss at the end of the finale with him though., even when using the priestess as backup against all the undead.

Then I started a wizard and have made it to 10th with that PC. (Elf)

That PC is now in Chapter 2. Still single class wizard. I would like to add some weapons skills to help in hand to hand combat as this PC gets smashed too easily when the spells run out (Which at level 10 is too soon in many battles). And wands and rods only help so much and are too slow anyway.

BTW: I have to rest too much for my happiness to get spells (knock mostly) to open all the freeking locked doors and treasure chests and still cant open some without getting zapped by traps, most of which kill the PC outright. As an Elf I do see (detect) the traps for the most part so I know they are there, yet I must get past them somehow and the henchman are too smart to do it for me. I do not always want the thief henchman with me either, as he sucks against undead and as a fighter in general and a wizard has GOT to have someone in the front lines. I mean other than the monsters summoned by spells.

BTW: I learned (By accident) that I can cast fireballs (Or burning hands, or firewall) to blast or burn the chests to splinters to get whats inside, but that of course costs me a lot of resting time to get the spells back before the next battles, or doors or treasure chests.

Can a single class wizard make it through ALL of NWN?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:40 pm 

My friend has NWN platinum. I was reading the manual at his house one day. Apparently you can make some sort of lich with a skeletal claw. I bet my friend that they wouldn't change the graphic to a skeletal hand, but I lost.

One of the modules has your character starting out at level 18 so I made a guy with a skeletal hand (pale master?). He had an attack with it that sounded pretty cool. Anyways, I summoned a familiar and attacked it with my skeletal hand. It fell to the floor with crash, its lifeless corpse smoldering in blue smoke. I summoned and killed that poor familiar about twenty times, laughing hysterically as I slew it. It never got old.

That's my entire experience with NWN; very positive.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:44 pm 

Yeah, it's a lot of fun to go into an inn and just attack the nearest townsperson, too.  There're also some pretty hilarious dialogue options in some of the home-made mods for NWN, like in G1 when the local high-ranking town official approaches you to ask you to figure out what's behind all of the giant raids, you can choose to reply with something like:

"Get away from me before I kick your ass off my ranch".

:lol:

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:51 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:My friend has NWN platinum.....

First I find that there is something called a Gold Version of NWN, now you say that you have played a Platinum Version too? What is the difference in those and the 2 year old Regular version I have? So when will they come out with the electrum version, or the steel version, or how about the copper version for us poor folks? Not knowing whats in them, I can see no reason to shell out more bucks to get a fancier version of the same game I already have.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:25 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:Anyways, I summoned a familiar and attacked it with my skeletal hand. It fell to the floor with crash, its lifeless corpse smoldering in blue smoke. I summoned and killed that poor familiar about twenty times, laughing hysterically as I slew it. It never got old.

Although that sounds like tremendous fun, and I'd probably do it too, it's also exactly why I cringe whenever somebody calls one of these games "role-playing". :)

Aneoth:  I've never played BG1.  BG2 was "ok".  To be honest, while it was certainly addictive, the fighting got tedious and repetitive very early on, and the plot was very contrived.  You can basically only play it once.  It's sort of like the old Gold Box SSL games of yore.  I'd recommend avoiding the add-on "Throne of Bhaal" entirely...it's just a giant brawl. ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:28 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Fun chat!

Myself, Deimos, BC, Gyg and Mars appropriated the DF chat for an all Acaeum bull session last night...  
 Lots of fun...we need a chat function here.
 Or at least a "regular" time for the Acaeum members to raid the Dragonsfoot chat and talk in "real time".
 And thanks to BC and Myspace, I think I have a new girlfriend!!! 8O

Mike B.

We definitely need to do that again.  The more Acaeum members, the better.  But what's this about a girlfriend?  That must have been after I logged out.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:32 pm 

Aneoth wrote:First I find that there is something called a Gold Version of NWN, now you say that you have played a Platinum Version too? What is the difference in those and the 2 year old Regular version I have? So when will they come out with the electrum version, or the steel version, or how about the copper version for us poor folks? Not knowing whats in them, I can see no reason to shell out more bucks to get a fancier version of the same game I already have.

Aneoth;

The Platinum version is the best.  It has all the upgrades and all the new sample mods.  You can get lucky and find them at the local Half Price books, if I see a copy I can pick you up one.  Go by the HPB near your house and see if there isa platinum version in the compuer games section.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:39 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Aneoth;

The Platinum version is the best.  It has all the upgrades and all the new sample mods.  You can get lucky and find them at the local Half Price books, if I see a copy I can pick you up one.  Go by the HPB near your house and see if there isa platinum version in the compuer games section.

Mike B.

OK, I'll do that today....... And if you see one, please do pick it up for me. They usually have very few PC games in the HPB store here in McKinney though. Not like the Dallas HPB's anyway.

BTW: I am sending a PM to you now.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 pm 

Aneoth wrote:From the moderators there at the NWN Forum I immediately got nothing but grief; silly childish nonsensical posts that had nothing to do with my questions about NWN, or even about the NWN site itself. The only reasonable response came from one other ‘noobie', as new posters to the site are not so affectionately referred to by the several thousand post long timers there.

8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

I know 7 years olds that make more sense than those guys .....

Maybe we should send the Captain there because those posts make about as much sense as his:

Critter wrote:Oh no, you're cool. Keep on keepin' on.

Lama wrote:Post post post post

Vanion wrote:critter wrote:

Oh no, you're cool. Keep on keepin' on.

Like a bird that flew...
Tangled up in blue

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 pm 

Brett Favre is coming back. In an exclusive interview in the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Mississippi, Favre says he's excited to return.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/16607933.htm

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Marino, some more records will be going away!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:51 pm 

Aneoth wrote:OK, I'll do that today....... And if you see one, please do pick it up for me. They usually have very few PC games in the HPB store here in McKinney though. Not like the Dallas HPB's anyway.

BTW: I am sending a PM to you now.

They came out with a Diamond version, too.  

Aneoth,
Any of them are fine. It really is just a matter of what is new and expanded. The only real issues are uploading premade adventures from the Vault. Some older adventures will not work with new versions of NWN. And Vice Versa.

I enjoy the game, but it is hard to find time to play. Usually, at night after everyone has gone to bed.

Some of the best are the U series (by oraweb, I think), N1 was awesome.

Don't bother with BG2 and up. I hated them. They lost the simplicity that was BG1. There are some good parts, but overall the story degenerated into crap.

TOEE must be played in Ironman mode or it is just a waste of time. Even then it is only OK. I was never a fan of the module [T1 is great, the rest blows].

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 111123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 109110111