Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 97 of 111123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am 

IO Wrote
While were on the topic of BBC Sci-Fi, does anyone remember the Tripods series adapted from the John Christopher novels?

Now the effects and acting were on the Dr. Who side, but I always was a sucker for the post-holocaust future stuff. I guess that's why I always loved Gamma World and Aftermath.

I've always been a fan of John Christophers.

From the Tripods trilogy (which is now 4 books as a prequel recently came out), to 'a wrinkle in the skin', 'sword of the spirits' and 'death of grass'.

His best trilogy by far though was 'Fireball', with 'Newfoundland' and 'Dragon Dance', where 2 modern-age boys are drawn through a 'ball lightning' and transported to an 'if' world where it's still current time but the romans were still running the place.

Very cool 8)

I still think the tv series Sliders stole extremely heavily from the books, and Time Tunnel on the precept. I think 'Fireball' predates Time tunnel. 8O

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:36 pm 

Does anybody remember one of the grandaddy stories about time travel called "Lest Darkness Fall" by L. Sprague de Camp?

I consider it, along with "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", to be the archetypical stories that a lot of other time travel stories/movies/tv shows are based on right up to Crichton's "Timeline".

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:09 pm 

This is damn funny.  Check out this clip from Reno 911.

Funny Videos, Funny Clips & Funny Pictures | Break.com

Not as long or as hilarious as the "Fear of Girls" clip (which I will repost here for those that have never seen it) but pretty funny nonetheless.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

:lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:32 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:This is damn funny.  Check out this clip from Reno 911.

Not as long or as hilarious as the "Fear of Girls" clip (which I will repost here for those that have never seen it) but pretty funny nonetheless.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Very funny :lol:  :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:This is damn funny.  Check out this clip from Reno 911.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

LOL.....with a double barrel beer sneeze  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:31 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Not as long or as hilarious as the "Fear of Girls" clip (which I will repost here for those that have never seen it) but pretty funny nonetheless.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Fantastic  8)   Doug Doug is a worshiper of Satan and will burn in Hell.  8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:05 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Does anybody remember one of the grandaddy stories about time travel called "Lest Darkness Fall" by L. Sprague de Camp?

I consider it, along with "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", to be the archetypical stories that a lot of other time travel stories/movies/tv shows are based on right up to Crichton's "Timeline".

I thought Lest Darkness Fall wasn't bad.  But, apparently one guy can stop Rome from collapsing by stabbing people?  Not a bad novel.  Bad history.

I liked the signs in all of the inns and taverns banning religious discussions.  :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Galactica has been placed on notice here — I was bored silly through much of the previous arc's "Battlestar Iraq-tica" nonsense. Yes, SciFi, your show is not afraid to confront real issues: we get it already. I've already got CNN for that, though ...

My thoughts exactly.

The writers were apparently trying to be "topical," and trying to give us "a new perspective" on suicide bombers and crap like that.

All very boring and depressing for a show that has mostly been about escapism.  I hate it when TV people try to "make us think."  They aren't that smart themselves to start with.  They honestly think that we can't think of our own "new perspectives."  Very arrogant.

One gets the idea that the writers have become fascinated with the cylons, but cannot think of a single interesting storyline about them.  

Hello writers...Earth to Caprica...try this one:

Vipers...cylon Raiders...nukes...dogfighting...heroics..."jumping" away...

That sort of stuff.  Remember?

OH...and...hey dudes...the Apollo/Starbuck love triangle storyline is not sexy, interesting or dramatic.  It's just boring.  It's stupid.  We never bought into it and we don't care about it.  At this point, it would be more interesting if you just killed both characters...that's how much you're making us hate them.

I still have hope for Battlestar Galactica.  There's still time to save the show from the producers.  Their podcast commentaries show that they do think about their writing...maybe they'll think harder.

There has been a lot more good than bad from the Battlestar Galactica team.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:54 am 

I got pissed enough just now to write to the Sci Fi Channel execs about it.  Text of the email feedback I just sent to the Sci Fi Channel:

Dear Sci Fi Executives:

I am writing because I am a fan of Battlestar Galactica and I hate to see a good show get cancelled.

Battlestar Galactica was the first science fiction program I have ever seen that did not start with the assumption that the fans are morons. We are so used to being treated with complete disrespect that the new Battlestar Galactica was a major surprise.

Now, your producers seem to have decided that they are deep, deep intellectuals who have something really deep to say.

Get over yourselves before it's too late!

The general consensus among Battlestar Galactica fans is that the show has a few more episodes to try to re-capture our attention. If season three ends as badly as it has started...

Your Iraq storyline was not "timely" or "a new twist." You didn't "make us think." It was boring and depressing. Science fiction is about escapism, not your delusions about your artistic genius or the idea that you have something "timely" to say.

Also...the Apollo/Starbuck love triangle story is NOT sexy or interesting or dramatic. It's boring, illogical and rather pathetic. We don't give a damn about it. You're making us hate the two main characters. Watching Apollo fall in love with Starbuck has been as interesting as watching a toy poodle take dump. You could watch if you wanted...but why would you?

Your writers seem to be fascinated with cylon psychology. It may come as a surprise to you that your viewers are not. Either find God in space or stop blathering about him.

Here's a clue...think of your show as a book. Cut out all of the scenes that a reader might skip over to get to the good part.

Just once, could a good science fiction show survive its own writers?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:09 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Your writers seem to be fascinated with cylon psychology. It may come as a surprise to you that your viewers are not. Either find God in space or stop blathering about him.

Amen to that...who cares about toasters finding God...what the hell were they thinking  :evil:

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:39 am 

I thought the new Galactica was based on the old version's episodes (I did have to stop and think when "Apollo/Starbuck triangle" came up here; if you wonder why, remember who the original series' Apollo and Starbuck were . . .  :lol:  :lol: .), but it sounds like the new version may be "jumping the shark".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:25 pm 

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a team cost themselves with so many stupid mental mistakes like I just watched SD do tonight. :?  Two awful 15  yard penalites that kept New England drives alive and then there was that ridiculous decision by the punt retunrer to try and pick up his own muffed punt and run with it, depsite the fact that it was evident that there was going to be no place to go.  I mean even if there was room to try try and pick ip up and run they still teach you in Midget football to just fall on the ball, but even overlooking that there is no way, he was not going anywhere anyway.   Man they really have no one to blame for losing that game except for themselves.  What a horrible loss.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:45 pm 

Did you see the massive amount of purchases on eBay from the San Diego Charger's players?

CLICK HERE

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:43 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a team cost themselves with so many stupid mental mistakes like I just watched SD do tonight. :?  Two awful 15  yard penalites that kept New England drives alive and then there was that ridiculous decision by the punt retunrer to try and pick up his own muffed punt and run with it, depsite the fact that it was evident that there was going to be no place to go.  I mean even if there was room to try try and pick ip up and run they still teach you in Midget football to just fall on the ball, but even overlooking that there is no way, he was not going anywhere anyway.   Man they really have no one to blame for losing that game except for themselves.  What a horrible loss.

Have you ever seen Tom Brady or Bill Bellichik appear to actually ENJOY a football game.

I swear to god, I'll forgo watching the superbowl if the Patriots make it again.  Unless, maybe, it's against the Saints.  

Damn, I was SO looking forward to Saints-Chargers...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:49 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Have you ever seen Tom Brady or Bill Bellichik appear to actually ENJOY a football game.

I swear to god, I'll forgo watching the superbowl if the Patriots make it again.  Unless, maybe, it's against the Saints.  

Damn, I was SO looking forward to Saints-Chargers...

If Bellichik actually gets another ring, I may give up football forever.

Here's hoping for a Colts/Saints superbowl, I'd rather see Peyton finally make it only to lose miserably  :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:51 pm 

Beautiful!   :lol:

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:19 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:I thought the new Galactica was based on the old version's episodes (I did have to stop and think when "Apollo/Starbuck triangle" came up here; if you wonder why, remember who the original series' Apollo and Starbuck were . . .  :lol:  :lol: .), but it sounds like the new version may be "jumping the shark".

I wouldn't say that Battlestar Galactica had jumped the shark yet....

....but Space Fonzie is definitely strapping on his waterskis....particularly with a planned move of the show to Sunday night!  (Star Trek was moved to Sunday night back in 1968.....)

The show has been hampered by "bottle" episodes...where only interior shots or recycled exterior shots are used in order to save money.  One recent episode actually focused on a shipboard boxing match in which Apollo and Starbuck reviewed their retarded romance.  The boxing ring was the only new prop....so a very cheap episode.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:27 pm 

The Seahawks gave up the game to Chicago by a culmination of dozens of small errors....and a defensive backfield purchased at a junk shop.

Chicago ain't that good...the depressing part is that they might smother New Orleans as well....like a dead walrus smothering a seal.

San Diego just plain old fashion gave the game away with mental errors and undisciplined play.

Schottenheimer wastes a time out trying to reverse an obviously correct call.

A defensive back commits a selfish personal foul that gives New England life.

It was stupid beyond belief...and I don't blame LT for being angry at the end...but he should have shouted at his teammates.

Rivers is clearly still a year away from full competence.

I hope Chicago beats New Orleans....because I cannot stand many more heartwarming stories...and I don't want to watch them lose in the Super Bowl.

I hope Indianapolis beats New England...because I am so tired of New England and if Manning wins a Super Bowl maybe we can eventually stop talking about him.  Hey...it worked with Bill Cowher and John Elway.

I would dearly love to see Indy blow out Chicago in the Super Bowl...with much frustration for Da Bears fans.  Oh yes.

Mark   8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 97 of 111123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 109110111