Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 97 of 111123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:13 pm 

:roll: Looks to above post  :lol:  

I'm in agrees with you Mike. I had a friend who tried to indoctrinate (pun intended) me into the worshipers of this BBC phenomenon… But like yourself I kept saying  "are you kidding me with this stuff". I do have to admit I did like a few aspects of the show where science or thereabouts filled the dialogue, but again the special effects were on the bad side of the era. And  the acting…well we'll leave it at that.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Mike

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:32 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
The special effects have been entirely adequate and the acting has been first rate.

(Good special effects do NOT necessarily equal a good story.  Consider Red Dwarf, where the special effects are intentionally cheesy in a sort of tribute to Star Trek and Space 1999...hillarious.)

Mark   8)

Red Dwarf is a comedy and I'll cut it slack.  I did watch the original Star Trek but was never drawn fully in due to the lackluster special effects (it wasn't until the ST movies and then Next Generation that I really began to watch Star Trek with more than passing interest).
 I guess I'm mainly a visual/visceral viewer.  It can be the greatest story in the world, but if the special effects or presentation are bad, I won't care a bit about the story, only that the presentation is so off-putting that it totally destroys the mood.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:49 pm 

Heroes is quite good.
However after the first exciting 8 epesodes they went on extended 'vaycay' (Vacation for those in Riolinda) and wont be back till the end of my month......... 8)
:lol: Badmike and Kingofpain89 Know what i meant by that last line.... :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:22 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Heroes is quite good.
However after the first exciting 8 epesodes they went on extended 'vaycay' (Vacation for those in Riolinda) and wont be back till the end of my month......... 8)

Looks like Heores is going to get a second season.  I hate it when shows I like are cancelled after the 1st season.  Heores is about to be released onto Aussie TV.  If it was cancelled after the 1st season then I would probably not watch it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:09 pm 

While were on the topic of BBC Sci-Fi, does anyone remember the Tripods series adapted from the John Christopher novels?

Now the effects and acting were on the Dr. Who side, but I always was a sucker for the post-holocaust future stuff. I guess that's why I always loved Gamma World and Aftermath.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:24 am 

Aneoth wrote:Heroes is quite good.

Heroes started out great.  One of the best pilots I've ever seen.  However, I'm getting just a little worried...the last few episodes have been "samey", Nothing is really happening, and much like "Lost" nothing is really being discovered about the Heroes mysterious "purpose", unfortunately I think they are going to end up dragging this plotline out the entire season.  I hope the quality writing and characterization continues and they don't start falling into a "power of the week" or "everyone runs around this episode but nothing really happens" rut.  Still, they did manage a pretty good run of episodes with a surprise ending every time, some of them quite shocking.  And if you love comics, it's by far the best comic book story ever shown on TV (don't be fooled, it's not strictly SF no matter what the promos say, it's a comic book on TV, and they even have a tip of the hat by making one of the main characters a comic book artist and one a uber geek comic book fan!).  And don't forget, the cheerleader chick is SMOKING hot and Ali Larter ain't bad either.... :twisted:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 am 

Badmike wrote:
Heroes started out great.  One of the best pilots I've ever seen.  However, I'm getting just a little worried...the last few episodes have been "samey", Nothing is really happening, and much like "Lost" nothing is really being discovered about the Heroes mysterious "purpose", unfortunately I think they are going to end up dragging this plotline out the entire season.  I hope the quality writing and characterization continues and they don't start falling into a "power of the week" or "everyone runs around this episode but nothing really happens" rut.  Still, they did manage a pretty good run of episodes with a surprise ending every time, some of them quite shocking.  And if you love comics, it's by far the best comic book story ever shown on TV (don't be fooled, it's not strictly SF no matter what the promos say, it's a comic book on TV, and they even have a tip of the hat by making one of the main characters a comic book artist and one a uber geek comic book fan!).  And don't forget, the cheerleader chick is SMOKING hot and Ali Larter ain't bad either.... :twisted:

Mike B.

BTW, for a mini-rant, "Lost" has a few episodes into the marathon 13 week 2nd half of season three to do something, or I am OUT!!!  I still can't even figure out if this mess is Sci fi, horror, fantasy, action adventure, drama, soap opera, or WHAT.  I've never seen a show as popular as this that felt like each and every episode was written on the fly and the writers have NO CLUE what is going on, what is going to happen, or how it will all end up.  At least the writers of heroes appear to have a plan and a goal in sight...Lost started out great, lost steam the second half of season one, wandered and rambled around the entire season two, and while attempting to tighten things up the first few weeks of season three have really revealed nothing and only confused the plot more.  Too bad, as I think this show should have had a better fate, and probably would have, in the hands of more experienced or skilled writers....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:28 am 

Badmike wrote:BTW, for a mini-rant, "Lost" has a few episodes into the marathon 13 week 2nd half of season three to do something, or I am OUT!!!

Me, too. Already for me, Lost has gone from ritualistic live viewings, to delayed TiVo viewings on the same night, to TiVo viewings a couple of days later, to ... well, it's now on my "get to it whenever" list.

Lost's math no longer works for many viewers, and needs to be reversed in a double-quick manner. By which I mean: solving one mystery but introducing three more in every episode has become a terrible strategy. And, as Mike notes, the writers and producers also seem to be winging it.

Badmike wrote:And if you love comics, it's by far the best comic book story ever shown on TV (don't be fooled, it's not strictly SF no matter what the promos say, it's a comic book on TV, and they even have a tip of the hat by making one of the main characters a comic book artist and one a uber geek comic book fan!).

And at least three episodes have overt references to Marvel Comics characters or events, too, which is kind of fun.

Heroes has been excellent so far. One thing I've been impressed with is that the producers seem to have a definite pace in mind and are not falling into a far-too-easy-trap of having the characters all suddenly meet each other for a big group hug. The story and the characters are both being allowed room to breathe first.

MShipley88 wrote:Even though Battlestar Galactica has been in a slow point recently, I have been waiting eagerly for the new season three shows to start up again.

Galactica has been placed on notice here — I was bored silly through much of the previous arc's "Battlestar Iraq-tica" nonsense. Yes, SciFi, your show is not afraid to confront real issues: we get it already. I've already got CNN for that, though ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:10 am 

Xaxaxe wrote: "Battlestar Iraq-tica"

Now thats witty! :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:35 am 

Thanks; made it up myself! :)

Uh ... not really. I remember coming across that phrase in a review I read for the episode that featured the story of the New Caprica Police Force recruits.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 am 

Xaxaxe wrote: .Heroes has been excellent so far. One thing I've been impressed with is that the producers seem to have a definite pace in mind and are not falling into a far-too-easy-trap of having the characters all suddenly meet each other for a big group hug. The story and the characters are both being allowed room to breathe first.

Remember, though, "Lost" was pretty darn entertaining for most of the first season.   It seemed like the writers had a place they were going and the ride was going to be interesting.  Now, three years later, the ride has gotten annoying and even the most ardent fans are realizing the writers are making it up as they go along.  The problem is, Lost turned out to be the Emperor without any clothes. Hopefully Heroes can avoid that, and they have shown a willingness to actually advance storylines and plots and not drag them out incessantly  But as a word of caution, I would be alert for signs of "We don't know what's going to happen next and are just winging it" from the writers of this show, same as Lost.
  A funny aside, some of the same writers on Heroes worked on Lost the first season.  As if to totally burst any Lost fan's bubble, they have stated in interviews that Lost didn't have a "bible" (a code word for the game plan/character map/overreaching story arcs that dramas have season by season) per se and that yes, they were indeed making it up as they went along, and continually introduced plot elements that they themselves had no explanations for (which makes sense when you think how some of the character deaths, plot elements and revelations have been handled...)

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 am 

I was just reading a compilation of old X-men comics, and in #98 there's a certain plot twist that reminded me a lot of a plot twist from Lost last fall. I won't include any spoilers here, but if you have X-men #98 it involves Banshee, Jean Grey, and Wolverine, and it's the last panel. The scale is certainly much different, but the general idea is the same.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am 

IO Wrote
While were on the topic of BBC Sci-Fi, does anyone remember the Tripods series adapted from the John Christopher novels?

Now the effects and acting were on the Dr. Who side, but I always was a sucker for the post-holocaust future stuff. I guess that's why I always loved Gamma World and Aftermath.

I've always been a fan of John Christophers.

From the Tripods trilogy (which is now 4 books as a prequel recently came out), to 'a wrinkle in the skin', 'sword of the spirits' and 'death of grass'.

His best trilogy by far though was 'Fireball', with 'Newfoundland' and 'Dragon Dance', where 2 modern-age boys are drawn through a 'ball lightning' and transported to an 'if' world where it's still current time but the romans were still running the place.

Very cool 8)

I still think the tv series Sliders stole extremely heavily from the books, and Time Tunnel on the precept. I think 'Fireball' predates Time tunnel. 8O

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:36 pm 

Does anybody remember one of the grandaddy stories about time travel called "Lest Darkness Fall" by L. Sprague de Camp?

I consider it, along with "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", to be the archetypical stories that a lot of other time travel stories/movies/tv shows are based on right up to Crichton's "Timeline".

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:09 pm 

This is damn funny.  Check out this clip from Reno 911.

Funny Videos, Funny Clips & Funny Pictures | Break.com

Not as long or as hilarious as the "Fear of Girls" clip (which I will repost here for those that have never seen it) but pretty funny nonetheless.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

:lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:32 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:This is damn funny.  Check out this clip from Reno 911.

Not as long or as hilarious as the "Fear of Girls" clip (which I will repost here for those that have never seen it) but pretty funny nonetheless.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Very funny :lol:  :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:This is damn funny.  Check out this clip from Reno 911.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

LOL.....with a double barrel beer sneeze  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:31 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Not as long or as hilarious as the "Fear of Girls" clip (which I will repost here for those that have never seen it) but pretty funny nonetheless.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Fantastic  8)   Doug Doug is a worshiper of Satan and will burn in Hell.  8O

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 97 of 111123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 109110111