Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:54 pm 

Ok, this is very important, and I seriously want everyone's input:

During the holidays I got back on my stationary bike after a long layoff (and about 15 extra pounds).  I typically watch dvd shows while riding for an hour a pop.  Lately, I've worked my way through Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, The Shield seasons 1 & 2, Alias Season 1.  That should give you an overview of the type of stuff I like. Right now, I want to start a series I've never watched that I have several seasons of, so it can take me right through to the summer.  I have the complete runs of Babylon 5 and Farscape; I've never seen an episode of either show (seriously; I never had cable during the 90s).  Which one did you like more and why?  Which one should I watch first?  Should I alternate seasons or just plow through the complete seasons of each?  Need advice here...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:53 pm 

Badmike wrote:I have the complete runs of Babylon 5 and Farscape; I've never seen an episode of either show (seriously; I never had cable during the 90s).  Which one did you like more and why?  Which one should I watch first?  Should I alternate seasons or just plow through the complete seasons of each?  Need advice here...

Mike, if you can concentrate on a tv show while riding a bike you aren't working hard enough.  Get out there and do some hills :-)

I am a bit of a Farscape fan so I would sit through that one 1st.  For some reason I couldn't get into Babylon 5.  

Unfortunatley with most shows I have seen I never get to see all episodes.  BG is one I definitely want to get ahold of.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:43 pm 

Badmike wrote:Ok, this is very important, and I seriously want everyone's input:

I have the complete runs of Babylon 5 and Farscape; I've never seen an episode of either show (seriously; I never had cable during the 90s).  Which one did you like more and why?  Which one should I watch first?  Should I alternate seasons or just plow through the complete seasons of each?  Need advice here...

Mike B.

I have been a B5 fan since it came out and I can definitely say that it is a wonderful series. Getting through the first season will take some dedication but it sets the groundwork for the Shadow War and things to come. There is a lot of foreshadowing in the first season which makes you have to pay attention (on a bike should be no problem). After the first season you will see what my username is derived from. Some excellent space combats and special effects really enhance the series. Watch it on a hidef or 32"+ TV with surrond sound.

Go here for the episode/movie timeline and info on the series:

Lurker's Guide: Master Episode List

As far as FARSCAPE, my bother and sister-in-law were dedicated viewers and swore by the series. I always thought it was a bit odd (DR Whoish)

Anyway, Enjoy B5
Kosh

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Last edited by Kosh Vorlontay on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:46 pm 

Never saw Farscape so I can't comment on it, but I thought B5 was great.  The first four seasons are fantastic, about the best sci-fi I've ever seen, and some of the finest storytelling of any genre too.  It's a story arc that was well planned and executed.  The characters have depth and experience change based on what occurs in previous episodes.  There's no reset button as there often is in Star Trek.  It was planned from the beginning as a five year show, but the suits at Warner Brothers weren't pleased with the middling ratings and told the creator to finish up the story in the fourth season, which he did a bit too quickly.  Then TBS picked it up for a fifth season which just meandered because the creator had already finished his planned story at the end of season four.  I wish I could watch B5 for the first time again, I envy you.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:52 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:I always thought it was a bit odd (DR Whoish)

Steady on .. there is nothing wrong with Dr Who.   :wink:  

Kosh Vorlontay wrote: Some excellent space combats and special effects really enhance the series. Watch it on a hidef or 32"+ TV.

Now that I have a large hi def plasma I will have rent the series and rewatch ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:52 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Never saw Farscape so I can't comment on it, but I thought B5 was great.  The first four seasons are fantastic, about the best sci-fi I've ever seen, and some of the finest storytelling of any genre too.  It's a story arc that was well planned and executed.  The characters have depth and experience change based on what occurs in previous episodes.  There's no reset button as there often is in Star Trek.  It was planned from the beginning as a five year show, but the suits at Warner Brothers weren't pleased with the middling ratings and told the creator to finish up the story in the fourth season, which he did a bit too quickly.  Then TBS picked it up for a fifth season which just meandered because the creator had already finished his planned story at the end of season four.  I wish I could watch B5 for the first time again, I envy you.

Netflix my friend, that way you can get it in the order it needs to be seen.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:54 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Now that I have a large hi def plasma I will have rent the series and rewatch ...

Most definitely, you will not be disappointed. It also has a very well constructed music score too.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:03 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Most definitely, you will not be disappointed. It also has a very well constructed music score too.

Cool ... You are welcome to join me ... just bring the beer  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:17 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
I have been a B5 fan since it came out and I can definitely say that it is a wonderful series. Getting through the first season will take some dedication but it sets the groundwork for the Shadow War and things to come. There is a lot of foreshadowing in the first season which makes you have to pay attention (on a bike should be no problem). After the first season you will see what my username is derived from. Some excellent space combats and special effects really enhance the series. Watch it on a hidef or 32"+ TV with surrond sound.

Go here for the episode/movie timeline and info on the series:

Lurker's Guide: Master Episode List

As far as FARSCAPE, my bother and sister-in-law were dedicated viewers and swore by the series. I always thought it was a bit odd (DR Whoish)

Anyway, Enjoy B5
Kosh

Great guys, just exactly what I wanted.  My wife and I started Farscape tonight...like anything, I understand it getsbetter with age (farther along in the series) so I'm prepared for some hokey episodes at the beginning. The muppets are severely distracting...the FX is pretty good.  Everyone talking in a british/australian accent is disconcerting.  Anyway, should be a fun ride.  I'll tackle the first season of B5 after the first season of this.  Personally, I think I might like that better, but my wife hates Star Trek and ST type shows, I have a feeling she's going to like Farscape better.  I might save B5 for when she's not available to work out.
  A bit of background, I never watched one single episode of either of these shows when they came out....I guess I was too busy at the time, who knows, and I don't really watch a lot of TV at all.  So I would pick up the DVD sets when I came across them used in Half Price Books or video stores, saving them for a time when I could sit down and watch them all in order.   I like to watch a few seasons at a time, you get a good sense of writing and story arcs, as opposed to one episode every week or so.
  As for other SF stuff, I've actually seen a few episodes of Stargate, but honestly have yet to see one that I liked or interested me, so I doubt I'll go down this road with that show (despite what, 10 seasons in the can?).  Ditto with X-Files, never was much of a fan, some of the episodes sucked and some were ok, but I've probably only seen 20 episodes of the entire series. Love Battlestar Galactica I'll probably catch up on this eventually (only have season one).  Another one I'd like to catch up on one of these days is ST:DS9, the ocassional episode I would catch I rather liked, but again I've probably only seen maybe 20-30 episodes of the entire run.  Ditto ST: Voyager (which I really don't like that much).  
 The great thing is that everything is either on DVD or coming out on DVD!  Lots of goodies out there now, it used to be if you missed a show you were screwed forever, now you just go out and pick up season one of SWAT or Star Trek or something oddball like American Gothic and it's no problem!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:31 am 

Check out the movie trailer for the Live Action Transformers Movie!

Page Not Found - Yahoo!

Go full screen if you can, Absolutely Bitchen!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:05 am 

Like most, I never saw Farscape when it first was on--only the last couple of episodes when I finally got cable three years ago; it did look interesting and I'll have to check it out on DVD.  Babylon 5 was on an over-the-air station here for the first four years (then went to TNT the last season) but I managed to tape all of the episodes, and it was worth it to do so.  The over-arcing plot is really complex, though really subtle in the first season, and when a thread does get resolved, I would think that "aha, THAT is why THIS happened two seasons or so back!!"  Enjoy the DVD's.  
    (One head's-up:  You may not quite like the fifth season; that was because the exec. producer thought he would be cancelled after the fourth season and not be able to do a fifth season as he thought originally, so had to cram a lot into the fourth season episodes.  Then TNT bought out the rights to do a fifth season.)

AS an aside, that same local station once had a three-hour block one could only love.  Picture this:
>>  Star Trek:  DS9 at 8:00,
>>  Babylon 5 at 9:00;
>>  Star Trek: Voyager at 10:00---all on the same night. :!:  :!:

Made it heck to try and tape, but was a lot of fun to watch--all first run (or current season) and NEVER boring!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:39 am 

sleepyCO wrote:Like most, I never saw Farscape when it first was on--only the last couple of episodes when I finally got cable three years ago; it did look interesting and I'll have to check it out on DVD.  Babylon 5 was on an over-the-air station here for the first four years (then went to TNT the last season) but I managed to tape all of the episodes, and it was worth it to do so.  The over-arcing plot is really complex, though really subtle in the first season, and when a thread does get resolved, I would think that "aha, THAT is why THIS happened two seasons or so back!!"  Enjoy the DVD's.  
    (One head's-up:  You may not quite like the fifth season; that was because the exec. producer thought he would be cancelled after the fourth season and not be able to do a fifth season as he thought originally, so had to cram a lot into the fourth season episodes.  Then TNT bought out the rights to do a fifth season.)

AS an aside, that same local station once had a three-hour block one could only love.  Picture this:
>>  Star Trek:  DS9 at 8:00,
>>  Babylon 5 at 9:00;
>>  Star Trek: Voyager at 10:00---all on the same night. :!:  :!:

Made it heck to try and tape, but was a lot of fun to watch--all first run (or current season) and NEVER boring!

Yeh, I heard the 5th season is rather a let down after the first four seasons.  If everything gets wrapped up pretty good at the end of Season Four I may not even get around to it...
    Has anyone noticed the dearth of GOOD serial SF lately?  I guess Battlestar is doing well, but for the first time in a long time no Star Trek franchise, and other SF themed shows from last year (Invasion, a few others) all flopped.  Smallville is absolutely terrible.  I refuse to call "Lost" SF; just because the writers have made the show incomprehensible doesn't mean it's suddenly SF.  Hard to believe there has never been a "Star Wars" TV show, I heard there is one on the drawing board (animated?).

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 pm 

Is the second season of Charlie Jade coming out soon?  It is a good Sci Fi show.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:21 pm 

Mars wrote:Is the second season of Charlie Jade coming out soon?  It is a good Sci Fi show.

Who  :?:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:31 pm 

Never heard of that Jade guy.   :?

Even though Battlestar Galactica has been in a slow point recently, I have been waiting eagerly for the new season three shows to start up again.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:49 pm 

Mars wrote:Is the second season of Charlie Jade coming out soon?  It is a good Sci Fi show.

Interesting reviews online...they swing from "one of the best SF series ever" to "absolute crap".  Premise sounds interesting though.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:57 pm 

BTW, apropos of nothing, I absolutely loathe Dr. Who.  I haven't seen the "latest" incarnation, so it might have improved, but I have never been able to watch even one episode all the way through.  I enjoy SF but have discovered the stuff I like the best has to give me a certain "suspension of belief" to be effectve.  Most of the Dr. Who I've seen, with it's cheesy, cheap ass special effects, terrible acting, and creatures more at home on a 1950's Outer Limits episode than a 70's-80's TV production, leave me bored in the best of cases and extremely irritated in the worst.  I guess I'm one of the few to utterly miss the supposed charm and whimsey that the show is supposed to produce in it's ardent fan base (and you can count one of my brothers and an ex-girlfriend among that number).  
  Having said this, one aspect of the show is utter genius, the "regeneration" of a new Doctor every so often.  Totally puts the show in the hands of the writers, since if a Dr. Who isn't popular, holds out for more money, or gets hit by a double decker bus, writing the actor out is of no concern at all and the new actor is easily worked in due to this plot device!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:12 pm 

I have never been a Dr. Who fan before.  

The most recent shows (and two different Dr. Who actors) have been a lot of fun.

The stories are interesting and there have been some original ideas rather than sci fi re-hash.  

For instance, one of the best shows was about a Dr. Who enthusiasts club called LINDA:  "London Investigative 'N Detective Agency."  They want to learn about the mysterious "Doctor," but get sidetracked into other projects...until they fall into an actual Dr. Who plot.  It was really good.

The special effects have been entirely adequate and the acting has been first rate.

(Good special effects do NOT necessarily equal a good story.  Consider Red Dwarf, where the special effects are intentionally cheesy in a sort of tribute to Star Trek and Space 1999...hillarious.)

My wife TIVO's the Dr. Who episodes and I always get sucked in.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111