Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 93 of 111123 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:49 pm 

I wonder if they were carrying a compass. Seems to me, that in this age of everything GPS, they might have omitted that piece of equipment.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:08 pm 

Anybody watch the Sci Fi movie (Saturday night) called Dead and Deader or something like that. It was their weekly new movie.

Anyway, was that really Dean Cain??? He looked like sh*t. I swear he put on about 50lbs.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:44 pm 

Dean Cain has been stuck doing B movies.  Might as well eat.  :?

Mark    8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:52 am 

Just had an eBay sale on a lot of old my old Starlog magazines Issues 1-16 to a buyer in Italy. They bid without asking shipping costs.
After packing items and getting weight, box dimensions etc. I sent the invoice to the buyer in Italy filippo2696 with a shipping cost of $32.00 US through Canada Post for a 2.5 kg package.

I got back the following.
thanks for your reply. before sending payment, i would like to ask you a little favour. i already have issues #12, #14 and #15. would it be possible for you to take out of the lot these 3 issues and do a little discount to me??
maybe on the lot price, or maybe on the shipping cost.
please let me know.
with 3 issues less, the package should weight less, and should cost less, i think.

To which I replied:
I listed these items as a lot to avoid having to list them individually. I also made it clear in the listing details that international bidders should inquire about shipping costs.
Sorry, I am not going to break up this lot.

And just received this reply:
Wow!! ok, i understand it's so difficult and fatiguing to take 3 magazines out of the bunch and make a little discount. you are so kind!
payment will be via paypal on  thursday.

At the moment I am so F*%*&g mad that I don't trust myself to reply to the person. At the same time I am thinking that if I do receive their payment and ship the package that they will just chargeback on their creditcard and I'll be out of the shipping costs and items. To be fair the person has good feedback, but the attitude that they show in their last reply kind of throws me off.

As an eBay seller is there any options that I have to back out of the transaction?

Jason W.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:09 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:At the moment I am so F*%*&g mad that I don't trust myself to reply to the person. At the same time I am thinking that if I do receive their payment and ship the package that they will just chargeback on their creditcard and I'll be out of the shipping costs and items. To be fair the person has good feedback, but the attitude that they show in their last reply kind of throws me off.

The buyer is probably thinking the same thing from his perspective --- what a stubborn seller, what a rip-off on shipping, he probably will take my money and not ship the items, etc.
As an eBay seller is there any options that I have to back out of the transaction?

What has he done besides piss you off?  If he pays you, them he's held up his side of the bargain.

I get angry easily, and I've done many things that I can't take back.  Chill out; you're Canadian, so that should come naturally.   :D

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:16 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:What has he done besides piss you off?  If he pays you, them he's held up his side of the bargain.

I get angry easily, and I've done many things that I can't take back.  Chill out; you're Canadian, so that should come naturally.   :D

Thanks, my heart rate is back to normal. Guess I am just starting off on the wrong foot today. I am taking care of a parent that has alzheimers and am not having an easy morning. This was the straw, etc. etc.  :)

I'll give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

JasonW

Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:21 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:What has he done besides piss you off?  If he pays you, them he's held up his side of the bargain.

I dont think there is much you can do to back out of the sale except just not send him the items, refund his money, and take a negative which you probably dont want to do.  I guess you could send him a reply asking if he wanted out of the transaction or not and see if he accepts it.

Regardless if the buyer fulfills his side of the bargain or not he is a dick for getting bent out of shape after getting the seller's reply.  It is the seller's prerogative to change the details of the transaction to suit the buyer if he so chooses.  But if not, doesnt give the buyer the right to complain about it.  He read the auction description and bid on the items.  If he doesnt like the terms he shouldnt have bid.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:47 am 

Probably a silly question, but why not just sell him the 3 mags that he wanted for the final auction price listed so you can save him some shipping? Then you could just relist the other nine mags left in a new auction.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:04 am 

thehiddenone wrote:Probably a silly question, but why not just sell him the 3 mags that he wanted for the final auction price listed so you can save him some shipping? Then you could just relist the other nine mags left in a new auction.

The buyer needs nine magazines...not three.  Regardless, if Jason were to do that then he would be stuck with three magazines and either have to relist them or throw them away.

It would be like going into McDonalds, asking for them to take the pickles off of your Big Mac and then wanting a discount for it.   :roll:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:09 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

The buyer needs nine magazines...not three.  Regardless, if Jason were to do that then he would be stuck with three magazines and either have to relist them or throw them away.

It would be like going into McDonalds, asking for them to take the pickles off of your Big Mac and then wanting a discount for it.   :roll:

Okay nine mags.  The fact is if the buyer doesnt want the three mags.  :? Why cant the seller in question not ship the 3 mags that the buyer doesn't want, so that the buyer gets a slightly cheaper shipping price.  I fail to see where that is asking for a discount from the auction total. :roll:  If the seller in this case also doesnt want the mags, have him throw them away if he doesnt want to relist them on ebay.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:33 am 

thehiddenone wrote:

Okay nine mags.  The fact is if the buyer doesnt want the three mags.  :? Why cant the seller in question not ship the 3 mags that the buyer doesn't want, so that the buyer gets a slightly cheaper shipping price.  I fail to see where that is asking for a discount from the auction total. :roll:  If the seller in this case also doesnt want the mags, have him throw them away if he doesnt want to relist them on ebay.

The original listing was for 16 magazines and they don't want 3 so the total that they want is 13 magazines. The weight of the package for all items is 2.5 kg. 3 magazines will reduce that, but it will still be above 2 kg and with the prices of Canada Post the reduction would be insignificant.

Here is the listing:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

As far as I know, my eBay fees that I will be charged is based on the total sale and is not for any discounts that I might choose to give the buyer after the sale is closed. I listed these things as a lot and asked international buyers to contact me before bidding so I could furnish them with a shipping quote.

If you had a lot of modules you were selling would you allow the winner of the auction to pick and choose a few of the items from the lot and then have to relist the rest of them?

Jason W.

Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:38 am 

thehiddenone wrote:

For me this is about principle.  If he wanted to ask questions about getting a discount, the buyer should have asked before the auction had ended...not after.  Then if he didnt like the answer he just doesnt bid.

This is pretty much standard for all Ebay auctions and most sellers will state to ask questions before bidding to avoid these issues.  If they dont it should be implied.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:39 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:
If you had a lot of modules you were selling would you allow the winner of the auction to pick and choose a few of the items from the lot and then have to relist the rest of them?

Jason W.

Absolutely.  Why wouldn't you? The second auction listing would allow you to make even more money then the first one would all by itself.  Above and beyond the fact that it is good customer service to allow the buyer to not have you ship certain items, its allowing you to again make money on items that you had already made money on in the first place.  That seems win-win to me.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:46 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
For me this is about principle.  If he wanted to ask questions about getting a discount, the buyer should have asked before the auction had ended...not after.  Then if he didnt like the answer he just doesnt bid.

This is pretty much standard for all Ebay auctions and most sellers will state to ask questions before bidding to avoid these issues.  If they dont it should be implied.

The buyer is not specifically asking for a discount on the auction, he is looking to reduce the shipping cost.  Look at it this way, if a seller from Canada had up an orange b3, a lost tomoachan, a mono ghost tower of inverness, and a never before touched 1st print woodgrain set along with an encyclopedia set for a $10 buy it now. Don't you think that you would be asking the seller to not ship the encyclopedia set along with the other stuff that you wanted?  Granted my example is extreme, but it outlines the exact same case that is occuring here. I still can't understand why a seller would force a buyer to take something they don't want if it is simply saving the buyer on shipping costs. I wouldnt go for reduced auction price thing that the buyer mentioned, but as I stated above I can't think of any reason why a seller wouldn't take the deal for not shipping everything for the same auction price.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:50 am 

My thoughts on listing these magazines is that they constituted a run of issues from #1 to #16 inclusive. They are not all in great shape and in fact there are two or three that I would grade as poor. All of that was clearly stated and shown in pictures in the listing. However, from my perspective as a seller, the sum of the items as a "run" of issues was more attractive than breaking them up as individual items.

Individual magazines that are not first issues or special issues are about as useless to try to sell as individual Dragon magazines of the higher issue numbers that you might get lucky and sell for 25 to 50 cents per item.  :wink:

I am not trying to give a buyer a hard time, I just wish that they had asked the questions before they bid. My personal buying ethics on eBay is that if I have any questions I will ask the seller. If they do not get back to me before the auction closes I do not bid. Easy as that. These are not one of a kind items so if you are patient more will come along eventually.  :P

Jason W.

Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:24 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:I just wish that they had asked the questions before they bid.

Jason W.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:47 am 

thehiddenone wrote:
The buyer is not specifically asking for a discount on the auction, he is looking to reduce the shipping cost.  Look at it this way, if a seller from Canada had up an orange b3, a lost tomoachan, a mono ghost tower of inverness, and a never before touched 1st print woodgrain set along with an encyclopedia set for a $10 buy it now. Don't you think that you would be asking the seller to not ship the encyclopedia set along with the other stuff that you wanted?  Granted my example is extreme, but it outlines the exact same case that is occuring here. I still can't understand why a seller would force a buyer to take something they don't want if it is simply saving the buyer on shipping costs. I wouldnt go for reduced auction price thing that the buyer mentioned, but as I stated above I can't think of any reason why a seller wouldn't take the deal for not shipping everything for the same auction price.

I have to agree.  If the buyer wants you to not ship some of the lot, it's easy enough.  It costs you nothing.  If you don't want to relist the part of the lot he's asked you not to ship, throw it out!  Reduce shipping if it makes a difference.  ;)

Incidentally, you might want to investigate "Small Packet" services with Canada Post.  It is often considerably cheaper.  (It's no Media Mail, but it's something!)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:10 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Incidentally, you might want to investigate "Small Packet" services with Canada Post.  It is often considerably cheaper.  (It's no Media Mail, but it's something!)

Hi Deimos,

That price I quoted the buyer was based on the Canada Post website calculator. Removing the three items does not drop the package below the 2 KG upper limit for small packets. To do that I would have to sacrifice packaging protection which I am loath to do, especially shipping to Europe.

http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools ... _int-e.asp

2.5 kg with the dimensions of 12.25 inches by 10 inches by 4.25 inches.

Jason W.

Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 93 of 111123 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 109110111