Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:50 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
i think we get more exposure to your sports, than you probably do to ours....

Not too much doubt about that, but then again that is just par for the course with the rest of the US media.  I would love it if our multitude of sport channels over here actually covered other non-US sports like Cricket and Rugby. Instead we get 3 ESPNs one of which is a 24 hour sports news station and yet the other two still run at least 8 hours of sports news a day anyway.  Why cover other interesting sports when you can cover things like TO talking sh*t on Donovan McNabb last year while doing push-ups in driveway after being kicked out of training camp or perhaps how *<insert athlete name here>* just got arrested again or maybe what A-Rod does on his down time while he is at home or just how many arrests that Shaquille O'Neal imade n his part time police officer role  during the offseason, etc. etc.. :roll:   The worst part of it all is that they would still have time to cover all the BS "sports news" stories and cover other sports if they weren't intent on repeating the same news stories 10 times a day. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:46 pm 

I thought it was funny to see Grammatica obviously praying to make the field goal right after a shot of a Giant's player on his knees at the team bench, obviously praying that Grammatica would miss.  Football must put God in some awkward dilemmas.

No call in the Seattle/Steelers Super Bowl was anywhere near as bad as the worst all-time Super Bowl call:

Benny Barnes has position on Lynn Swann, deep in Dallas territory.  Swann reaches out and pushes Barnes down...and then falls over Barnes' tumbling form.  Barnes is called for pass interference and the Steelers are in position make their last, crippling score.  Barnes leaps to his feet and begins to scream obscenities at the official...who does not flag Barnes for it...does his best to ignore Barnes...because he knows what he just did.  (Swann was the bigger star.)

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm 

Vinnie Barnes?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:03 pm 

It was Benny Barnes:

Quite naturally, there were three versions of what happened on the controversial interference call on Barnes.

Barnes: "He [Swann] shoved me, knocked me down and tripped over me. When I saw the flag, I was mad, damn right. It was the closest I'll ever come to punching an official, I guess. I cussed him. I think he must have known he was wrong, because normally when you cuss an official, you get penalized.

Swearingen: "It was a judgment call. The two players bumped before the ball was even close to them. They were both looking back and the defender went on the ground. The Pittsburgh receiver, in trying to get the ball, was tripped by the defender's feet."

Swann: "I believe Barnes did interfere. But I'm not so sure, because I wasn't in a position to see. I know I didn't push off of him, and I was tripped. It was a very important play. If we hadn't scored right after that, we'd be in the locker room right now, and the Cowboys would be doing all of the interviews."

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:25 pm 

I wouldn't know who it was or what actually happened, I was only 6 years old when the Steelers won thier 4th Super Bowl.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:49 am 

Swann "isn't sure."

This is an excellent example of an official forming a picture of what was supposed to happen and making a call based on that.  Swann was supposed to catch the ball and win the game...therefore, the fact that he did not could only be explained if Barnes interfered with him.

Swearingen: "It was a judgment call. The two players bumped before the ball was even close to them. They were both looking back and the defender went on the ground. The Pittsburgh receiver, in trying to get the ball, was tripped by the defender's feet."

You will note that Swearingen admits that his call was wrong:  "They were both looking back"..."bumped before the ball was even close." This is the definition of incidental contact.  In football talk, Barnes "had position."

The only thing that mitigates in Swearingen's favor was that in those days the NFL often allowed the offensive player much more leeway in making illegal contact.  Today, the call would have gone the other way almost for sure.

For a good example, TIVO back to Keyshawn Johnson's offensive pass interference call in tonight's Carolina/philadelphia game.

Swearingen's call decided the Super Bowl...except for that dropped gimme pass, etc....

Mark   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 am 

Maybe he (Grammatica) was praying he wouldn't rip up his ACL (MCL?) celebrating, like one of his brothers (??) did in the same stadium a few years ago, celebrating a field goal in the middle of the game--put him out for the season!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:20 am 

His brother should have prayed harder and celebrated less.  :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:26 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:Realistically only England can lose from the positions as at the end of day 4 - thru a first session Warne-induced batting collapse. We are what 97 ahead? We need to bat out to lunch - say another 100 or so for a couple of wickets but by then there is no realistic chance of bowling Australia out in two sessions without Monty.

Oh my god....  8O  :cry:

Sorry Al - it seems I may have brought a hex down on our side with my comment above.

What happens on the last day - we manage to lose our last nine wickets for just 60 runs with Warne taking 4-49 but the match was not so much won by Warne as lost by some terrible shot selection by batsmen who should know better.  :roll:

Have to say I was surprised at the time when we declared the first innings. The pitch was a pudding - we should have batted on and on past 700 and put the last day pressure on the Aussies.

I cannot believe what has happened - sorry cannot type more right now. To come back from this psychologically will take a miracle.

Cheers!
Nick

"Anyone who's against us we'll crush. In fact anyone who isn't for us we'll crush!" - attrib. Tex Colson (Nixon Campaign Aide)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:53 am 

well you know what, i just dunno what to say to that.

pathetic sums it up and well they got what they deserved. total respect to the oz lads for pushing the advantage, but lets face it, it wasnt australia pushing to win, it was england f*cking things up to lose.

all that effort for nothing.

better get ready, i will await the call up for the next test.

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:21 am 

WTFFFFFFFFFFF! 8O  8O  8O

Sorry guys.........and I didn't get to see any of it!

Even the wife was playing with the remote when the sport came on the news - so not even a sound bite :(

I'm going to have to wait up tonight to try and catch it on the late, late sports program.

Warnie bowled well, but he's a very naughty boy (with plenty of photos around to prove it) so he can't be the messiah.

Great result for us, can't believe the crumble. :cry:

Al they need you, now! I'll put the kettle on.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:05 am 

Apparently there were two horses running today at obscure National Hunt meetings in England.

Warne's Way - won at good odds!

Flintoff - came in second, leading into the final straight, weakened two furlongs out.

:D  I'm not making this up if Five Live are to be believed - goes off to do some googling....

Cheers!
Nick

"Anyone who's against us we'll crush. In fact anyone who isn't for us we'll crush!" - attrib. Tex Colson (Nixon Campaign Aide)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:41 am 

TSR Logos

I believe the wizard logo actually appears before Dec 78

Why:
Players Handbook 1st (6?/78) Has Wizard Logo on Cover (most likely before 7/78 since Gamma World in product list debut at Origins in July)

D1 Descent into the Depths of the Earth 1st (8?/78) (Debuted at GenCon August 1978)
D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa 1st (8?/78) (Debuted at GenCon August 1978)
D3 Vault of the Drow 1st (8?/78) (Debuted at GenCon August 1978)
((All 3 D mods have Wizard Logo))

Gamma World 2nd (8/78) Has Wizard Logo

Basic Rulebook 4th-6th 2nd Edition (11/78) Has Wizard Logo on Rulebook Cover

B1 In Search of the Unknown 1st (11/78) Has Wizard Logo on Cover

Dragon 17 (Aug 1978) Wizard logo first appears ((Dragon 16 July 1978 Lizard logo appears))

So am I wrong to assume the Wizard Logo starts Aug 1978, and do we know if the Lizard Logo ends in Dec 1978 or could it be July 1978 (need to check my supplement booklets on this though)?

If anyone has 1st prints of the G mods and D mods I'd be appreciative if you could send me clear scans/photos of the product lists, same with Gamma World 1st print.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:39 pm 

Seems like I read someone was looking for ceramic cups/mugs:

Dungeons and Dragons 30th Anniversry tankard
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 1&rd=1

Cheers

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 pm 

No school tomorrow...the last day before Christmas break!  High winds are zapping the Northwest.  Amazing that we still have power at my keep.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:05 am 

MShipley88 wrote:No school tomorrow...the last day before Christmas break!  High winds are zapping the Northwest.  Amazing that we still have power at my keep.

Mark   8)

Just watching the news, about the lost Oregon mountain climbers (two are from Dallas I believe).  The said the winds are hurricane like in Oregon, sounds like you are getting a lot of that even farther north. Can't be good for those guys wherever they are lost on Mt Hood.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:31 pm 

I know it can happen anywhere, but I grew up in the shadow of Mount Hood and Mount St. Helens (both visible from much of Portland).  I can never figure out how you get "lost" up there.  

I realize there's more to it, but "down" would always seem a good option for getting off a mountain.   :?

I guess you have to balance that with the appearance of the woods around my keep.  The forest looks like it has been lashed into submission over the past several weeks.  Trees are down all over the area, including some that just missed our walls.  :(

Mark

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:49 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I realize there's more to it, but "down" would always seem a good option for getting off a mountain.   :?

I once went on a walk-around-Rainier-for-a-few-hours tourist hike, and I was glad that I had trails to follow.  Without them I had no idea what was around me other than snow and rocks.  Yes, "Down" is a good option, but not if you are heading in the wrong direction and can't tell what the correct direction is.

When I lived in Seattle, hikers seemed to get lost every year when the snow fell.  I'm sure the view/challenge/experience is worth the risks for some people, but I prefer to be warm and inside when snow is in the forecast.

Maybe all hikers should be required to play that 3M "Outdoor Survival" game.  :)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111