Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 89 of 111123 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:50 am 

Plaag wrote:How does one make the [b]cent[/c] sign for html or word programs?

ShaneG.

Shane .  . . did you mean the   ¢   sign like this?  In word, just go to Insert on the top bar and then down to Symbol.  Scroll through the symbols.  You can hot key it, etc.

If you set a hotkey, then you could probably hit that when typing in html  . . . wait let me check.

Okay, no the hot key I assigned the cent sign only works in Word and it won't paste to notepad.  However, you can cut and paste in into notepad/html and then keep copying and pasting it as needed.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:16 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Shane .  . . did you mean the   ¢   sign like this?  In word, just go to Insert on the top bar and then down to Symbol.  Scroll through the symbols.  You can hot key it, etc.

If you set a hotkey, then you could probably hit that when typing in html  . . . wait let me check.

Okay, no the hot key I assigned the cent sign only works in Word and it won't paste to notepad.  However, you can cut and paste in into notepad/html and then keep copying and pasting it as needed.

Awesome, thanks!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:25 am 

An (Australian) ebay auction  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
just ended. The bid history has the bidder1, bidder2, etc.

offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBid ... :MEWA:BIDN

Here's ebay's msg.

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

This seems vague. Anyone know what 'fake offers' ebay is talking about?
How about the 'certain cases, some bidders' part?  :(

Thanks[url][/url]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:07 am 

brute wrote:An (Australian) ebay auction  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
just ended. The bid history has the bidder1, bidder2, etc.

offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBid ... :MEWA:BIDN

Here's ebay's msg.

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

This seems vague. Anyone know what 'fake offers' ebay is talking about?
How about the 'certain cases, some bidders' part?  :(

Thanks[url][/url]

We actually discussed this a few days ago here:

protecting the bidders from the fraudsters.

That said, what ebay is trying to pass of as protection for buyers is actually a load of bullocks as our UK friends say.  A lot of times when an auction goes for large amounts on Ebay, no matter what it is, several of the high bid runner up bidder receive an influx of fake second chance offers from third parties phishing to steal money from them by claiming that they are the seller and that they have more than one of the item that they can sell.  Now second chance offers can be legitimate, but anyone with half a brain can immediately determine what the real ones are versus the fake ones are.   Since Ebay is so greedy and they are unwilling to do away with second chance offers(of which I could write a book about why they won't do away with them, but I will spare you that), they are implementing this change under the guise of "protecting their bidders".  As evidenced by the tread we discussed this earlier, you can see that just about everyone is totally against this practice as it will invite sellers to now shill thier auctions with almost impunity as the community itself will be unable to determine fully who is bidding on what. :roll:   That pf course is another story all in itself as you can tell by own and others comments within that thread.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:11 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Al,

Things are looking a lot rosier for you in the second test.

Great first innings, and we're off to a very shaky start with one wicket gone already. :cry:

hey bren

day 3 seems to have evened matters out now. though i am happier with a much better england performance, it now makes for a better game, though i think it will play out to a draw imo, unless something incredibly dramatic happens.

i just wish our bowlers would sort themselves out. hoggard looked totally unplayable at times and i wish the others would take heed and follow his example.

still, prb just about evens now i think - enjoyable to watch though!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:26 am 

Plaag wrote:How does one make the [b]cent[/c] sign for html or word programs?

ShaneG.

Shane, Word is a mysterious beast, but here's the table of HTML codes:

HTML Codes - Table of ascii characters and symbols

(You just copy and paste the things starting with & and ending with ;
as there is no HTML brackets necessary.)

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:41 pm 

Thanks! Unfortunately, I do not see a silver lining with this impending change. I agree that this appears to be a greed driven policy. Shouldn't buyers and sellers take it upon themselves to make sure they aren't being phished or whatever. I don't need an ebay nanny, and makes ebay smell more like those seedier auction / 'estate sale' guys. Alas, now I may wonder if I'm being shilled every time I use their site, much more than before.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:39 pm 

:x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:

Arrrrgghhhh!!!

A pox on Jerry Jones for bringing the plague that is Terrell Owens to the Cowboys.  Why is it so difficult for him to hold on to the damn ball?  They booted Mike Vanderjagt off the team for inconsistency, I think they should do the same to Owens.  He is by far the biggest (insert any suitable derogatory noun here) ever to play the game in my humble opinion.

He and Jeremy Shockey should start their own game show....Who Wants to Date an Asshole?
8O

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:48 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote::x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x  :evil:

Arrrrgghhhh!!!

A pox on Jerry Jones for bringing the plague that is Terrell Owens to the Cowboys.  Why is it so difficult for him to hold on to the damn ball?  They booted Mike Vanderjagt off the team for inconsistency, I think they should do the same to Owens.  He is by far the biggest (insert any suitable derogatory noun here) ever to play the game in my humble opinion.

He and Jeremy Shockey should start their own game show....Who Wants to Date an Asshole?
8O

13-13..Dallas still has a shot and Martin Gramatica is 2 out of 3 for not kicking a FG in years..pretty good (May come down to him making a winning FG)

Here's hoping Dallas wins any way they can..

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:22 pm 

3 out of 4  :D

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:23 pm 

Plaag wrote:
13-13..Dallas still has a shot and Martin Gramatica is 2 out of 3 for not kicking a FG in years..pretty good (May come down to him making a winning FG)

Here's hoping Dallas wins any way they can..

ShaneG.

If Vanderjagt was still here, it would now be in overtime.  Hell yeah!  Screw you Shockey!  :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:15 pm 

Hey, and the Stealers won against Tampa Bay!  They're in the playoff hunt, right?  :oops:

Go Cowboys!

I did not think I would see a Parcells Superbowl team in Dallas...but maybe now...?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:20 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Hey, and the Stealers won against Tampa Bay!  They're in the playoff hunt, right?  :oops:

Go Cowboys!

I did not think I would see a Parcells Superbowl team in Dallas...but maybe now...?

Mark   8)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:26 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Hey, and the Stealers won against Tampa Bay!  They're in the playoff hunt, right?  :oops:

I was actually going to say yes, but then I remembered that we actually play in the AFC and not the NFC. :roll:   If the Eagles beat the Panthers tommorow night there is going to be a grand total of 4 teams in the NFC with a winning record, 4 after 12 weeks.  Even if the Eagles lose, there is still only going to be a total of 5, not exactly setting the world on fire over there are you guys.  Going into tonights Denver/Seattle game the AFC record versus NFC this year through week 12 is 35-20, a .636 winning percentage.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I was actually going to say yes, but then I remembered that we actually play in the AFC and not the NFC. :roll:   If the Eagles beat the Panthers tommorow night there is going to be a grand total of 4 teams in the NFC with a winning record, 4 after 12 weeks.  Even if the Eagles lose, there is still only going to be a total of 5, not exactly setting the world on fire over there are you guys.  Going into tonights Denver/Seattle game the AFC record versus NFC this year through week 12 is 35-20, a .636 winning percentage.

Yeah, yeah..we had the AFC in the 80's, 90's...seems fitting that they have a shot at taking some superbowls now.

All I know is the Packers aren't in the hunt, but as long as Chicago doesn't make it to the Superbowl I'll be happy :wink:
GO DALLAS!

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:08 pm 

The Stealers' win doesn't play well in the NW.

Pointing out that they did not win is hardly whining.  Simply stating a fact.

If the same calls had happened to the Steal-ers, we would still be hearing about it....but that wouldn't have happened, because the story of the game was "Bill Cowher and Jerome Bettis finally get their Super Bowl,"  and it clearly influenced the officiating.

That's OK...reality is what it is...but let's not pretend that the Stealers won straight up.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:22 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:The Stealers' win doesn't play well in the NW.

Pointing out that they did not win is hardly whining.  Simply stating a fact.

If the same calls had happened to the Steal-ers, we would still be hearing about it....but that wouldn't have happened, because the story of the game was "Bill Cowher and Jerome Bettis finally get their Super Bowl,"  and it clearly influenced the officiating.

That's OK...reality is what it is...but let's not pretend that the Stealers won straight up.

You are kidding right, the better team won, period.  Just because people in Seattle don;t acknowledge it doesn't mean anything either.  You all really need to just get over it.  Since you bring it up though, and since everyone up in the NW seems to like to forget about the blown calls that went agaonst the Steelers, lets take a look at the "clearly influenced" officating from a neutral third parties perspective.  From:

Super Bowl XL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gregg Easterbrook of NFL.com wrote:Four of the six big officiating decisions went against Seattle. Does this mean a pro-Steelers bias, as some in the sports yak world are saying, or perhaps a slap at Mike Holmgren by the officiating guild? ... The two decisions that favored the Hawks were the fourth-quarter replay reversal that gave possession, initially awarded to Pittsburgh, back to Seattle; and the no-call of a block in the back by Seattle during Kelly Herndon's record interception return. Of the four big decisions that favored the Steelers, two seemed correct to me.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:39 pm 

The only reason you think the Stealers were a better team is because you are from the East (East of Wyoming is East from the perspective of the West).

The Seahawks are nearly invisible on the national level, otherwise you would be aware that the Seahawks smashed their way to the Super Bowl with the league's best offensive line and a great defense.  It was no fluke.

Of the game itself:

1)  Darrel Jackson was not a big enough star.  Any big name receiver gets the touchdown.  It was not possible for the Seahawks to strike so hard so soon...therefore they did not.  The play was a touchdown.

2)  The holding penalty that kept the Seahawks away from the end zone simply did not happen.  The officials were expecting "The Vaunted Steelers Defense" to rise up and get a sack.  When that did not happen, the reason had to be a holding penalty.  Nothing else could have explained why "The Vaunted Steelers' Defense" did not stop the Seahawks.

3)  I don't care as much about the Roethlisberger touchdown-that-never-happened.  Maybe the Steelers would have scored on the next play.  The fact is, the officials made the call because the story of the play was "Big Ben Roethlisberger" powers into the endzone.  That's what they expected and that's what they saw.  The idea that "Big Ben Roethlisberger" did not get into the end zone was simply unthinkable.

The Steelers themselves were almost rooked out of the Super Bowl against Indianapolis when the MOST OBVIOUS INTERCEPTION IN NFL HISTORY was denied on replay.  The problem with that play was that the story was supposed to be "The Great Peyton Manning Leads His Team to Victotry."  Since that was the script, it was simply impossible to rule that "The Great Peyton Manning" had just lost the game for his team with a bone-headed interception.

4)  Mike Holmgren criticized the NFL officiating after the Super Bowl.  The NFL always fines coaches who publicly criticize the officials.  It is a rule.  There was no fine for Holmgrem because the NFL was desperate to make the story go away as fast as possible.  In the words of Al Michaels (not my words...his) "The fact that the NFL did not fine Holmgrem speaks realms."

I think that the Steelers were just as much the victims of the officiating as the Seahawks.  We'll never know who would have won a fair game.  As it is, the Steelers are left with a tainted victory that should always have an asterisk next to it.

Mark   8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 89 of 111123 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 109110111