Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 87 of 111123 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 109110111
Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 06, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:08 am 
 

bonk! wrote:Apparently Peter Jackson will not be directing "The Hobbit".  That bites.

Page Not Found - Yahoo!


I think everyone ought to boycott the movie if he doesnt direct.  That is like having someone besides James Cameron direct a Terminator sequel.  Oh wait...they already did that.  :|

But what I dont get is what is the LOTR prequel?  I would assume they would be referring to The Hobbit but the way the article is written it sounds like there is another LOTR project in the works besides The Hobbit.  Anyone know what they are referring to or is this just a reporting blunder?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:21 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I think everyone ought to boycott the movie if he doesnt direct.  That is like having someone besides James Cameron direct a Terminator sequel.  Oh wait...they already did that.  :|

But what I dont get is what is the LOTR prequel?  I would assume they would be referring to The Hobbit but the way the article is written it sounds like there is another LOTR project in the works besides The Hobbit.  Anyone know what they are referring to or is this just a reporting blunder?


KOP

if you have a look at the link, it refers to The Hobbit.

its keyed in for 2009 i think - IMDB has it listed for then anyway.

wingnut (jackson's company), are currently in litigation with new line anyway, so i always thought him doing the hobbit was always gonna be a long-shot anyway.

Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:25 pm 
 

anyway, enough talk of the hobbit.

the film you SHOULD be looking forward to is Frank Miller's 300:

Apple - Trailers - 300 - HD

go check out the trailer - this film is gonna be nothing short of incredible. by all accounts so far, its well along the track to being the film of 2007 - its out on release around March i think.

Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3804
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 14, 2022

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
    I take back all the wishy-washy feelings I had about Romo. He's the real deal!
  Manning has always struck me as a big cry-baby.  All the jumping around and gesticulating and sorry whining yesterday was really annoying..like he thinks he should get the calls because, well, he's PEYTON MANNING and has a lot of commercials on TV. And the Cowboys got one of the worst "roughing the passer" calls EVER when a defensive player TOUCHED (no exaggeration) Manning after he had thrown the ball.....I'm sure the refs are instructed to protect the face of the NFL like he's made of gold.
    I've got an idea, why don't you WIN A BIG GAME someday, Mr. Hollywood?
 As for LT, what can you say.  He's the best back I've seen since Emmitt Smith himself.  I wouldn't be surprised someday if he breaks all Emmitt's records someday, particularly the TD one.  He can score anywhere on the field, and the guy has thrown something like 5 TD passes in his career also. Just a monster player.

Mike B.


Well, LT did break records held by Jim Brown and Emmitt Smith in that game:  fewest games played to 100th touchdown.  Incredible.

As for Manning, he's a pussy.  I won't mention names, but a former defensive player for the Saints just moved to town.  He's been retired for many years, and lost a bunch of property during Katrina.  Anyway, his daughter plays with my daughter, and we've hung out a few times.  He was telling me what a girly-boy Peyton was as a kid.  He used to come to practice with his daddy Archie, so the guy saw a lot of him BITD.  Said he was always whining and crying.  To my surprise, Eli was apparently the tougher of the two.  Remember how Peyton threw his entire offensive line under the bus after the Colts dropped out last season?  I'm surprised they give a damn about blocking for the a-hole after that.


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7975
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 04, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:39 pm 
 

bombadil wrote:
Well, LT did break records held by Jim Brown and Emmitt Smith in that game:  fewest games played to 100th touchdown.  Incredible.

As for Manning, he's a pussy.  I won't mention names, but a former defensive player for the Saints just moved to town.  He's been retired for many years, and lost a bunch of property during Katrina.  Anyway, his daughter plays with my daughter, and we've hung out a few times.  He was telling me what a girly-boy Peyton was as a kid.  He used to come to practice with his daddy Archie, so the guy saw a lot of him BITD.  Said he was always whining and crying.  To my surprise, Eli was apparently the tougher of the two.  Remember how Peyton threw his entire offensive line under the bus after the Colts dropped out last season?  I'm surprised they give a damn about blocking for the a-hole after that.


That's always been my impression of the elder Manning boy also.  Still waiting for him to win a big game....he might become like Elway some day (who had the "Can't win the big game label" his entire career until he won those two superbowls his last two years) but I won't hold my breath.  He's probably the most arrogant QB in the game today, and I was amazed when they played the Cowboys how many plays he changed at the line of scrimmage, screaming at his players, gesticulating, jumping up and down, as if he wanted everyone to know that HE was the QB and HE was going to run the play he wanted to!  Ridiculous.
 BTW, how about the season ending injury to McNabb?  Poor guy can't catch a break, he finally gets rid of TO and is having one of the best years of his career, and he tears his leg up and is out for the year.  I mean, I think it's great from a Cowboy fan standpoint and anything that hammers a stake into the Eagle's fans' hearts is great, but I respect the guy as a great player...you've got to wonder how many more of these type of injuries the guy can take before he has to retire.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 120
Joined: Nov 10, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 18, 2022
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:47 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:the film you SHOULD be looking forward to is Frank Miller's 300:
Apple - Trailers - 300 - HD


Saw the trailer for "300" on the big screen at the theatre the other day --it does look impressive.  Lots of sepia tone scenes (nice).  I hope the 'Persians' don't get the same PC treatment as did the Moors in "Kingdom of Heaven"...

bonk!

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:50 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
    I take back all the wishy-washy feelings I had about Romo. He's the real deal!
  Manning has always struck me as a big cry-baby.  All the jumping around and gesticulating and sorry whining yesterday was really annoying..like he thinks he should get the calls because, well, he's PEYTON MANNING and has a lot of commercials on TV. And the Cowboys got one of the worst "roughing the passer" calls EVER when a defensive player TOUCHED (no exaggeration) Manning after he had thrown the ball.....I'm sure the refs are instructed to protect the face of the NFL like he's made of gold.
    I've got an idea, why don't you WIN A BIG GAME someday, Mr. Hollywood?
 As for LT, what can you say.  He's the best back I've seen since Emmitt Smith himself.  I wouldn't be surprised someday if he breaks all Emmitt's records someday, particularly the TD one.  He can score anywhere on the field, and the guy has thrown something like 5 TD passes in his career also. Just a monster player.

Mike B.


I know I'm up here in New York, but I've been a Cowboy fan since grade school . . . I know, "America's Team" and all that . . .  but back in elementary school you either had a Cowboys lunchbox or a Steelers lunchbox and that was the way of things . . .   :D

Disclaimer aside - I don't know if Romo is the real deal yet, but he is certainly exciting to watch!  Sure, the team itself takes precedence, but it's great to have some players you can get excited about.  Romo is a guy I could feel good about for years.  DeMarcus Ware, Witten . . . even Julius Jones.  

I haven't been this excited about watching them play since the Glory Days (that would be the 90's for me  :D )


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3804
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 14, 2022

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:53 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:BTW, how about the season ending injury to McNabb?  


It sucks, man.  I've always been a Steelers fan, but I like the Eagles, too (mainly because they're my son's favorite team).  Without McNabb, though, it's hard to stay excited about them.  Penn State had a so-so year as well, so all-round disappointing football year for PA.


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 06, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:17 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
KOP

if you have a look at the link, it refers to The Hobbit.

its keyed in for 2009 i think - IMDB has it listed for then anyway.

wingnut (jackson's company), are currently in litigation with new line anyway, so i always thought him doing the hobbit was always gonna be a long-shot anyway.

Al


Actually they refer to TWO movies in the link.  The Hobbit being one and the other being the LOTR Prequel.  Yes, yes I know...The Hobbit IS the prequel to The Lord of the Rings but apparently there has been talk of something else in the works by New Line.

From Variety magazine:

Variety reported on Nov. 15 that New Line, in conjunction with MGM, were looking to produce The Hobbit and also a second prequel to the Lord of the Rings.

Jackson wrote in his email: "Several years ago, [New Line's] Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second (Lord Of the Rings) prequel, covering the events leading up to those depicted in (Lord Of the Rings.) Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies.


This is the first time I have ever heard mention of more than one prequel movie being made and the way that they reported it, it wasnt going to be The Hobbit part 1 followed by The Hobbit part 2 but a completely different movie set between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring.  I have most of the History of Middle-Earth books that Christopher Tolkien edited and published after J.R.R. died and I dont remember much of any details written about between the end of The Hobbit and the beginning of the trilogy.  Seems to me that if they made this movie there would be considerably more "artistic license" than in Jackson's trilogy.

anyway, enough talk of the hobbit.

the film you SHOULD be looking forward to is Frank Miller's 300:


Hmmm...I read the graphic novel that Frank Miller did years ago.  Liked it a lot.  And I have seen the preview.  Looks like Sin City meets Spartacus. :roll:   Hopefully it will work but I think I will wait for the rental.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:51 pm 
 

well there are a load of reviews for 300 up already on aint it cool news and all of them are sparkling at the moment. i loved sin city a lot, so am really looking forward to this and of course, i love these historical scraps too, so it will be a blast for me. its got no chance of being as bad as troy or alexander, so thats a bonus already!

as for the other "prequel" yeah i heard something about that a while ago. personally, i dont think they will go for it myself. i think they might have if jackson was on board, but now that that is looking pretty unlikely, i think the idea will be shelved.

i reckon it may well be the second age era where you have elendil and gil-galad etc and the lead up to the major battle at mount doom. that would be a good story to watch, though after just looking back through notes, i dont think there is enough there to make a major film.

i would personally love to see a film about the first age, either to do with the fall of gondolin or the witch king.

but i would just be very happy to see a well-made The Hobbit.

Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 339
Joined: Sep 09, 2006
Last Visit: May 17, 2022
Location: 8000 feet below the summit of Pikes Peak, Colorado

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:02 am 
 

Imagine if you would if there had been no free agency or salary cap in the 90's---I said at the time, after the second win, that these Cowboys could (barring injuries) win six or seven SB's in the '90's, and I would still stand by that statement.  (Much like the '98 Yankees were a lot of fun to follow in '98, '99, etc. and I'm not a Yankees [or Cowboys] fan!!)

Frustrating to see that Peter Jackson won't direct The Hobbit--thought he did as good a job as possible, given what he had to leave out due to time constraints, he followed the LOTR trilogy faithfully.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 30, 2022

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:49 am 
 

I believe that the working title of the "other" prequel is:

Silmarilion:  The Battle for More Cash

to be followed up by another prequel:

Ca-Ching Goes the Ring!

Or something like that.

Some suggested TV show titles:

Who Wants to Be a Ringwraith?

Bowling for Hobbits

Suvivor:  Mirkwood

MTV's The Real World - Hobbiton  (or Moria?)

Darklord Knows Best

I Love Luthien  (Beren plays in a band...Luthien always wants in.)

Uruk-Hai Theatre (Grishnakh as late night movie host.)

And, on public television:

Gaffer Gamgee Presents

Mark   8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 30, 2022

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:57 am 
 

bombadil wrote:
It sucks, man.  I've always been a Steelers fan, but I like the Eagles, too (mainly because they're my son's favorite team).  Without McNabb, though, it's hard to stay excited about them.  Penn State had a so-so year as well, so all-round disappointing football year for PA.


Steelers have all that bad Karma to overcome...

Many chuckles here for anything that goes wrong in philadelphia.  As a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, I love to see eagles fans suffer.  Oh the JOY when they lost the Super Bowl (get used to it, eagles fans...Cowboys fans have lost innumerable Super Bowls and NFC Championship Games).

...they have a courtroom and a jail right in their stadium.  Speaks realms about the eagles and philly.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:07 am 
 

not only four chainmails. another ghost tower uncovered. not listed.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7975
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 04, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:39 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:
Steelers have all that bad Karma to overcome...

Many chuckles here for anything that goes wrong in philadelphia.  As a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, I love to see eagles fans suffer.  Oh the JOY when they lost the Super Bowl (get used to it, eagles fans...Cowboys fans have lost innumerable Super Bowls and NFC Championship Games).
.


The Eagles won't have to worry about losing either of these this year...they might have to avoid losing OUT the entire string this year if the customary Eagle's post McNabb injury malaise takes hold... :D

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 06, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:49 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:I believe that the working title of the "other" prequel is:

Silmarilion:  The Battle for More Cash

to be followed up by another prequel:

Ca-Ching Goes the Ring!

Or something like that.

Some suggested TV show titles:

Who Wants to Be a Ringwraith?

Bowling for Hobbits

Suvivor:  Mirkwood

MTV's The Real World - Hobbiton  (or Moria?)

Darklord Knows Best

I Love Luthien  (Beren plays in a band...Luthien always wants in.)

Uruk-Hai Theatre (Grishnakh as late night movie host.)

And, on public television:

Gaffer Gamgee Presents

Mark   8)


Dude, those are hilarious!  :lol:   But you forgot a few:

CSI: Rivendell

The Baggins Bunch

This Old Hobbit Hole

Faramir: Ithilien Ranger

Everybody Loves Frodo

Dancing with the Dwarves

Iron Chef Gondor: Battle Lembas

Ok....I'll stop now.  :P

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2022

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:40 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:
Steelers have all that bad Karma to overcome....


Bad Karma for what? Have Seattle fans still not yet gotten over getting beat last year in the Super Bowl by the better team?


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7975
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 04, 2022
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:51 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Dude, those are hilarious!  :lol:   But you forgot a few:

CSI: Rivendell

The Baggins Bunch

This Old Hobbit Hole

Faramir: Ithilien Ranger

Everybody Loves Frodo

Dancing with the Dwarves

Iron Chef Gondor: Battle Lembas

Ok....I'll stop now.  :P


You know, I would actually tune in for CSI: Rivendell and the spin offs CSI: Lake Town and CSI: The Shire.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 87 of 111123 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 109110111