Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 75 of 111123 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:14 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Slight tangent: anyone here read Starlog Magazine back in the day? I've been filling in my collection (actually, my goal is to collect every single issue ... bwahahaha!) and I've found Gerrold's monthly columns from the '70s and '80s to be pretty interesting. And by "interesting" I mean "off-the-scale pompous."

I know practically nothing about the man, and I was barely able to finish the first Chtorr (or however it's spelled) book. Is he known for being ... uh, let's say "outspoken" ... or are those old columns just getting under my skin for some reason?

What issues of Starlog are you missing? just saw a small pile down the road yesterday thats all??

Brette:)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:26 am 

Actually, I'm looking really good on Starlogs if this auction ends up on a happy note:

First 205 issues

Unfortunately, I've recieved fewer than half of the issues to date. In fact, I've had to open up a PayPal dispute, which I really didn't want to do.

For the other issues, I'll just get them on the cheap from U.S. sellers. It's not a gaming magazine, but if anyone is interested, Starlog is definitely a buyer's market right now. :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:50 am 

now thats a good price.. !

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:05 am 

Apparently the seller thought it was too good a price.  From what Axe says, he has only gotten a portion of the auctioned items.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:08 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Slight tangent: anyone here read Starlog Magazine back in the day? I've been filling in my collection (actually, my goal is to collect every single issue ... bwahahaha!) and I've found Gerrold's monthly columns from the '70s and '80s to be pretty interesting. And by "interesting" I mean "off-the-scale pompous."

I know practically nothing about the man, and I was barely able to finish the first Chtorr (or however it's spelled) book. Is he known for being ... uh, let's say "outspoken" ... or are those old columns just getting under my skin for some reason?

The guy has made an entire career off the Star Trek "Trouble With Tribbles" episode.  In Trekkies minds, this places him in a pantheon along with the original cast members, Gene Rodenberry, Alan Dean Foster, and others.  Like Shatner (who has done other worthwhile things since) he has become quite self obsessed (having adulatory Trekkies slavering over your every word does that to you, apparantly).  Having said that, I really like the Chtorr series...so far.  But this series is also one of the main reasons I really, really like to wait until a series is finished before I start reading.  Case in point, Gerrold has NOTHING so important going on in his career the last 20 years to have an excuse for drawing this series out as long as he has.  I truly believe he has no idea where it's going or how to end it (I had this suspicion with Cook's Black Company series for awhile also).  Even if this was true, how can you not think up something in the 5+ years between books???? 8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:29 pm 

Badmike wrote:The guy has made an entire career off the Star Trek "Trouble With Tribbles" episode.

That actually confirms something that I suspected, as "Trouble" is mentioned quite often in his earlier columns.

The guy definitely has an "I'm Chevy Chase and you're not" kind of thing going on. IMO, Harlan Ellison can pull that sort of thing off; David Gerrold cannot.

No offense to any Gerrold fans; he's just not for me.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:17 pm 

Was hoping for more in the Penn State - Notre Dame game, but, ah, well...my guess is they (PSU) will go 8-4 this year.  :(

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:08 pm 

The whole state of Pennsylvania has bad football karma.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:58 am 

Well I'm happy cause they are in the Big Ten. Wisconsin 2-0 (fill up on the meaningless games, then we play the REAL games).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:29 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Apparently the seller thought it was too good a price.  From what Axe says, he has only gotten a portion of the auctioned items.

Well, this turned out to be strange.

I just got the second (and much bigger) box, literally weeks after the first had arrived. The box was wrapped in this sort of orangish-red USPS tape that read "Rewrapped ... Repackaged" over and over again. I guess the box either split open or was in danger of splitting.

And to keep this discussion just barely on a D&D topic, I'll add that I now own more Starlogs than Dragons! I'll be reading David Gerrold columns for the next six months. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:18 pm 

I'm wondering if there are any store owners on these boards or people that have good connections with some as I'd be interested in the Curse of
Gethin Abbey adventure that is being run in the Worldwide Dungeons & Dragons Game Day 2006 Saturday, November 4.

Curse of  Gethin Abbey is for Ravenloft and for 3.5 but I'd still like to get one if possible (have asked if it will be put online and Wizards has said no)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:15 am 

Gocomics.com: Error - 404

Funny Comic Strip

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:32 pm 

Extra funny because of the direct reference to the 3.5 rules.   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 pm 

Plaag wrote:I'm wondering if there are any store owners on these boards or people that have good connections with some as I'd be interested in the Curse of
Gethin Abbey adventure that is being run in the Worldwide Dungeons & Dragons Game Day 2006 Saturday, November 4.

Curse of  Gethin Abbey is for Ravenloft and for 3.5 but I'd still like to get one if possible (have asked if it will be put online and Wizards has said no)

ShaneG.

The week or so after it is played, check Ebay.  Many of the store owners or insiders who get these put them up for auction directly afterwards, most of the time they don't sell for much.  I got a bunch of Game Day modules from past years once in a lot for about $5 each, included the minis also.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:02 pm 

Funny Videos, Funny Clips & Funny Pictures | Break.com

Weird Al Rocks!! :lol:  :lol:

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:39 am 

hey guys

has anyone dealt with the ebayer "augustuslpb" ?

if so, could you let me know. he/she is from the US with a feedback of 1. i get a little wary of ppl like that and they are bidding on a few of my things. i need to know very asap or i will cancel the bids.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:08 am 

He bought a lot of JG stuff from me. Paid right away.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:37 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:He bought a lot of JG stuff from me. Paid right away.

cheers frank, thanks for that

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 75 of 111123 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 109110111