Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 111123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:24 pm 

I think the most disturbing element in Badmike's dream was....Killjoy.

I mean...seriously...the sudden appearance of a Death Jester in one's collecting dream must be a dire portent indeed!   8O

Now, as for Wales...you were obviously once a Roman soldier, garrisoned in Caerleon and once engaged in collecting chess pieces, gladiator trivia or old Egyptian prints of Hounds and Jackals.

Your entire dream strongly recalls The Dream of Macsen Wledig, and leads me to believe that you were once either Artorius Dux Bellorum, or a failed Roman imperial contender...possibly both.

As for the Minotaur's Lair, well, I suspect Xaxaxe is somehow to blame.   :P

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:39 pm 

I've actually had The Game Store Dream, too, but mine is slightly different.

Briefly: I discover a neat new/used game store, and it is filled with very cool stuff from the late 70s/early 80s that I am interested in; it's like a store that knows my personal want-list. Actually that's the whole problem ... it is too filled with my favorite stuff (including never-before-seen items) and my brain begins to shut down. I don't know which way to turn.

Much like BadMike's dream, there's also a time limit. The store is closing and/or I am traveling and I will not be visiting this area again for years.

I'd say I have this dream (nightmare?) about five times per year.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:02 am 

Crocadile Hunter Steve Irwin RIP:

I guess it was bound too happen sooner or later.  Just to many crazy risks and too many near misses. Still pretty sad though, seemed like a nice guy.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:03 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I've actually had The Game Store Dream, too, but mine is slightly different.

Briefly: I discover a neat new/used game store, and it is filled with very cool stuff from the late 70s/early 80s that I am interested in; it's like a store that knows my personal want-list. Actually that's the whole problem ... it is too filled with my favorite stuff (including never-before-seen items) and my brain begins to shut down. I don't know which way to turn.

Much like BadMike's dream, there's also a time limit. The store is closing and/or I am traveling and I will not be visiting this area again for years.

I'd say I have this dream (nightmare?) about five times per year.

X. yours doesnt even make the same grade dude, cos i aint in it - get it sorted man!

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:05 am 

bclarkie wrote:Crocadile Hunter Steve Irwin RIP:

I guess it was bound too happen sooner or later.  Just to many crazy risks and too many near misses. Still pretty sad though, seemed like a nice guy.

yes i just heard that on the news. pretty amazing guy and i loved watching his shows, but pretty high-risk job, so the end-result was gonna happen at some point or another.

damn shame tho. damn poor wifey n kid thats for sure.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:06 am 

A sad loss...though not entirely unpredictable.  I admired Irwin mostly for his very good documentary about WWII in the Pacific, which was narrated  on location.  Irwin visited the actual sites, crawled about in Japanese bunkers, dived on wrecks and such.  Very interesting and a very human perspective on both sides in the war.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:11 pm 

Badmike wrote:
 Last night, I had a dream I was in a used game store in Wales.  

So, the questions abound: Why was I in Wales?  
Is there even a game store in Wales?  

Obviously, deep disturbing imagery abounds in this dream, but I don't have the psychology chops to dig it out.  Was it a simple fantasy or a prelude to some dark demons I hold inside???? :twisted:

Mike B.

How do you know it was Wales?? How many sheep/male voice choirs were seen in the background??? Or was the store keeper called Evans the Storekeep???

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:48 pm 

obiter wrote:
How do you know it was Wales?? How many sheep/male voice choirs were seen in the background??? Or was the store keeper called Evans the Storekeep???

In Wales it is often the sound of anxious sheep in the background I am told.  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:50 pm 

red_bus wrote:
In Wales it is often the sound of anxious sheep in the background I am told.  :wink:

the land of wales, where men are men, and sheep are nervous :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:33 pm 

anyway St Patrick was welsh so who am I to throw stones ...

Having spent my second & third years at college sharing with
(a) a welsh speaking son of a welsh sheep farmer and
(b) going out with a welsh girl who  learnt english at secondary school, and whose father was a winning bard of the gorsedd at the eisteddfod

i apologise to all sheep who have been offended by the suggestion that they would have intimate relations with any welshman.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:20 pm 

I am embarrassed to say I must have missed this entirely..I remember hearing David Gemmell was having heart surgery, apparantly it had a sad ending.  He passed away at the age of 57:

Transworld Publishers: Books, Authors, etc...

The world has lost a top notch fantasy writer whose books are very inspiring to RPG gamers and DMs.  Also he was in the middle of quite an incredible trilogy about Troy, which I doubt now will ever be finished.  Isn't this a reader's worst fear?  Your favorite author dying before finishing a book/trilogy/series? The worst part is we might have had another 10-20 years of great novels from this talented writer.  I don't know how I didn't hear of this until now...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:09 pm 

Badmike wrote:I am embarrassed to say I must have missed this entirely..I remember hearing David Gemmell was having heart surgery, apparantly it had a sad ending.  He passed away at the age of 57:

The world has lost a top notch fantasy writer whose books are very inspiring to RPG gamers and DMs.  Also he was in the middle of quite an incredible trilogy about Troy, which I doubt now will ever be finished.  Isn't this a reader's worst fear?  Your favorite author dying before finishing a book/trilogy/series? The worst part is we might have had another 10-20 years of great novels from this talented writer.  I don't know how I didn't hear of this until now...

Mike B.

wow that truly is a shame! whilst i didnt like a fair bit of his stuff, i REALLY liked Legend, Waylander (especially) and the Jon Shannow novels. They really gave my imaginationa whirl for its money and yes, a damn big loss.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:00 am 

The only Gemmel novel I've read is Morningstar.  I liked it.  I was struck that it was a book by a D&D gamer without much of the baggage that such books often carry.  Sad news.

Mark  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:50 am 

MShipley88 wrote:The only Gemmel novel I've read is Morningstar.  I liked it.  I was struck that it was a book by a D&D gamer without much of the baggage that such books often carry.  Sad news.

Mark  8)

Mark, pick up "Legend" or "Waylander".  Both are "first" books in series, and both very superior to Morningstar.  Morningstar is generally considered a "lesser" effort.  Of course, Gemmel's lesser stuff blows 90% of other fantasy writers out of the water...
 His books are very D&D like in structure...a band of misfits gathers to complete a quest, rescue a maiden, destroy a villain.  Most if not all of the band is the best at what they do, but the world has passed them by.  They face overwhelming odds, yet must complete the task to either prove themselves (the newbie heros) or prove something TO themselves. They are flawed but in this quest have a chance to redeem themselves.  Typically not all of them survive...Gemmel's novels are not guaranteed to have happy endings, which makes them very mature in the genre.  Gemmel is one of the few current fantasy authors to actually write about "heros", that is people who accomplish something that logically cannot be done through great sacrifice to themselves.  His books were recently quoted in no less than Wall Street Journal where a editorial writer bemoaned the lack of heros in both movies and recent books, but pointed to Gemmel's writings as a bright spot (ironically this is where I suddenly found out the death of Gemmel, as the author mentioned it in the article).
 The Drenai saga composes some ten odd books, dealing with a lore rich world that I wish to God someone would convert to D&D....although with the details packed into Gemmel's novels and his love of historical background, it might take years to get it right.  Anyway, this saga contains snapshots of different heroes (mostly Druss and Waylander) who operate at different times...each novel skips many years between them, sometimes decades, creating a unique and interesting perspective...by the last Drenai novel, heroes such as Druss and Waylander are only long ago remembered legends.  
 His historical based fiction is also superb...he had a real love for the ancient world, one series is based on Troy and one on King Arthur.  He has another four book series dealing with a people called the Rigante, very myth and historically influenced.
  I just can't recommend him enough.  I don't think he's for everyone, though.  If you enjoy the tree hugger/lesbian/men are wussies type of "new" fantasy you might not like this, his books are testosterone driven to the max, his men are MEN, and his violence is gripping, well described and gory.  Good stuff!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:09 am 

the times i think back to the days i played D&D as a player, i kinda likened my PCs to a sorta-waylander type - a kinda very reluctant hero, sometimes villain but coulda been this way or that.

waylander was definately my favorite one by a fair way and i quite liked waylander 2 as way in its own little way. Legend for me, was just superb. the last hurrah of a great warrior, who just had to come and save the day, but in reality, he gave it to those around him to do that. a true piece of storytelling if there ever was one.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:46 am 

Badmike wrote:I just can't recommend him enough.  I don't think he's for everyone, though.  If you enjoy the tree hugger/lesbian/men are wussies type of "new" fantasy you might not like this, his books are testosterone driven to the max, his men are MEN, and his violence is gripping, well described and gory.  Good stuff!

:D  :D  :D

Sounds like he is worth a read.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:43 am 

killjoy32 wrote:the times i think back to the days i played D&D as a player, i kinda likened my PCs to a sorta-waylander type - a kinda very reluctant hero, sometimes villain but coulda been this way or that.

waylander was definately my favorite one by a fair way and i quite liked waylander 2 as way in its own little way. Legend for me, was just superb. the last hurrah of a great warrior, who just had to come and save the day, but in reality, he gave it to those around him to do that. a true piece of storytelling if there ever was one.

Al

Al did you ever get to Waylander III?  Can't remember the proper name.  I don't remember much about it except Waylander goes down, taking all the bad guys with him.  Not as good as the first two but like all of Gemmel's stuff, not as good is better than most.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:35 am 

Badmike wrote:I am embarrassed to say I must have missed this entirely..I remember hearing David Gemmell was having heart surgery, apparantly it had a sad ending.  He passed away at the age of 57:

Mike B.

I have been rather slack in reading novels for the last couple of years Im sure I'll pick some of his up in time... I almost had a heart attack though  and thought you meny David Gerrold, I send him an email only last week seeing if he was ever going to finish his Chtorr books! (Chtorr!) as it hadn't been updated for ages.... I've been waiting 20 odd years for the series to be finished...

Brette:)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 74 of 111123 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 109110111