Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 111123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:50 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Actually, it is, being OT and all.

Actually, Scott has made it quite clear that this forum is not the place for politcal &/or religious discussion.  He reiterated that back the last time Ian went off on one of anti-US rants:

FoulFoot wrote:While an Enigma Machine is certainly a non-TSR collectible, it (and the accompanying political discussions) are also way off-topic.  Messages deleted.

Foul

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:21 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Doesn't mater much, tho, the U.S. won't be the dominant world power for much longer.

I didn't think we were suppose to tell anyone the aliens were coming.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:"Iran must not be allowed to develop a nucular weapon."
How thick is GB? Is the education in US schools so bad that even the their President can't speak properly? It's just embarrassing having someone illiterate fronting your country. Most companies wouldn't employ a receptionist that stupid.

Not really raising a political point here....but harking back to an earlier discussion......

It's called an accent.  The President speaks with an accent.

Millions of Americans say "ax" when they mean "ask" and "nucular" when they mean "nuclear."

I find it irritating as well, but it has little relationship to intelligence in America, where accents are not as closely related to social class as they are in other countries.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:27 am 

Mars wrote:
I didn't think we were suppose to tell anyone the aliens were coming.

Too late - we are all aliens here... except you  8O

Didn't you notice something suspicious when the second Acaeum subweb after Judges Guild is entitled "Global Domination and Human Enslavement"   :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:42 am 

red_bus wrote:
Too late - we are all aliens here... except you  8O

Didn't you notice something suspicious when the second Acaeum subweb after Judges Guild is entitled "Global Domination and Human Enslavement"   :wink:

And I just thought GDHE was some Pre-TSR company since they claim something about Area 51 before TSR existed.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:51 am 

MShipley88 wrote:

Not really raising a political point here....but harking back to an earlier discussion......

It's called an accent.  The President speaks with an accent.

Millions of Americans say "ax" when they mean "ask" and "nucular" when they mean "nuclear."

I find it irritating as well, but it has little relationship to intelligence in America, where accents are not as closely related to social class as they are in other countries.

Mark   8)

I was so proud of the fact growing up that I had little to no "Texas" accent....People usually couldn't guess I grew up here by my accent.  
 However, in my old age my tongue has become lazy.  It's not so bad that "Oil" has become "Awl" or "Get" has become "Git", but it's gitting purdy close, pardnuh.

Mike B .

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:58 am 

Badmike wrote:
I was so proud of the fact growing up that I had little to no "Texas" accent....People usually couldn't guess I grew up here by my accent.  
 However, in my old age my tongue has become lazy.  It's not so bad that "Oil" has become "Awl" or "Get" has become "Git", but it's gitting purdy close, pardnuh.

Mike B .

Oh, and you've never seen anything as funny as a member of an unexpected ethnic group speaking with a thick, thick Texas accent.  Two that come to mind are my dentist (Dr. Wang pronounced Wong), who is Chinese and yet sounds like he walked off the set of Lonesome Dove...I can't even understand him most of the time his accent is so thick (and he dresses the part too with boots, hat and big belt buckle).  And many years ago when I worked at a bank an Indian girl (born in India, moved to Texas as a little girl) had the most unbelieveably Texas drawl that people would actually drop their jaws and stare when she spoke if they didn't know her.  I suppose both families were just fully assimilated into Texas culture, it's so big here that it's like living in a different country anyway, and you have to learn the language to communicate properly...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:20 pm 

Mars wrote:But that's how Homer Simpson says it!

:lol:  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Ian, I know that you obviously hate the US, but lets avoid any more political commentary, this is not the place for it. Thanks.

I don't hate the US. I'm gonna be spending 3 weeks in Florida in September. Hmm.... Hurricane season.
I only posted 'cos it's an OT thread, and it's as valid an OT subject as Football. And yes, our PM is no better a leader, although he can use his given language.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:25 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Mike B .

I was the same way, grew up in Georgia and compared to most people down here I thought I spoke pretty accentless.  Then I spent a couple of years after school in living in Nebraska and found out I was a regular southern belle.   :P  :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I don't hate the US. I'm gonna be spending 3 weeks in Florida in September. Hmm.... Hurricane season.
I only posted 'cos it's an OT thread, and it's as valid an OT subject as Football. And yes, our PM is no better a leader, although he can use his given language.

Oh yeah?  Then why does he speak it with such an outrageous accent?

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:40 pm 

I recently heard a guy from New York tell a crowd of Northwesterners that he was having trouble getting used to our accent.  :roll:

(Hint: Bad move...since Northwesterners regard New York as remote from them, rather than the other way around...a byproduct of our orientation toward the Pacific Rim.  New York is strictly bone-in-the-nose barbarism from the NW point of view.  We also get confused when people from Michigan say things like, "back east.")

With some exceptions, we speak exactly the same as people on network television...that is, no accent at all.  (Although the English might differ on that.)  

If we have a regional accent, it is that a few Canadianisms have crept into our speech.  I, for instance, am prone to ending sentences in informal speech with an entirely rhetorical, "aye?"  I picked it up in high school when everyone in my school was deliberately imitating the speech of "Bob and Doug McKenzie" from The Great White North.  For a few years, all of us commonly said phrases like a deeply inflected, "aye hoser!" or "take off!"  (Sounding like more extreme versions of the speech of characters on The Red Green Show.)

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:19 pm 

kooooo loo koo koo, kooo loo koo koo

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:43 am 

Mars wrote:kooooo loo koo koo, kooo loo koo koo

Ah sweet memories aye!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:25 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:And yes, our PM is no better a leader, although he can use his given language.

Oh yeah?  Then why does he speak it with such an outrageous accent?

Mark   8)

Cos' he's a dick. :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:07 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Cos' he's a dick. :lol:

ian, he's not even that. a dick can be useful sometimes....HE is certainly not even that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:20 pm 

[ completely OT ramble ]

I am slobbing in tonight watching telly and the Ipcress File is on BBC4, I had forgotten just what a great film it is - a real proper, fantastic, grown-up spy movie.

IMDB link for those who have missed out on this treat...

The Ipcress File (1965) - IMDb

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

Exactly how many times has Michael Caine saved England?   :lol:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 111123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 109110111