Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 64 of 111123 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:29 pm 

He sold what sounds like a pretty big haul to Aaron at NobleKnight, as mentioned in this thread.

+++++

Edited, in case it's not completely apprarent.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:56 pm 

Yes...the sale of his private collection.  An internet search on his name reveals that he's some sort of rocket scientist.....?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:42 pm 

Quincey was one of the first big-time net sellers and the original proprietor of Titan Games.  He coined the name and commissioned the original logo of a titan hoisting the globe on his back.  He eventually sold his business to Marcus King, and evidently recently sold his personal collection to Aaron at Noble Knight.  The proprietor of Dragon's Trove is Michael Cox.  
I did a lot of business with Quincey (and Michael) back in the day but don't know anything about his being a rocket scientist.  He always seemed like a pretty smart guy to me though...  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:57 pm 

Just out of curiousity ... if Quincey has some affiliation with Dragon's Trove, does anyone know why he didn't sell his collection there?

Also, has anyone picked up any nice items from this collection through Noble Knight?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:07 pm 

Quincey never had any affiliation with Dragon's Trove.  
Dragon's Trove is these days primarily a games distributorship based in New Jersey.  It was started and is still owned by Michael Cox.  
Aaron Leeder's Noble Knight Games is the probably the biggest dealer of vintage games in the world, hence it probably made sense for Quincey to sell the rest of his collection there.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:48 pm 

Ack, typing and doing five other things at once when I wrote that. Must focus ...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:54 pm 

D&D television show DVD collection announced for U.S. release on November 7:

Press release

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:55 pm 

I was just a bit...too...old.  This series must be a childhood memory for lots of you guys, right?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:20 pm 

Been watching it on Toon Disney for the past couple of months..it sure does take me back :) and I will definately be picking up the DVD set.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:17 am 

Plaag wrote:Been watching it on Toon Disney for the past couple of months..it sure does take me back :) and I will definately be picking up the DVD set.

ShaneG.

Wish I had known about Disney showing them and I would have Tivo'ed them.  I downloaded all of the episodes a couple of years ago using peer-to-peer except two of them that I have never been able to find.  They are poor quality so I will definitely be buying the DVD.

My favorite episodes were "The Dragon's Graveyard" where they capture and almost kill Venger and "Dungeon at the Heart of Dawn".  The dumbass cavalier opens the box of balefire (?) and unleashes Venger's master that decides to destroy the world.  When I first saw it I had a thought that it was supposed to be Tharizdun.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:26 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Wish I had known about Disney showing them and I would have Tivo'ed them.  I downloaded all of the episodes a couple of years ago using peer-to-peer except two of them that I have never been able to find.  They are poor quality so I will definitely be buying the DVD.

My favorite episodes were "The Dragon's Graveyard" where they capture and almost kill Venger and "Dungeon at the Heart of Dawn".  The dumbass cavalier opens the box of balefire (?) and unleashes Venger's master that decides to destroy the world.  When I first saw it I had a thought that it was supposed to be Tharizdun.

I know this has been mentioned before, but does anyone remember the Forgotten Realms one-shot promotional comic that includes the D&D cartoon guys all grown up?  It's a pretty funny in-joke. Elminster stops in a inn in Shadowdale for a drink, and a suspiciously familiar grown up party of adventurers forces their mage named Presto to talk to Elminster, trying to take him on as an apprentice.  Elminster takes Presto on a tour of the Realms, which is an excuse to promo all the new FR items coming out that year.  It's a nice tip of the hat, I am going by memory but I think Jeff Grubb wrote it.  I do remember the artwork was atrocious.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:57 am 

That was The Grand Tour comic written by Jeff Grubb and Todd Fox was the artist (never heard of him).  Yes very bad art.

Speaking of which, now that I have just dug it out, ... the ad inside says that there were 5 comics planned for this time (1996) but I only recall 4 of them.  I have:

Forgotten Realms: The Grand Tour
Birthright: The Serpent's Eye
Dragonlance: Fifth Age
AD&D: Labyrinth of Madness

but there was suppose to be a Planescape one.  Anyone know if this exists?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:24 pm 

eBay NOTE: The seller has lowered the Reserve Price!

"PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) -- Kidnappers have demanded $100,000 for the release of two U.S. missionaries seized on their way to church in Haiti's capital, a U.N. official said Thursday. The captors initially sought $500,000 but lowered the ransom demand..."

But I don't think they take PayPal.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:07 pm 

Waaay off topic, for Dallasites only.

Hypothetically, let's say that I am a member of D&D fansite called, uh,  FlagonsRoot.  I have befriended a down-on-his-luck fellow who may move to Dallas.  I think he expects more from me (yardwork jobs, gaming time, a place to crash) than I can offer him.  I have a wife and kids, so I can't do much for him.

The fellow is a semi-regular FlagonsRooter, and you would recognize his unique posting style.  Frank M. and Gary G. would be familiar with his posts.   :D

I'm an ex-Seattlite.  I know squat about Dallas' policy on the homeless.  What social services exist in Metro Dallas?

PM me or post here as appropriate.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:59 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Waaay off topic, for Dallasites only.

Hypothetically, let's say that I am a member of D&D fansite called, uh,  FlagonsRoot.  I have befriended a down-on-his-luck fellow who may move to Dallas.  I think he expects more from me (yardwork jobs, gaming time, a place to crash) than I can offer him.  I have a wife and kids, so I can't do much for him.

The fellow is a semi-regular FlagonsRooter, and you would recognize his unique posting style.  Frank M. and Gary G. would be familiar with his posts.   :D

I'm an ex-Seattlite.  I know squat about Dallas' policy on the homeless.  What social services exist in Metro Dallas?

PM me or post here as appropriate.

Doesn't this guy realize how freaking HOT it is here?

Once they get the giant homeless shelter finaly built downtown it will be nice, but right now I don't think the social services cover that much. Now, Austin is a different story, they have a huge and happy homeless population that basically live right downtown. Austin has to be Mecca for homeless in Texas, gigantic liberal population and social services out the wazoo.  People beg for money anywhere they wish...plus you have the lake and the mountains to the west if you want to go on vacation!

I would hate to rely on the City of Dallas for anything, much less social services.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:43 am 

Badmike wrote:Now, Austin is a different story, they have a huge and happy homeless population that basically live right downtown. Austin has to be Mecca for homeless in Texas, gigantic liberal population and social services out the wazoo.  People beg for money anywhere they wish...plus you have the lake and the mountains to the west if you want to go on vacation!

After reading me the riot act, my wife said the same thing --- Austin instead of Dallas.  I will try and steer the guy there instead of here.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:42 pm 

Is there any interest in preserving any of the early TSR marketing material?
As clearly as I recall, this was the first full page magazine advertisement that I ever encountered. It appeared in the first issue of the Asimov's SF Adventure Magazine (Fall 1978).

403 Forbidden

I just discovered it in my collection of books and magazines when getting some items ready for eBay and thought it might be of interest to some.

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:10 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:After reading me the riot act ...

As long as we're in the Off-Topic thread ... where does this expression come from? Is it an actual law somewhere ... and does it actually have to be read aloud? :)

+++++

Addendum: It's always good to check the Wiki first. :)

(Interesting entry, actually ...)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 64 of 111123 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 109110111