Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:43 am 

Why buy into that like it is true anyway? I love sports.  Your only a nerd when you fumble :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:37 pm 

An additional thought....

The idea that gamers are anti-social derives from a similar non-gamer psychological need.  Gaming is uber-social.  It is, however, elitist in its own way.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:59 pm 

Now this is what we in London call a proper sporting tournament...

BBC News | In pictures | The Chap Olympics | Opening ceremony

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:04 pm 

The guy re-enacting the head butt has his head down and is gonna hurt his neck if he does that again.   8O

American football quaterback Gus Ferrote got hurt banging his head like that....albeit, it was against a concrete wall.   :x

Mark

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:22 pm 

hey folks

for anyone here who may have been wondering what the conclusion of the italian match fixing scandal was (football - us/ soccer - stateside), go check here:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid ... an+stay+up

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:30 pm 

Juventus almost got bounced to Serie C... instead getting stripped of their last two titles, fined £50,000, and given a hefty 30-point deduction.

But Milan's VP Galliani has been banned for 12 months, and Berlusconi is clear???

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:30 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Juventus almost got bounced to Serie C... instead getting stripped of their last two titles, fined £50,000, and given a hefty 30-point deduction.

But Milan's VP Galliani has been banned for 12 months, and Berlusconi is clear???

yeah but being docked 30 points man! thats like 10 wins they have to get more than everyone else just to be level with the leader, which just aint gonna happen, so they are down there for 1 season at least - and add to that, that all the teams that are down in this, they will lose their stars - there is no way they will stay.

tough times but they brought it on themselves.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:35 pm 

Would it be kind of the equivalent of an American baseball team being sent down to the minor leagues?

Are soccer stars on contract only if their team stays in the top division?  Does the reduction in grade mean that all the stars can automatically leave?

I wonder if NFL players would still be bound by their contracts if the team were bounced to the Canadian Football League?

Mark  8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:50 pm 

I don't have a good sense of what this means either.  With the team being demoted to a lower level, is there a salary cap that would force star players off the team or would the teams lose advertising contracts or fan attendence because they are not against top competition and would therefore not be able to pay the top salaries?

It seems to me that if you are in the top league and you get demoted and are allowed to keep the same team you would dominate the lower league.  Whether it is an NFL team going to the CFL or an NHL team going to Europe(?).  I don't even know what one level down in the NHL or NBA would be.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:39 pm 

Mars wrote:I don't have a good sense of what this means either.

Probably because there's no North American equivalent to the European concept of demotion and promotion. We've always drawn sharp lines between our "major" leagues — NFL, NBA, NHL, Major League Baseball, etc. — and all other leagues. We don't ever mix the two concepts; European leagues have been doing it for many, many years.

Mars wrote:With the team being demoted to a lower level, is there a salary cap that would force star players off the team or would the teams lose advertising contracts or fan attendence because they are not against top competition and would therefore not be able to pay the top salaries?

A salary cap is another North American concept; European teams are generally free to buy and sell players as their boards of directors see fit.

For the demoted teams, attendance will surely be down at home games (for obvious reasons), but should be way up for away games — fans in Tiny Little Village, Italy, for example, will be falling all over themselves for a chance to see Juventus play at their local stadium.

MShipley88 wrote:Would it be kind of the equivalent of an American baseball team being sent down to the minor leagues?

The baseball example doesn't really work. Our minor-league system is all about player development (I'm not even sure why they keep score), while the lower levels of European soccer leagues are competitive enterprises where winning is still much better than losing. No one in the history of baseball has ever honestly cared about who actually won a minor-league game — it's all about getting the players ready for the majors.

Mars wrote:I don't even know what one level down in the NHL or NBA would be.

There's really no such thing, since demotion does not exist for either league. But the top minor leagues are generally considered to be the American Hockey League and East Coast Hockey League for hockey, and the Continental Basketball Association for hoops.

And, no, I never thought I'd see a day where the East Coast Hockey League was mentioned on a D&D collecting site. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:58 pm 

The minor leagues are also a place to test and see if older players can get back into the majors.  I remember a number of years ago now, Daryl Strawberry, when he was getting off the coke, was sent down to the minors.  He ended up playing in the Northern League which came up to my home town of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada to play our team the Whisky Jacks - talk about demotion.

I think he ended up hitting at least one home run and sometime later that season or next Daryl went back to the Yankees and ended up winning a championship.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:19 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:yeah but being docked 30 points man! thats like 10 wins they have to get more than everyone else just to be level with the leader, which just aint gonna happen

I thought that was interesting, too. It's like a disguised two-year penalty: barring something just short of an honest-to-God miracle, the 30-point deficit ensures that they will be in Serie B through 2008.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:37 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I thought that was interesting, too. It's like a disguised two-year penalty: barring something just short of an honest-to-God miracle, the 30-point deficit ensures that they will be in Serie B through 2008.

well that was the worst one of course, the other teams were not hit as bad as that. milan, who got off the lightest, stay in Seria A, but have a massive penalty so they are gonna struggle anyway and cant play in the champions league (which they would have). the teams who went down to Serie B, most of the stars will leave imo, making it even harder for them.

Most of the big players nowadays have clauses in their contracts, sorta like "if this happens, then i can leave" etc. one will be "if the club gets relegated" - most of em have that now.

and yeah, i dont think the USA has the same concept there, but i guess for ease of reasoning, it would be like a major league baseball team being foreced to play in the minors for a period of time. as you dont have a promotion and relegation between the two, its not quite the same thing.

i think the whole thing blows really and i think they got off lightly. i think Juve should have been put in Serie C and the rest in Serie B, but hey there you go.

i know if that happened in this country, the team would not get off that lightly thats for sure. we even have more divisions, so would be very interesting indeedy!

i think also, that there had to be particular players involved, such as Juve's goalkeeper (who was italy's GK btw)....he should have been banned imo.

but hey what do i know :)

*back to your regular broadcast*

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:13 pm 

Wasn't there recently some discusstion about this individual?:

Quincy Koziol

I know he was a game seller and is now some kind of rocket scientist.

What was the recent news about him.?

Mark   8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:29 pm 

He sold what sounds like a pretty big haul to Aaron at NobleKnight, as mentioned in this thread.

+++++

Edited, in case it's not completely apprarent.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:56 pm 

Yes...the sale of his private collection.  An internet search on his name reveals that he's some sort of rocket scientist.....?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:42 pm 

Quincey was one of the first big-time net sellers and the original proprietor of Titan Games.  He coined the name and commissioned the original logo of a titan hoisting the globe on his back.  He eventually sold his business to Marcus King, and evidently recently sold his personal collection to Aaron at Noble Knight.  The proprietor of Dragon's Trove is Michael Cox.  
I did a lot of business with Quincey (and Michael) back in the day but don't know anything about his being a rocket scientist.  He always seemed like a pretty smart guy to me though...  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:57 pm 

Just out of curiousity ... if Quincey has some affiliation with Dragon's Trove, does anyone know why he didn't sell his collection there?

Also, has anyone picked up any nice items from this collection through Noble Knight?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111