Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 62 of 111123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:29 pm 

Something to be said for a Steelers return to the Super Bowl....Cowher seems to be the best overall coach in the NFL.

Look for "Big Ben" to have a slump this year...he wasn't that good before.

I hope for Cowboys/Steelers in the Super Bowl, with all the bad karma the Steelers will have against them.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:46 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Something to be said for a Steelers return to the Super Bowl....Cowher seems to be the best overall coach in the NFL.

Look for "Big Ben" to have a slump this year...he wasn't that good before.

I hope for Cowboys/Steelers in the Super Bowl, with all the bad karma the Steelers will have against them.

Mark   8)

Roethlisberger had a 98.3 QB rating and 34 TD. He has won (or been the winning QB) for 28 games of the 33 he has started. He WAS that good. And still is. And he will be the starting QB come opening day.

And what 'bad karma'?? I would L-O-V-E to see a Cowboys / Steelers SB. I would give a paycheck to see Troy Polamalu pop Terrell Owens in his mouth. Have Joey Porter snap Drew Bledsoe like an old, brittle stick.

(To reaffirm an earlier statement: Love the Steelers, hate the Cowboys. And Mark, you have always seemed like a stand-up guy, so this is meant with all the best intentions. Please don't take it as a flame or troll. Just a lively discussion.) :)

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:34 pm 

Packers shall win the Superbowl!! :D Course all I want is Favre to beat Marino in some of the records (probably need another year after this one for some though)

Marlith wrote:Since this is a 3E product I will post it in the off topic thread. If any has a chance to pick up a copy of the Necromancers Game Product Bard's Gate I would hughly reccomend it. I have not had a chance to read it in full but what I have had a chance to read, along with the download items from their site, puts me in mind of the CSIO. Not saying it is as good but it is the best new era city product I have picked up.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:00 pm 

Plaag wrote:Packers shall win the Superbowl!! :D Course all I want is Favre to beat Marino in some of the records (probably need another year after this one for some though)

ShaneG.

I like Brett but I think it might be time to call it quits.

As to the thanks was that one of your projects?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:01 pm 

Plaag wrote:Packers shall win the Superbowl!! :D Course all I want is Favre to beat Marino in some of the records (probably need another year after this one for some though)

ShaneG.

I hope the Pack with never be back! Favre is the man, though.

Go Lions...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:14 pm 

Marlith wrote:I like Brett but I think it might be time to call it quits.

Eh, shall see how he does this year with a lot of new elements - and not like the Central division is tough :wink:

Marlith wrote:As to the thanks was that one of your projects?

Yep, check out the authors :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:14 pm 

well i really will always wish the Jets get themselves sorted....die hard fan.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:33 pm 

No thin skin here.  Cowboys fans know what it is like to fall from the heights.  Just a bit of friendly football rivalry.

Fun to jab at Roethlisberger...I can't help but be right, since any result less than another Super Bowl victory will be a failure...right?  The only way I can be wrong is if the Steelers beat their karma and win.   :wink:

The Steelers have bad karma coming off a tarnished Super Bowl.  Granted, aside from the officials, Seattle's Jeremy Stevvens also has some things to lose sleep over (may he dream of himself blowing the big game over and over for all eternity).  However, Seattle should have won even with his drops and the game should not even have been particularly close...would not have been, except....   :x

I would like the Steelers fans to experience another frustrating Super Bowl like their last showdown with the Cowboys....where they out-coached and out-fought a more talented team, only to lose on fluke plays.

That one had to have hurt...(which I gleefully relished)...but Cowboys fans also know what that particular wound feels like.   :D

This coming season should also be interesting for a reluctant Seahawks fan.  Can the Seahawks prove that they were for real?  A lot depends upon Sean Alexander and his continued health and commitment, as well as the re-constitution of the league's best offensive line.  The Seahawks have unfinished business.   :evil:

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:37 pm 

Also...I must say that as a lifelong Cowboys fan it fills me with chagrin to see TO in a Cowboys uniform.

He was a perfect philadelfia eagle, and I truly enjoyed watching him the past two seasons.  May they draft two more just like him!

I don't predict anything big from TO in Dallas...there is no supporting cast at the moment.  Maybe the Cowboys will emerge.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:25 am 

MShipley88 wrote:No thin skin here.  Cowboys fans know what it is like to fall from the heights.  Just a bit of friendly football rivalry.
Good to hear it. :)

MShipley88 wrote:I would like the Steelers fans to experience another frustrating Super Bowl like their last showdown with the Cowboys....where they out-coached and out-fought a more talented team, only to lose on fluke plays.
Mark   8)

Well, thanks for THAT. I thought that '95 Super Bowl had been wiped from my memory. I'll have nightmares tonight. Larry Brown. What a joke... Worst Super Bowl MVP EVER.

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:20 am 

The Vikings are going to have the new defense this year.  It's stacked.  Favre should have retired, I hope he doesn't make a fool of himself.  Anyone remember Marino's last game (6 int's)?  Seattle has developed a couple of serious problems, still good though.  Eagles have some new holes too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:43 pm 

khartsfield wrote:
Well, thanks for THAT. I thought that '95 Super Bowl had been wiped from my memory. I'll have nightmares tonight. Larry Brown. What a joke... Worst Super Bowl MVP EVER.

The thing about those Larry Brown interceptions.....

Pittsburgh's quarterback (I forget his name) was already playing way over his head.  The whole team was.

The interceptions were just the end result of having to stretch things too far and try too hard against a better team.

The game was memorable because Bill Cowher was...almost...heroically...able...to lift his team to the victory by pure inspiration and brain power.  Which, of course, made defeat all that much more painful.   :D

Mark   8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:30 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Pittsburgh's quarterback (I forget his name)
Mark   8)

Neil O'Donnell... Neil O'Donnel...

The thing about the second, most costly interception was this. It was a timing pattern. Andre Hastings, the wide-out, was supposed to do a sideline (turn OUTSIDE) pattern, but he cut INSIDE. Larry Brown was left standing there like a ghost. O'Donnel threw the ball to Hastings outside just prior to him turning, anticipating a correct move. No one was there. Except Brown. The ball actually surprised him.

I have a headache now... Lets talk about something else... :x

:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:58 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
The thing about those Larry Brown interceptions.....

Pittsburgh's quarterback (I forget his name) was already playing way over his head.  The whole team was.

The interceptions were just the end result of having to stretch things too far and try too hard against a better team.

The game was memorable because Bill Cowher was...almost...heroically...able...to lift his team to the victory by pure inspiration and brain power.  Which, of course, made defeat all that much more painful.   :D

Mark   8)

Neil ODonnell was the hero...errr, goat.  I think too much emphasis is put on how ODonnell lost the game and the Cowboys didn't win.  Everyone forgets how efficient the Cowboys offense and defense was, despite the Steelers outgaining them in yards, as they were able to come up with the exact defensive stop or play when needed, and their offense capitalized when deep in Steelers territory (I think they scored every red zone trip they made that game).
         There were two other plays in that game just as costly (IMO) to the Steelers as the INTs.  In the 3rd quarter down 10 pts the Steelers had a 2nd and two from their own 47 yd line. They gave the ball to Bam Morris on three straight plays and he didn't make the first down.  Terrible play calling on Cowher's part (who goes for it with 4th and two from your own 47 when you are DOWN 10 pts???)  when they could have punted and maybe pinned the ball down way back in Cowboys territory.  Then in the 4th quarter down two TDs the Steelers march all the way downfield from their 20 to the Cowboys 20.  On a crucial 3rd down play Tony Tolbert sacked Odonnell, and they had to settle for a FG.  Who knows how the momentum might have shifted had they got the first down or TD, as the next series was the famous onside kick then subsequent TD against the Cowboys cutting the lead to only 3 pts.  If they had gotten the 3rd down conversion and perhaps scored a TD they would have been UP 1 pt and who knows how the game shakes down then.
  Plus you have to remember, if the Steelers defense had STOPPED the Cowboys cold after both the Brown INTs, then we wouldn't even be talking about them. The fact that the Steelers defense allowed the Boys to score in the series after each pick shows how inexperience and rattled they were being unable to come up with what each time would have been a crucial stop.  I remember watching the game and KNOWING the Cowboys were going to score after both Brown INTS because the Steelers defense seemed confused and unprepared having to suddenly come onto the field afterwards, allowing the Cowboys two easy TDs as a result.
        That game the Cowboys offense was at their most efficient, they took advantage of every scoring opportunity or turnover (they scored in the series after each of the INTs) and their defense seemed to come up with a INT, sack or stop on 3rd down just when it was needed.  There weren't any gaudy numbers that game from the Boys but they were playing the machinelike, business like ball that we have unfortunately seen little of since the Triplets retired.
  BTW yes I have watched this game over 100 times...LOL...the tape is about wore out.  The only other game I've watched more is the 1992 NFC championship game against the 49s which IMO was the coming of age game for the 90's Cowboys (they won their first SB in the game after, and had to beat one of the best teams in football in the NFC championship game to get there).  There are just so many great moments in that game, plus the fact that no one was picking the Cowboys to win against the superior 49ers.
   Also would love to have copies of the 1995 NFC championship game (vs the Packers) and the Giants game at the end of the 1993 season where Emmitt Smith rushes for 168 yds with a separated shoulder and the Boys knock the Giants out of the playoffs.  Anyone know any good online bootleg recording services?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:25 pm 

Mike,
You might want to check MoviesDirectPro and Azureus.  There might be some vids for download there.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 pm 

Ah...the 90's Cowboys...how sweet.  A very good era.  Very few teams have ever had the concentration of talent.  I would even put them up against the 70's Steelers.  

The thing is, after years of hatred, I have even come to like the Steelers.  Cowher is worth cheering for, if nothing else.  That's part of the reason I felt bad about how the Super Bowl played out...badly tainted.

At least the Steelers are noble villans...like the Redskins.  Not at all like the lowly eagles.  (Did I mention they have a jail and courtroom in their stadium?)  How can two cities in Pennsylvania...Pittsburgh and philadelfia...be so different?

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:40 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Ah...the 90's Cowboys...how sweet.  A very good era.  Very few teams have ever had the concentration of talent.  I would even put them up against the 70's Steelers.  

The thing is, after years of hatred, I have even come to like the Steelers.  Cowher is worth cheering for, if nothing else.  That's part of the reason I felt bad about how the Super Bowl played out...badly tainted.

At least the Steelers are noble villans...like the Redskins.  Not at all like the lowly eagles.  (Did I mention they have a jail and courtroom in their stadium?)  How can two cities in Pennsylvania...Pittsburgh and philadelfia...be so different?

Mark   8)

Simple.  The Steelers have fans that know what it is to be winner, the Eagles have fans (like their club) that are losers and that's all they know.  They've never won anything in the superbowl era.  And they couldn't handle it if they did.  I will guarantee you if they ever somehow lucked into a superbowl win, that entire town would burn down.  Not to mention the hundreds of deaths that night due to drunken driving, fights, lighting themselves on fire, jumping off buildings, etc.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:44 pm 

I'm surprised at how many of you are avid sports fans...aren't roleplayers supposed to be geeks?   Go... uh...Giants!  (Unless they're playing the Drow.)  :lol:

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 62 of 111123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 109110111