Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 61 of 111123 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:54 pm 

My thoughts on the World Cup (not that anyone really cares one way or the other, but what the heck...)

a) Diving is so rampant, that it took away from my enjoyment a lot of times. Diving seems a strategy of the game.

b) I was disappointed by Zidane's head-butt. It came at the worst time, and who knows what would've happened had he stayed in. I was routing for France.

c) There were some *amazing* goals! Rodriguez of Argentina's amazing shot in overtime against Mexico, and Beckham crossing to Crouch for a perfect header vs. T&T were the two that stuck out for me.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:28 pm 

Yes - there was some fantastic football!  There is so much at stake that you do see quite  lot of diving (and he occasional handball  :) )

You do also see some lunatic behaviour too (like Rooney's shove and Zidane's butt).  The initial reckoning was that an insult about his mother struck home because she is ill.  But then there are other theories...

BBC SPORT | Football | World Cup 2006 | I'm sorry but no regrets - Zidane

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:50 pm 

red_bus wrote:Yes - there was some fantastic football!  There is so much at stake that you do see quite  lot of diving (and he occasional handball  :) )

You do also see some lunatic behaviour too (like Rooney's shove and Zidane's butt).  The initial reckoning was that an insult about his mother struck home because she is ill.  But then there are other theories...

Speaking of the Zidane headbutt...this is an entertaining little game I found:  Gaming Videos | Break.com

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:07 pm 

red_bus wrote:Yes - there was some fantastic football!  There is so much at stake that you do see quite  lot of diving (and he occasional handball  :) )

Two Thoughts:

1)  Why a head butt in the chest....why not to his face?

2)  The BBC ought to know the difference between "retrospective" and "retroactive."

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:58 pm 

You gotta love Slate ... here, they delve into the mechanics of head-butting. Their verdict: Zidane used perfect form. :)

Head-butt theory

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:35 pm 

I would believe Zidane's story more if he had gone for the face.  Going for the chest is a chancey blow and is likely to get you an elbow in the nose or eye.

As it is, it looks like he's trying to be sneaky...although all I have seen is the photograph.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:03 am 

Zidane has attacked the Italian seemingly based on remarks made about his mother. Now - making such comments is, of course, unacceptable but we all know that such 'gamesmanship' takes place in sports at all levels.
BUT - for £100K a week (don't quote me - depends which paper you read) you really should have better self control - let's face it most police officers in this country get substantially less than half that a year and have to face worse abuse on a daily basis without losing their cool  - we all know who's job we'd rather have.
And to do this whilst wearing his nations shirt in the most important game while the world watches - it beggars belief!!
ZZ - let himself down and let his country down - now all we need is someone to wipe the smug grin of his face, the arrogant pratt !!(oops - that last bit just slipped in :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:03 am 

Since this is a 3E product I will post it in the off topic thread. If any has a chance to pick up a copy of the Necromancers Game Product Bard's Gate I would hughly reccomend it. I have not had a chance to read it in full but what I have had a chance to read, along with the download items from their site, puts me in mind of the CSIO. Not saying it is as good but it is the best new era city product I have picked up.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:03 am 

gyg wrote:Zidane has attacked the Italian seemingly based on remarks made about his mother. Now - making such comments is, of course, unacceptable but we all know that such 'gamesmanship' takes place in sports at all levels.
BUT - for £100K a week (don't quote me - depends which paper you read) you really should have better self control - let's face it most police officers in this country get substantially less than half that a year and have to face worse abuse on a daily basis without losing their cool  - we all know who's job we'd rather have.
And to do this whilst wearing his nations shirt in the most important game while the world watches - it beggars belief!!
ZZ - let himself down and let his country down - now all we need is someone to wipe the smug grin of his face, the arrogant pratt !!(oops - that last bit just slipped in :lol: )

I would love to see Zidane give Terrell Owens a crack out on the practice field and wipe HIS smug grin off his face...pre season hasn't even started and I'm already on T.O. overload.  The Dallas Morning News sports page runs an article on him every single freaking day. Emmitt Smith didn't get this much coverage when he was about to break the rushing record. This Dallas Cowboys season might just be intolerable.
  Now, mind you, the Cowboys go to the superbowl and I'm buying one of his jerseys and naming my next pet dog T.O. ....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:09 am 

Badmike wrote:
    I would love to see Zidane give Terrell Owens a crack out on the practice field and wipe HIS smug grin off his face...pre season hasn't even started and I'm already on T.O. overload.  The Dallas Morning News sports page runs an article on him every single freaking day. Emmitt Smith didn't get this much coverage when he was about to break the rushing record. This Dallas Cowboys season might just be intolerable.
  Now, mind you, the Cowboys go to the superbowl and I'm buying one of his jerseys and naming my next pet dog T.O. ....

Mike B.

Hey Mike,
How come the Cowboys seem to get every player I hate?  If I was a billionaire I would have payed money to take a crack at Deion in a scrimmage.  Now the Cowboys have T.O. and it looks like I will have to move my dream money. :)   T.O. should help make that strong team a little scarier.  I'm glad the Raiders don't know how to use Moss yet.  T.O is good and may not be worth the grief he can give but Moss is worth any grief.   You just gotta have a bionic arm back there.  Well, a little under 60 days isn't it?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:29 am 

Cimmerian wrote:I would have payed money to take a crack at Deion in a scrimmage.

You would have been the first person in NFL history to actually make contact with him, then.

He was a great cover-man (and spectacular kick-returner), but managed to avoid actually tackling anyone year after year, even accidentally. I've never seen a defender go so far out of his way to avoid contact ... it was uncanny.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:28 am 

Part of the resentment up here in Wisconsin is that the Cowboys arrogantly nicknamed themselves "America's Team". And of course many of the past & present Cowboys have arrest records...

The Green Bay Packers are still the only NFL club owned by the locals and guaranteed to stay in place. All other teams are corporately mobile and free to move to a different city or state to get better financial support.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:42 am 

ExTSR wrote:Part of the resentment up here in Wisconsin is that the Cowboys arrogantly nicknamed themselves "America's Team". And of course many of the past & present Cowboys have arrest records...

The Green Bay Packers are still the only NFL club owned by the locals and guaranteed to stay in place. All other teams are corporately mobile and free to move to a different city or state to get better financial support.

so being an outsider, who is going to the superbowl next season then?

i am still hopeful of the Jets, but for a long time now, they've been about as useful as a chocolate radiator  :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:12 am 

Ahhh... a topic I can appear to be knowledgeable in... football. :)

1. I hate the Cowboys, but they didn't call themselves 'Americas Team'. A reporter from Milwaukee, ironically, named them that back in the 70's due to the fact that they always had fans, even at away games. Note, I HATE the Cowboys. Just want to make that clear. Hate 'em.

2. You can eat a chocolate radiotor, so it has some usefulness. Not the same can be said about the Jets...

3. Last year, I predicted a Steelers / Panthers Superbowl, and missed it by one game. This year? I predict a Chiefs / Panthers Superbowl. Watch out for the Cardinals in the NFC and the Dolphins in the AFC to be sleeper teams.

4. I hate the Cowboys.

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:28 am 

khartsfield wrote:A reporter from Milwaukee, ironically, named them that back in the 70's

Milwaukee is a suburb of Chicago, and most of us deny that it's in Wisconsin at all; somebody drew the map wrong.

who is going to the superbowl next season then

Not the Pack, with the old guy at the helm. :/

Probably the Little Rock Moonshiners vs the Fargo Uf-Dahs.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:41 am 

The Steelers will most certainly be there.  As for the NFC, difficult to say, but maybe the Eagles.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:08 pm 

bombadil wrote:The Steelers will most certainly be there.  As for the NFC, difficult to say, but maybe the Eagles.

Provided Big Ben can play. Has that been confirmed?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:26 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Part of the resentment up here in Wisconsin is that the Cowboys arrogantly nicknamed themselves "America's Team". And of course many of the past & present Cowboys have arrest records...

Which is one reason why Cowboys fans love to see them kick the crap out of the Packers...who seem to be headed back into another three-decade slump.   :twisted:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 61 of 111123 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 109110111