Old Random Thoughts Thread or OT Chit Chat Thread :)
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 60 of 111123 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
a very deserved france. portugal are cheating little feckers and didnt deserve to grace the final with their presence.

the final should be a representation of the world two best teams. portugal are ok at best. if there was a rule where a team could be cited for cheating, they would have been banned out of competition months ago.

my one final say on them is that Christian Ronaldo has a VERY interesting season ahead at Manchester United, thats for sure. if he isnt the most hated player in english football in the season to come, i will be amazed.

he is gonna be scrutinised now like nothing youve ever seen.

Al

It is funny that the fans would blame Christian Ronaldo for the loss.  Wasn't it England that lost the game.  Maybe the fans should deal with the act they couldn't win against Portugal and not blame a guy playing for his county.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:26 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
It is funny that the fans would blame Christian Ronaldo for the loss.  Wasn't it England that lost the game.  Maybe the fans should deal with the act they couldn't win against Portugal and not blame a guy playing for his county.

I have to say that I am not a big fan of players coming to a country and playing a sport where they make huge salaries and then when an international competition starts they go play for their home country. We get this with the NBA players (not a basketball fan anyway) during the Olympics. If you are making a living in a country the least you should do is play for that team during international events. Again just my opinion....

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:21 am 

Blackmoor wrote:

jeff, i hear what youre saying chummer. BUT over there, i dont know how fans of whatever sport take to sportsmen/women who cheat?

in soccer, we currently have a problem where say...a player will get tapped on the shoulder, and when i say tap, i mean like the tip of your finger lightly tap...and they will go down like they have just been hit like a car, do a triple somersault and then act like both their legs are broken. now the refs are feckin thick that these players get away with it.

in a crucial game, where players do this for clear advantage and actually SAY IN THE PRESS before the game that they are going to do all they can to get player X sent off, what would you think?

its very un-sportsmanly and it ruins the game. THAT is why he is blamed.

you also clearly didnt see the france v portugal game last night, where he tried this on no less than 5-6 occasions through the match, three times inside the penalty box. i mean they were that blatant is was almost laughable.

THAT is why he gets the name that he has....and it isnt just the england fans because he did it to us either....

anyway *calms back down* - back to work for me.

sooner you have a video referee watching the game for these things, the better. how stupid they will look each time one of them is cited for what they do. sooner it happens, the sport will be much better for it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:52 am 

Marlith wrote:I have to say that I am not a big fan of players...
...playing a sport where they make huge salaries

I agree 100%.  Their major talent is kicking/throwing/hitting a ball, and they make salaries several magnitude more than I do.  Heck, they even make more than the armed forces, and those guys get shot at.  :roll:

When is this thing gonna be over, so I get get some sleep?  Both "little Portugal" and "little Italy" are disturbingly nearby, and apparently the soccer fans believe an appropriate use of a car horn is to alert the entire city that their team has scored a goal.  :evil:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:00 am 

deim - the last games are at the weekend - the final and the playoff for 3rd place. then you get 4 years peace before the next one :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:39 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
portugal are cheating little feckers and didnt deserve to grace the final with their presence.

the final should be a representation of the world two best teams. portugal are ok at best. if there was a rule where a team could be cited for cheating, they would have been banned out of competition months ago.

my one final say on them is that Christian Ronaldo has a VERY interesting season ahead at Manchester United, thats for sure. if he isnt the most hated player in english football in the season to come, i will be amazed.

Al

Right !

France didn't complete their best game, but Portugal meritted to lose because of their simulation, cheating...

It's a pity how a talentuous player like Christano Ronaldo react with a team-mate (I don't know if many American know that he belongs to the same team as Rooney).
His blinck :wink: just after the red card is absolutely wonderful in terms of cinematography and cynism. What a picture! No doubt he will be absolutely hated!
:evil:

Now let's cross fingers... to have a beautiful final... and beautiful winners!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:33 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
a very deserved france. portugal are cheating little feckers and didnt deserve to grace the final with their presence.

Al

How is it possible to cheat at soccer?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:39 pm 

Diving would be the most obvious example.

There's also a thousand little things you could do throughout the course of a game — set the ball down for a free kick a yard closer to the goal, tug on an opponent's jersey during a corner kick, etc.

Soccer desperately needs at least one more on-field referee. The field is too big, and the players are too fast, for one man to handle.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:00 pm 

Al - will the Portugese pratt really be with Man U again this season?!

Lets face it if you or I behaved like this we would go into the changing rooms (locker rooms to our American buddies) after the game and get the kicking of our lives! (probably from our own team mates as well as the opposition!)

Playing for your country is all about pride and passion - how can a player call himself a man when he behaves like this in front of the rest of the world - such behaviour should get you ostracised from right thinking society - Unfortunately there's so much money in professional sport now that its becoming almost the norm - Sad. (BTW this 'cheating' behaviour was certainly not limited to this one player, it was rife throughout the tournament. As an example for the final - Thierry Henry stand up and take your adulation - or rather fall over if you just get looked at the wrong way you cheating b**@*@@*!!

(Rant over - thanks for listening)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:12 am 

well it seems that capello over at real madrid has his eyes on him doesnt it?

well i for one hope he goes there. i hate cheating in any form and its very bad for the game.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:16 am 

I don't think CR will be looking forward to starting pre-season training in Manchester.  Rooney has apparently threatened to 'split him in two', and Neville and Ferdinand didn't look too pleased with his antics either.

It's not just about the English hating him.  Did you hear the reception from the crowd every time he touched the ball in the semi-final?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:36 am 

well this is it. he is getting a name for himself now and he is so blatantly trying to cheat it just looks really funny.

i simply cant believe that the ref's dont see what he is doing! dont they study the players or anything!

sheesh

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:54 pm 

Zidane can retire happy, now; he has his final vent.
:roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:04 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Zidane can retire happy, now; he has his final vent.
:roll:

yeah that was a very strange one that wasnt it??!!

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:42 pm 

Odd final.

wanted the italians to win for a few reasons (Canavarro, Totti, etc ..)

but stilll wanted to see Zidane & Henry score

2 outta 3 aint bad

Still gutted over Argentina, Spain, Holland and England not making it further

But the best team at the tournament won. No complaints.

South Africa next ... :D

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:07 pm 

Who won the World Cup?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:58 pm 

WOuld like to thank everyone for the discussion about diving in football (soccer).  I have not watched many matches.  I watched the final between Italy and France and thought, these guys fall down alot.  Now I know why.  Saw the Spain vs France match.  Those guys were taking a dive every chance they got.  

Enjoyed the games anyway.  Man what those guys can do with thier feet!

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:31 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Who won the World Cup?

From one POV:

Germany won the most -- for being a gracious and exemplary host. Sports Illustrated: "Despite... fears in Germany of hooligan trouble and the potential for racial violence from far-right extremists, the World Cup was a major success. All matches were sold out and millions of people crammed into 'Fan Fests' around Germany to watch the matches on giant TV screens. Internet and TV ratings were unparalleled."

Berlusconi lost, as owner of AC Milan. Reuters UK: "AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio face possible relegation to the second tier Serie B while 26 individuals -- including club and football federation officials, referees and linesmen -- risk bans from their nation's favourite sport... Juventus risk relegation to the third division if found guilty of trying to influence the appointment of match officials for games during the 2004-05 season."

Oh yeah... Italy won by the score of the game itself (in the final shootout), a minor event by comparison. ;>

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 60 of 111123 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 109110111