Comments, thanks, etc.
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:12 pm 
 

First, I wanted to thank people for pointing out things that are neat or interesting.  I bought a few (mostly in straight up bidding rather than sniping) ... even read the Planescape Monstrous Compendium.



Second, having read the Planescape monster book, I'm impressed.  They kept the Night Hag/larvae/etc. ecology (though, looking back, I'd probably have defined larvae as getting an extra d6 for every 10 levels they had in life, rounded down (1-9, no add, 10-19 +d6, 20-29 +2d6).  Other than the Berk this and Berk that comments (which read like Chummers from Shadowrun), I liked it.



Third, I appreciate the pointers to Orpheus and the related material.  I was surprised, it was fun to read and worth the price (and I'll be back to Halfprice book for more ... ;) ).



Anyway, I appreciate the posts and comments here, even if I don't write much.



I need to add more to Ere Anon -- Stories -- but my visits here are what has prompted me to do some more, more than anything else I think.


Regards,



Stephen

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:07 pm 
 

Ethesis wrote:Other than the Berk this and Berk that comments (which read like Chummers from Shadowrun), I liked it.





hey Stephen



whats wrong with the word Chummer, i like that word :)



sounds better then "friend" or "buddy" imo. nobody else uses it that i know so i like it! :)



Al



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:58 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
whats wrong with the word Chummer, i like that word :)



sounds better then "friend" or "buddy" imo. nobody else uses it that i know so i like it! :)



Al




Yeah, great word: "chummer" fits your warm cuddly personality that I imagine someone looking like you ( :roll: looks up and left at picture) would have.  Personally I use a word quite close to "Chummer", I love "Chump", but a couple of people down in the West Country have taken offence at me calling them that, so I save it til I go visiting the "Chumps" Up North.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:58 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
Ethesis wrote:Other than the Berk this and Berk that comments (which read like Chummers from Shadowrun), I liked it.





hey Stephen



whats wrong with the word Chummer, i like that word :)



sounds better then "friend" or "buddy" imo. nobody else uses it that i know so i like it! :)



Al




I like the way Shadowrun uses Chummer, a great word, with double meaning (as chum is also the cut-up fish used as bait).



Berk always read to me as a forced effort to get the Shadowrun effect.


Regards,



Stephen

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:15 pm 
 

Berk (in the Planescape usage) isn't taken from Shadowrun, afaik. The PS slang is old-English stuff. Sigil is modeled, vaguely, after medieval London.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:53 pm 
 

GraysonAC wrote:Berk (in the Planescape usage) isn't taken from Shadowrun, afaik. The PS slang is old-English stuff. Sigil is modeled, vaguely, after medieval London.




I didn't mean that the term came from Shadowrun, just the style of writing rules seemed to be influenced by it, with the word Berk used instead of the word Chummer, if that makes sense.



I could be completely wrong, I missed out on the entire design and release -- after all, I *just* read the monstrous compendium for Planescape -- and I liked it.  Sharp product, all in all.



Glad to see Night Hags and larvae still in use.


Regards,



Stephen

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:45 am 
 

I really like the British gamer slang that includes words like 'ere, chummer, git, skive and the like.



    My own term for this dialect is "Gobbo."



8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:58 am 
 

Ethesis wrote:
I could be completely wrong, I missed out on the entire design and release -- after all, I *just* read the monstrous compendium for Planescape -- and I liked it. Sharp product, all in all.



Glad to see Night Hags and larvae still in use.




must admit myself that i never really took much notice of planescape before, but have been reading some of the material lately, and i really like the design and the ideas. shame it didnt take off in a better way though, as it does have some promise.



Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:22 am 
 

Well, if it's any indication, PS is the only TSR product line that has it's own forum here :P   It's what I run for my home game, and it's about the only thing I collect anymore (can't afford to collect anything else! heh)



I've rarely found folks that didn't like it, once they got a chance to read it. Very unique, and very interesting :)

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:17 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
Ethesis wrote:
I could be completely wrong, I missed out on the entire design and release -- after all, I *just* read the monstrous compendium for Planescape -- and I liked it. Sharp product, all in all.



Glad to see Night Hags and larvae still in use.




must admit myself that i never really took much notice of planescape before, but have been reading some of the material lately, and i really like the design and the ideas. shame it didnt take off in a better way though, as it does have some promise.



Al




I thought it had done fairly well, though TSR did fragment the market a bit, with multiple settings.



Anyone have a full story?



I'm thinking of picking up some more (guess I need to check values, etc. so I can plan prices).



The Planescape Forum is here, but it is really slow ;)


Regards,



Stephen

  


Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 199
Joined: Feb 06, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 12, 2017
Location: The Outlands

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:41 pm 
 

The Planescape Forum is here, but it is really slow




Yes, that's likely largely my fault. But, as things that needed done are done (huge weight off my shoulders), and I have returned, able and happy to put my near-full attention on the subforum (Damn you work and Guild Wars!), hopefully that will change.  :wink:



Besides, it's only slow if no one posts. Go post. :P


Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

               -Factol Pentar, Doomguard

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:09 pm 
 

Azurah wrote:


Besides, it's only slow if no one posts. Go post. :P




i dunno...you put a woman in charge and look what happens  :D  :D  :D  :wink:



  


Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 199
Joined: Feb 06, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 12, 2017
Location: The Outlands

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:15 pm 
 

*chases Al around whapping him with her purse* You brute! You ruffian!





Give me a break. ;)







(and I don't really have a purse.)


Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

               -Factol Pentar, Doomguard

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:40 pm 
 

Ethesis wrote:
I'm thinking of picking up some more (guess I need to check values, etc. so I can plan prices).




Start with the main boxed set, and then grab the Planewalker's Handbook. If you're not hooked after the PWH, then you're simply defective, and a team of modrons will be along shortly to 'repair' you.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:13 pm 
 

GraysonAC wrote:
Ethesis wrote:
I'm thinking of picking up some more (guess I need to check values, etc. so I can plan prices).




Start with the main boxed set, and then grab the Planewalker's Handbook. If you're not hooked after the PWH, then you're simply defective, and a team of modrons will be along shortly to 'repair' you.




Hmm, I'll have to look around for cheap ones.  (I'm interested in cheap hard copy over collectable right now if anyone has use copies they are thinking of selling).


Regards,



Stephen

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:23 pm 
 

An outline of the initial journey into deep dream for while I work up to taking time to read the planescape materials.


Regards,



Stephen

  


Active Collector

Posts: 25
Joined: Feb 04, 2003
Last Visit: Aug 29, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:58 pm 
 

GraysonAC wrote:Berk (in the Planescape usage) isn't taken from Shadowrun, afaik. The PS slang is old-English stuff. Sigil is modeled, vaguely, after medieval London.




Close, but not quite. Most of the slang comes from Elizabethean and 18th c. underworld. "Cony-Catchers and Bawdy-Baskets", "The Elizabethean Underworld" and "It Takes a Thief" were among my primary resources.



As for Shadowrun, I never read it it enough detail to absorb the writing tone. Mostly skimmed it. Not that I didn't like the idea, just there were too many games and not enough time.



Zeb Cook

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 752
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2020
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada, eh?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:07 am 
 

Zeb wrote:Close, but not quite. Most of the slang comes from Elizabethean and 18th c. underworld. "Cony-Catchers and Bawdy-Baskets", "The Elizabethean Underworld" and "It Takes a Thief" were among my primary resources.



As for Shadowrun, I never read it it enough detail to absorb the writing tone. Mostly skimmed it. Not that I didn't like the idea, just there were too many games and not enough time.



Zeb Cook




Cool to know. Thanks Zeb :)  (for the reply, and the setting!)



Just ran my Planescape game tonight, actually. Been a fairly long campaign so far.



If you're ever in Vancouver, first drink or six is on me :)

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1