Interesting paragraph at the end of S4
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:12 am 

I don't see any flame wars coming on this topic.

I agree that the 3.5 rules change the focus from the DM to the PC's.  However, what it really does is put the burden of the rules on the PC's.  There is very little wiggle room.

I suspect that in any system it is the imagination and style of the GM that really gives the game flavor or makes it a dud.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:43 am 

Munchkins have been around forever.  I say in a private game, what the hell, who cares how you play.  The only bad part is shame on the DM for grooming a munchkin.

In my last game, there was a ' 9th level Half-Bugbear/Half-elf, War priest, martial artist with 18/00 str, 17+ dex, 17+ con ac -3, thaco 3.  This guy could move 15", could unerringly find traps, had healing, could deal 30 points of damage (w/ a thaco 3 almost unerringly).

He got mad when the DM told him he couldn't wade through a forest with thick underbrush and attack as well, since even though he was 300 pounds, he had tumbling and blind fighting.

He was always in front of the theif, out magiking the mage, out blasting the Paladin.  With him, you didn't need a party, he was the party.

Min-maxer, that is being nice.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:35 am 

patweb wrote:
In my last game, there was a ' 9th level Half-Bugbear/Half-elf, War priest, martial artist with 18/00 str, 17+ dex, 17+ con ac -3, thaco 3. This guy could move 15", could unerringly find traps, had healing, could deal 30 points of damage (w/ a thaco 3 almost unerringly).

and you call THAT a character??!!  8O  8O  8O  8O

oooooooooook

and this is meant to improve role-playing how? :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:25 pm 

I started logging all of his skills, I have them all written down.  It was much sicker than my description.  Of course, he carried a bastard sword.  Aptly named :).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:51 pm 

Patweb, please tell us your last game was when you were 12... right? You've been painfully without a D&D game for a decade or two? Please? :P

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:58 pm 

Actually, I find there are a lot of aspects I like about 3E, but I honestly miss many things about 1E.

I do admire the fact that with 3E they ironed out alot of the internal contradictions and came up with a much cleaner and unified rules set. It is also a lot more regimented, which I tend to prefer for the most part. Unfortunately, as has been noted, they went and added a bunch of extraneous rules... in my experience, this has caused our play sessions with 3E to bog down significantly as a result, as we are spending many minutes at a time looking up some sort of minutia.

I actually consider 1E to be perhaps better able to handle high level adventurers provided one actually follows the rules to the letter. There are a number of play balance rules that I suspect were not understood and simply ignored (I noticed 2E did away with them altogether) such as weapon vs. armor adjustments and the "Step" function in the To Hit tables that. The latter in particular really keeps things in line since unless you are very high level many of the negative ACs require a natural 20 to hit no matter what kind of magic/strength bonuses you possess.

As a goofy aside, I am actually writing my own D&D rules based on the original set and Dr. Holmes' "Basic" set, that borrows some ideas from AD&D and 3E, along with some of my own, just as an exercise in game design. Won't ever see the light of day, but I find it entertaining.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:39 am 

I still have pretentions myself, CharlesG.   8)   Maybe your re-write will see the light of day.

On my first run through a 3rd edition campaign I DM'd a group of Vikings, all adventuring on the same longship.  I tried to sell the system by allowing high character statistics.

The game was fun, but often silly...and it made it harder for me later when I had to sell my players on the idea that in 3.5, a 12 is a high stat.

I came up with some rough navigation and Viking Age sailing rules that made for some hilarious moments.  My player characters were still really low level when the winds forced them to buzz through the straits around the "Island of the Main Campaign Badguys," running before storm winds.

Then, the winds changed and drove them back through the same straits again   8O   My players successfully argued that, "They'll NEVER expect us to try it TWICE!"    :o  :lol:

Anyway, it has been good fun arguing about all of this.... :lol:  :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous