The Beholder Fanzine
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 31, 2, 3
Author

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2472
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2022
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:56 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:
Major Axe wrote:As far as Underworld Oracle goes, it reached issue #7 before folding. The last issue (of which I believe there was a print run of only 50) was A4 size instead of A5, and has a colour cover.



If anyone wants any more info about English fanzines just drop me a line.



:D


And possibly even 'zines from other parts of the UK, too... ;)



Hiya! :D



Yup, UO #7 is rare. The delay between #6 and #7 was so long that GW had refunded payments for those orders they'd received. When it was eventually printed, it may have been on sale at Dragonmeet 2 (Sept. '79) according to Guy Duke in TBH #8. Direct subs might still have been active and it was also available at Edinburgh "Games Gallery" (for obvious reasons).

Do you have any copies and, if so, how did you obtain yours?

*

Had thought a bit more than 50, but certainly way down towards that level. Pity... :(




I have all 7 issues.. looks like I can stop looking for more of these at least;)



Brette:)

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:01 pm 
 

beasterbrook wrote:I have all 7 issues.. looks like I can stop looking for more of these at least;)



Brette:)


Since you have the WD reprints, do you have all the UO reprints too, Brette? :P

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2472
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2022
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:09 pm 
 

doh! thanks for bringing that up, I didn't know there was one till someone (you?) mentioned it here..... god eventually i suppose, we will see what shows up...



Brette:)

 WWW  


Collector

Posts: 7
Joined: Jan 17, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 06, 2005
Location: Leeds, England

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:26 pm 
 

I got my 2 copies at Dragonmeet 2 - which I almost missed because of the size change in the zine.



By the way, does anyone have a comprehensive list of zines?  I guess it would be almost impossible to put together a full listing, but surely someone must have had a go.



8O

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:58 pm 
 

Major Axe wrote:I got my 2 copies at Dragonmeet 2 - which I almost missed because of the size change in the zine.


Have heard about your (very sensible) tendency to pick up duplicates! :)



Good! Guy was right, Mike was wrong (or else wasn't looking for the correct size of 'zine, either). Thanks for the confirmation. :D



Major Axe wrote:By the way, does anyone have a comprehensive list of zines? I guess it would be almost impossible to put together a full listing, but surely someone must have had a go.


Sort of... for over here, anyhow.



I've added ~70 entries to the UK RPG 'zine list Brian Misiaszek maintained on uk.games.roleplay; which was a combined effort by various individuals including Brette.

Is pushing 400 now- titles, not issues *g*- 'though I still need to cull a few from the list that probably never were anything other than non-RP PBMs/dipzines (of which the UK has had hundreds, and for which a separate list is maintained at UK Zine Archive).



At present the list is very rough since I was trying to pull in dates, printing format, system content, references, etc. Might appreciate a hand with that some time...

  


Collector

Posts: 7
Joined: Jan 17, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 06, 2005
Location: Leeds, England

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:07 pm 
 

Thanks for the info.  I've just had a quick look at the listing and there are a few gaps - such as Wyrms Claw which was published in the 80s for 18 issues.  I'm more than happy to help out in the quest to put together a list of zines.

:lol:

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:38 pm 
 

Major Axe wrote:Thanks for the info. I've just had a quick look at the listing and there are a few gaps - such as Wyrms Claw which was published in the 80s for 18 issues. I'm more than happy to help out in the quest to put together a list of zines.

:lol:


PM sent. Please let me know what you think (if you wish to reply, rather than hide! :P).



David.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2472
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2022
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:00 pm 
 

I've added a few to his list since last time as well...can you post me a copy david and I'll see what I can do as well;)



Brette:)

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:36 am 
 

while eating breakfast, i have just read through Underworld Oracle # 5 and Trollcrusher # 21.



bloody good books them - really liked the two dungeons contained therein.



must try and get more!



Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Collector

Posts: 7
Joined: Jan 17, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 06, 2005
Location: Leeds, England

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:28 pm 
 

Yup - Trollcrusher was probably the best of em all.  It ran to issue #29, so there's lots to collect.

8O

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:13 pm 
 

Major Axe wrote:Yup - Trollcrusher was probably the best of em all. It ran to issue #29, so there's lots to collect.

8O




heh yeah i have two :)


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2022

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:34 pm 
 

Okay, I got a couple pushes from some familiar faces, but nothing substantial, and no snipes:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5245583152





Did I do okay on these, did you guys give me sypathy freebie, or did I way overpay.  :?


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2472
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2022
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:57 pm 
 

I already had them (and I think I may have a spare copy or two about as well) they come up infrequently... I don't think I would have pushas as much personally with approx $12 per issue, but to each his/her own... the only one I don't have is issue 2... the last is issue 8 (its the last copy i have anyway)



Brette:)

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:25 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Okay, I got a couple pushes from some familiar faces, but nothing substantial, and no snipes:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5245583152





Did I do okay on these, did you guys give me sypathy freebie, or did I way overpay. :?




you won them BC???!! oh feck man i am really sorry i didnt see that you were bidding or i wouldnt have bid there. oh man  :?



i would have still had them for that price anyway...regardless of whether they are worth it or not, cos i have never seen them before.


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:42 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:i would have still had them for that price anyway...regardless of whether they are worth it or not, cos i have never seen them before.


Time to give up on fanzines, I guess... :?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:39 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i would have still had them for that price anyway...regardless of whether they are worth it or not, cos i have never seen them before.


Time to give up on fanzines, I guess... :?




why? have i done something wrong?  :?


Are we nearly there yet?

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2472
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2022
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:14 am 
 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:i would have still had them for that price anyway...regardless of whether they are worth it or not, cos i have never seen them before.


Time to give up on fanzines, I guess... :?




Oh god no don't do that;).. there are only a couple of insane people out there that pust the price up, some regularly go through for a couple of dollars...



Brette:)

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2022

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:26 am 
 

beasterbrook wrote:
harami2000 wrote:
Time to give up on fanzines, I guess... :?




Oh god no don't do that;).. there are only a couple of insane people out there that pust the price up, some regularly go through for a couple of dollars...



Brette:)




I guess that means that I paid too much then. :oops:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 31, 2, 3