GenCon 19 RPGA AD&D Tournament Modules - Gypsy
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:14 am 

Alright all, I figured that being that these are some tournament modules, that they deserved their own thread. :) The same seller who had the RPGA3 up earlier this evening with the $200.00 BIN, now has 3 tournament modules from GenCon19 in 1986 under the title of "Gypsy":

Ad&d Module | eBay

The seller states that are written by Frank Mentzer and are on dot-matrix paper. Does anyone know anything about these?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:26 am 

They're another module from Menter's pen, though I don't recall them being Aquaria- or GH-related (per previous chats with Frank).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:36 am 

Gypsy is relatively generic, tho it is set within my Aquaria campaign (which started in 1976 and is on the next continent east of Oerid/Greyhawk).

The characters are all part of an extended gypsy family who are all also adventurer types. (In tourney play nobody could do Hungarian well, so it ended up a weird mix of French, German, and Italian accents.) They inherit a carnival, including fantasy animals and such. A mystery arises. They solve it.

The first two rounds are well-detailed but I ran out of time, so round 3 is only rough plot notes, monster stats, and a map.

This was supposta be in the "R" series (#11 or 12 maybe), but that had already been cancelled by the PoG. Very few copies exist.

I wish the seller had a photo. But if it's the original line-printer output (not a photocopy; you can tell from the indentations on the paper), it's legit and very rare.

-- da awther

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:54 am 

..... and Frank's words add another $100 onto the final sale price. :(

I guess I'm not gonna win this one.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:10 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:..... and Frank's words add another $100 onto the final sale price. :(

i'm gonna have a hit at this one too...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:39 pm 

Hi guys...since I stumbled onto this board while i was trying to figure out what some of this stuff was worth, I figured I should let you know....First off, I want to say hi to Frank M, who i met 19 years ago in Milwaukee at GenCon. I really enjoyed my time in the RPGA. You wrote alot of great modules.

The modules are the "originals" that were handed out to the judges and it does have the dotmatrix page seperation perferations in th pages. Frank, not sure if you remember, but i also have your "apology" letter you sent out a few weeks earlier saying the modules were late, but they'd be done in time for gencon. You also included the character sheets. I'm including those in the auction.

I will send pix of the three modules...just email me via ebay. Also, if you take a look at my Taylor Made driver auction, a certain "Gygax" asked me a question there about my stuff. Like a tard i didnt even notice the name as i sent the reply...not sure if he's the real deal, though.

If this isn't ok for me to hop in here, just let me know and i wont post anymore...it's just that ebay locks up the item description once there's a bid, so its hard to communicate to potential bidders after that....

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:52 pm 

well, it turns out that the stuff is even better than i described in the auction.... as i was taking the pix, i realized that round three is autographed by Frank with the exclamation "Finale /  Frank Mentzer / GC19 )

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:25 pm 

Hiya there! :D

Next time, please could you put "worldwide" on the auction, up-front! :P

(It wasn't a high price; actually pretty much spot-on compared with the $163 for a copy a few weeks ago. Brian "rescued" it from the clutches of a certain reseller... *nod nods* ;)).

thezinfan wrote:I will send pix of the three modules...just email me via ebay. Also, if you take a look at my Taylor Made driver auction, a certain "Gygax" asked me a question there about my stuff. Like a tard i didnt even notice the name as i sent the reply...not sure if he's the real deal, though.

No, he's not. ;)

thezinfan wrote:If this isn't ok for me to hop in here, just let me know and i wont post anymore...it's just that ebay locks up the item description once there's a bid, so its hard to communicate to potential bidders after that....

Love to have as much information as possible; and as many high-res pics, too. (You can still add in further text, such as links to hosted pics on photobucket, and suchlike...).

Pity the GenCon 19 programme ain't signed, otherwise it would have complemented that lot very well...

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:39 pm 

Ya, i figured out that i could still add to the description, so i uploaded the photos into the description.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:46 pm 

thezinfan wrote:Ya, i figured out that i could still add to the description, so i uploaded the photos into the description.

Looking good.

The TSR letters are a bonus, too. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:32 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:..... and Frank's words add another $100 onto the final sale price. :(

100?  Probably more like several hundred. ;)  I took a shot at it (as I'm flush with post-Tsoj. cash), but I'm out.   :evil:  I'm going to randomly guess the final price will be $564.85 USD.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:44 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:100? Probably more like several hundred. ;) I took a shot at it (as I'm flush with post-Tsoj. cash), but I'm out.  :evil: I'm going to randomly guess the final price will be $564.85 USD.

Yup, that sure looks like a random stream of digits, Deimos. :o

(Is a bit recent for me, but excellent provenance/supporting material and Al's bidding should do it well, I think).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:12 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
(Is a bit recent for me, but excellent provenance/supporting material and Al's bidding should do it well, I think).

yeah this looks like a real nice item to treasure imo. i've lobbed a bid on - it will no doubt be topped but i will certainly add another too - should be a fun one this :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:48 pm 

thezinfan wrote:not sure if you remember, but i also have your "apology" letter you sent out a few weeks earlier saying the modules were late, but they'd be done in time for gencon. You also included the character sheets.

Ah, so YOU'RE one of the poor DMs that had to put up with my tardiness.

::sigh:: Yup, I remember that letter. (That was prolly TSR stationery, too.) And then I never did finish the darn thing...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:13 am 

Hm, a thought... maybe I should buy this and finish it.  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:16 am 

Or, maybe I should buy it and you should finish it... 8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:55 am 

ExTSR wrote:Hm, a thought... maybe I should buy this and finish it. :wink:

Frank, are you sure you don't have an original hidden somewhere in your archives?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:25 pm 

improvstone wrote:Frank, are you sure you don't have an original hidden somewhere in your archives?

I don't know. Have yet to dig through all that paper and organize it.

Next