How does acaeum index price?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:21 am 

Just wondering how acaeum does its pricing on all the items listed. I've been trying to stick with the pricing index on ebay, but at least 75% of the time i've been outbid. Is there any way to statistically analyse, on ebay, the historical prices of any one item?. I've noticed soooooo many less than mint common modules going over the $8 cap. Just wondering how i could determine a good max/min when doing my auctioning.   Thanks   Mike C.

WWW YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:56 pm 

All I can say is that alot of the prices on the Acaeum have not been updated in years. The best thing to do is look when they were last updated and assume that the price has gone up(usually around 10% for each year that has gone by). This is not always the case though as I have seen many items sell for less than the bid history on this site.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:50 pm 

You can also do a search for completed items on ebay. It will give you the prices of similar items that have ended recently.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:16 am 

You also have to take into account actually being smart and being patient.  I've noticed that if you wait a few months, some modules will start going for signifigantly less, and occassionally you'll totally luck out on price.  And conversely, I've seen times when something goes for WAAAAY more than it should.  I've gotten some mods for a fraction of the current going price, or bought lots with a rare book that others had overlooked.  Occassionaly somebody just totally mis-lists an item, and while those are hard to find, I did pick up some rare Planescape stuff for 1/4 of the going cost by literally stumbling onto one auction. Case in point is some of the rarer White Wolf books I've sold.  Wraith - The Risen was only recently going for around $20, but I've sold copies for $110 and $75.  Guess sometimes its just luck (if you are selling) or bad luck (if you want it) when you get 2 people locked in a bidding war.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:00 pm 

There are so many variables that go into how much something goes for on ebay that it is impossible to figure out. It goes down to how much you want to pay. Major factors are the description that sellers use. A seller with an accurate description plus a picture will generally get more than one who writes "U3 Final Enemy - Good condition".  Has  the seller listed it correctly by category?, put a good title that is easily searchable? My advice if your a collector then be patient and just keep searching and bidding and eventually you will get the module you want.  The Arcaeum is just a guide and sometimes is no-where near the end price. Prices vary literary week by week.    However there are a few items that you are always going to have to pay extra for unless you get them in a collection - T1-4, H1-4, GDQ1-7 etc as they consistently go for high prices

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:37 am 

Check these out. The first one...what happened!! 8O

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 3135025269

The second one......someone got a good deal.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 3135036981

Great to be back after a month long military school session......

.....damn hackers!!! :evil:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:31 pm 

Howdy,

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Check these out. The first one...what happened!! 8O

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 3135025269

What happened was that Scott and I both really wanted that shrinkwrapped copy of G1. It is a milestone - TSR's first published module. That baby has been in shrinkwrap for 25 years! I think it is amazing that it remained unopened that entire time - let alone that it could have survived at all.

I am very pleased that I got it. I am just sorry that it had to be against Scott. Alas, such is the company we keep and the things we commonly desire.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:46 pm 

Yeah, I had figured my bid was sure to win it.  But actually, when I look at the auction history on the G modules page, I see that a 1st print-in-the-shrinkwrap G2 and G3 went for about $75 each a few years ago.  So the bid amount is not totally without precedent.

Congratulations on the win!  If you ever want to unload some of your stuff at a severe discount, Paul, I'm all ears.  :)

Foul