Are you a print run junkie?
Poll: Are you a print run junkie?

Hell, yes! 18%       18%  [ 6 ]
Partly. 1st printings only. 15%       15%  [ 5 ]
Partly. Selected items only. 39%       39%  [ 13 ]
Partly. (Other reason). 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Owning more than one version of the same book? Are you sick? 27%       27%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 33

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:26 am 

I' sure we've had this poll before. Anyway, if so, it's time for an update!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:31 am 

I've voted for selected items. For some, I'd like to have the cover variants. For others, it would be interesting to own a 1st printing.

BTW, why is it that print runs become more important for rarer items? And why is a 10th never worth more than a 1st, even if less copies were produced?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:32 am 

Not important to me, but I'm not a major collector (mostly just Planescape stuff)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:11 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:I've voted for selected items. For some, I'd like to have the cover variants. For others, it would be interesting to own a 1st printing.

BTW, why is it that print runs become more important for rarer items? And why is a 10th never worth more than a 1st, even if less copies were produced?

I agree, also for some boxed sets I collect multiple prints if the contents varied enough.

As for later prints not being worth as much, that is not always true, but usually the rule (a clear example of a game where the later prints are worth more would be Twilight 2000, the 2.1 boxed sets are exceedingly more rare, and the price generally reflects that.)

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:22 am 

As far as print runs go the only printings that I really care about are the woodgrain box sets, the original supplements and the 3 original hardcover books produced.  I do have a lot of dups, but even if I had the desire to collect all print runs of all items, there is no way I would have the money or the space to cover it.  I will be happy when I am able to get 1 of every item I want, let alone multiples copies of each. 8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:03 pm 

I am looking for them all!  I am a collector after all.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:13 pm 

I'm in the same boat as Blackmoor. I've gone this far, why not finish them all off  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:28 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I am looking for them all! I am a collector after all.

chromaticknight wrote:I'm in the same boat as Blackmoor. I've gone this far, why not finish them all off :D

So, did you deliberately decide to do this, or was it more like waking up one morning in cold sweat, realizing "damn I've become a print run junkie!"?  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:43 pm 

bclarkie wrote:As far as print runs go the only printings that I really care about are the woodgrain box sets, the original supplements and the 3 original hardcover books produced. I do have a lot of dups, but even if I had the desire to collect all print runs of all items, there is no way I would have the money or the space to cover it. I will be happy when I am able to get 1 of every item I want, let alone multiples copies of each. 8O

I'm pretty much the same, but I'll never be able to get a woodgrain, let alone a complete set...so I'll settle for 4th/5th/6th.  Not out to get every GH printing, but one of each cover variation would be nice...same for the early PHB/DMG/MM, and mono mods.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:50 pm 

I still call it research... ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:08 pm 

harami2000 wrote:I still call it research... ;)

And here David, I thought you were just trying to be the first person to ever to construct a castle out of white boxes. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:13 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
harami2000 wrote:I still call it research... ;)

And here David, I thought you were just trying to be the first person to ever to construct a castle out of white boxes. :P

And that would be a "White Castle" of course, out of which David could serve small, greasy burgers for 25 cents each...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:21 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

And that would be a "White Castle" of course, out of which David could serve small, greasy burgers for 25 cents each...

As long as David does not decide to make a crappy movie about it, I am okay with it. :wink:  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:46 pm 

Some people are saying it would be impossible to get every printing, I don't think so, I have done a very good job of it without trying very hard at all. One day I will have every printing of every item that was published by TSR/Wizards I think that day may come sooner that later. I have most of the printings of the 1st ed modules just by buying lots and getting extras, the fun part is that aside from some obvious items (Wood Grain set, some OD&D) the items are easily obtainable, a 1st D1-2 goes for about the same as a 4th. Hell I got all the printings of the Greyhawk folio without any effort whatsoever! I even have some stuff that the Acaeum does not recognize yet (Very minor differences in the Greyhawk box set for example.

It is very cool to look at your collection of 4 Deities and Demigods books and know each one is unique. Even 2nd ed stuff with different logos is cool. I am also looking for the different printings of the 11 series miniatures put out by Ral Partha.

Its fun and better than wasting money on beer and dope.

Thanks

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:28 pm 

I think my habit started with the D and G mono mods. Then helping the acaeum in the early days looking for scans of different prints, which I then kept of course. After that I checked items I received in lots and package deals and continued to send scans and info to Scott of new prints or better scans that he had already. I kept these different prints as well for "research" and "reference". Then I came to the point of "well I have so many, I might as well get the rest".

To top that off, I started comparing 2nd editon items with Adrian over at TSR Archive and, well, I might as well collect different prints of 2nd edition items also  8O . To add to the horror, I also get 3rd edition tsr books regularly  :oops:  .

So I go along with David and Jeff's views. Research, reference, collecting, call it what you will, I'm having fun doing it, and it keeps my collection growing :D .

If anyone wants my want list let me know, I'm still collecting  8O

Ralf - I would have to say it was deliberate. kind of snuck up on me, but I knew it was there.

Mike

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:01 pm 

If my wife ever found multiple copies of the same thing, the result would be hazardous to my health.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:24 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:To add to the horror, I also get 3rd edition tsr books regularly

3rd Edition TSR?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:35 pm 

GraysonAC-

Shows how much attention I pay to them  :wink: . That was meant to exclude the 3rd party open license items. I guess that should be wizards of the coast for the 3rd eds then :roll:

Next