cat urine issue :-(
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:40 pm 

So, it seems that one of the cats new to our new home decided that they needed to mark territory among my D&D moving boxes :/  This happened twice, but only once was any D&D stuff harmed.  Fortunately, it seems that the only things damaged were several 3e Dungeon magazines, which are all easily replaced.  Our hunch is that one of my in-laws' cats did it, since our cats shouldn't (in theory) feel the need to mark territory on our stuff.  

The amount of leakage through the box was very minimal, but I don't want the cats to get the idea that peeing all over my gaming books is acceptable.  I was planning to toss the magazines to be safe, but thought I'd see if folks here have any advice/similar experiences/etc. with cats, and if there's anything I should consider doing.

Again, I'm not concerned about the issues themselves, I just want to be sure that whatever I do doesn't make this more likely to happen again in the future.

Thanks!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:46 pm 

Talk to someone at a pet store, and get the strongest scent-remover they carry. Once a cat has sprayed an area (or worse, some other cat has sprayed it), they'll continue to mark that area when they get stressed or sick. Having a lot of new activity (moving) is something that can cause them to start spraying. Really, really frustrating.

/slept on the couch last night because our older cat wizzed on our bed... again

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:13 am 

I've had similar problems with my cats, particularly one, who has a tendency to wee when she gets scared (which is not great if she gets chased by the other & climbs onto a bookshelf... :? ). I'd suggest moving the boxes if you can and possibly placing a litter tray in the room where you store the items so the cats know that they have a place where they are expected to do these activities (heck, not pleasant, but I have a litter tray in my bedroom).

Are the cats all neutered & spayed? If they're not, this is a must particularly for male cats.

As Grayson has said, it's most likely happened because the cats are stressed out (when my bedrooom was being redecorated, my cats & I slept downstairs and they had little accidents on my bed down there because it was difficult for them dealing with the change).

Bicarbonate soda works well at removing odours (sprinkle lots on & vaccum off after a few hours).

Edit:

You could also try feeding them right next to where the boxes are.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:31 am 

Offer up your cats on Ebay under the heading, "AD&D First Edition Cats" and see if Creep1962 will bid $100.

:lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:45 am 

Skin one of the cats and hang the hide over the collection. I find this to be an effective deterrent. Make sure it is properly cured, or it could possibly drip blood onto your items and cause more damage than cat urine.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:47 am 

Storing your cats in sealed plastic food containers is probably the easiest and tidiest way. Squeezing a large cat into a small container can be a bit tricky, but once the lid is securely snapped down you should have no further problem. Buy containers that stack so that if you have more than one cat they can be stored on top of each other.

easy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:03 am 

Your cat is probably protecting your collection by leaving a marker. Just in case all the other cats in the neighbourhood want to come by and piss on it. :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:31 am 

Many thanks folks  :wink:

The cardboard storage box has already been tossed, the area cleaned, the likely culprits banished to being outdoor cats only; I'll probably toss the magazines and replace them, just to be safe.

Unless of course anyone else wants to buy/trade them? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:33 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Offer up your cats on Ebay under the heading, "AD&D First Edition Cats" and see if Creep1962 will bid $100.

:lol:

Good lord, I laughed so hard soup came out my nose!  It is going to take me a couple of hours to get all the corn out of my sinuses.  8O

BTW, Deadlord, you are one sick dude.  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:41 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Skin one of the cats and hang the hide over the collection. I find this to be an effective deterrent. Make sure it is properly cured, or it could possibly drip blood onto your items and cause more damage than cat urine.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We have GOT to meet for a beer some time...