IO’s Little Castle, and the Politics of Natural Disasters
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:11 pm 

*stops mid post*

David nailed it.

I'll trade you the "missing" Cupric text for your copy D 8O :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:38 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:*stops mid post*

David nailed it.

I'll trade you the "missing" Cupric text for your copy D 8O :D

Good try! ;)

Yes. A slightly frustrating gap that, but I'll have to live with it, as with the Revenaunt...

Hrmm: does that mean you weren't tempted by the two squillion dollars after that CoC thread died down? (Crazy cultists :P).

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, Mike. After that latest eBay sale, the 2nd print should be worth more than the 1st; and then you should be able to do a trade. (weird valuation system 8O)

With the original Blackmoor connection that's one I'm going to be holding on to even more than usual, but you never know when a "spare" might come along...

-

Oh, I take it you don't have all nine (or ten?) white box sets as well as the majority of woodgrains between y'all? :D

Or d'you have enough space for all those dups? (If you've got all the supplement printings, please let me know, too...)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:23 pm 

grodog bumping himself wrote:That is one beautifully-rendered Underdark map, Mike---truly worthy of hanging in such august company! Do you often create such nice maps? If so, we (the royal, Different Worlds "we") may be able to put you to work :D

PS - any chance you have a "Treasure of the Dragon Queen" hiding in there somewhere, Mike?

Now that we're back to ogling IO's lair....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:12 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:My collection is on a portable hard drive. The items in my collection that I simply must have hard copies of are all in the one box. All the other boxes are either things to be scanned, or things that have been scanned and are waiting to go back on eBay.

My ultimate goal is one box of stuff, the rest scans. I have yet to actually scan anything, though.  :D

Last edited by Zenopus on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:26 am 

I have purchased scans from DrivethruRPG.  The scan are handy because you can print out what you need, make notes, mix and match without wrecking your originals.

Still...there is something about owning an original publication....   8)

Also, unless there is some sort of cataclysm that wipes out most computer records....I just don't see sharing an online community discussion with people who collect scans.   :(

And I still say that that underworld map is the coolest thing in the IO's collection.   :wink:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 am 

i guess its one of them "each to their own" situations. me? i like the real deal. there is nothing to compare, to holding the actual original item for me.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:18 am 

killjoy32 wrote:mine kinda takes up a room, but i have it all inventoried - which is almost complete

Hey, Alan. If one of those tornados touches down in your neighbourhood, you collection would be all over town. I was down your neck of the woods last Thursday. You have great traffic down there. You must have twice as many cars as we do in sunny Scotland.

zhowar1 wrote:Hey, this would be my ultimate goal, too! One box of stuff, the rest scans. I have yet to actually scan anything, though.

I have practically my whole collection scanned (90% of which is non-TSR), but then my whole collection would fit in IO's closet, or maybe his bin. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:mine kinda takes up a room, but i have it all inventoried - which is almost complete

Hey, Alan. If one of those tornados touches down in your neighbourhood, you collection would be all over town. I was down your neck of the woods last Thursday. You have great traffic down there. You must have twice as many cars as we do in sunny Scotland.

zhowar1 wrote:Hey, this would be my ultimate goal, too! One box of stuff, the rest scans. I have yet to actually scan anything, though.

I have practically my whole collection scanned (90% of which is non-TSR), but then my whole collection would fit in IO's closet, or maybe his bin. :D

Well hey, bring on several tornadoes please - my stuff is well and truly insured and inventoried and logged in several places, so would welcome a nice insurance claim anyday thankyou very much :D

bar for losing a few very precious items that i really would miss, it wouldnt bother me too much - all the more reason to start all over again :D

and yeah youre right, we have some pretty bad traffic down here, specially in busy hours - it can be horrendous. you should have let me know and you could have popped over for a chat.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:06 am 

bbarsh wrote:I think the topic drifted into what would happen if all your stuff was destroyed in some sort of catastrophic event...

I have my stuff on various lists, but that is about it. It is time to break out the digital camera or camcorder and make a true record of my collection. It certainly is not even close to IOs, but I would estimate I am in the 10K club as far as value goes.

Anybody else have this sort of thought?

I'm slow committing my collection to memory.  Everyday, I pray I don't win another auction.  :lol:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:09 am 

That brings up a question.

If disaster did strike, and all was lost, what would you miss the most?

This is not a value (cash) question, but more specifically which item(s) do you hold most important.

For me it is gonna be my basic set (3rd print) and M&T set 4-6. All are worn from use and the box still holds several early home made dungeons and my well worn - mostly round - dice. It was all I had for about a year until I got my PHB and then on to the rest. But we played practically every night that summer (1978). For me, that stuff is not replaceable - copies just would not be the same.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:17 am 

Most missed stuff:

Piece of paper with RJK's signature on it (dunno why)

5A booklets (research potential)

UK rulebooks (took forever to win)

Original home-grown game world manuscripts (contents are in digital form, but the original paper is nicer)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:01 am 

killjoy32 wrote:Well hey, bring on several tornadoes please - my stuff is well and truly insured and inventoried and logged in several places, so would welcome a nice insurance claim anyday thankyou very much :D

bar for losing a few very precious items that i really would miss, it wouldnt bother me too much - all the more reason to start all over again :D

and yeah youre right, we have some pretty bad traffic down here, specially in busy hours - it can be horrendous. you should have let me know and you could have popped over for a chat.

Al

Does your home contents insurance cover you for 'acts of God'. My buildings insurance covers me for extreme weather and acts of God, but my home contents does not. So I could get my roof and windows back, but my collection.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:22 pm 

Killjoy, you should move to Small Heath or Moseley/Kings Heath area in Bham, apparently that's the Midlands "tornado alley". ;)

My most missed stuff would probably be:

*My first boxed set that my dad got me when I started playing D&D (Dawn of the Emperors)

*Some dice I got when I went to GC UK & met up with some friends from abroad there.

*Signed Larry Elmore print of Raistlin & Crysania that I got for my 19th bday from my dad.

*A TSR notebook signed by artists & designers (it's not in possession atm, it's in Renton in the States with a friend (getting signed by more people!)) :D

Everything else in my collection would just be money to replace. Like others have said though, you can't replace love or good memories.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:53 pm 

Io wrote:

I'll trade you the "missing" Cupric text for your copy D

Harami wrote:

Good try!

Yes. A slightly frustrating gap that, but I'll have to live with it, as with the Revenaunt...

I know, it is frustrating, and it's not the fact that you or I don't have it all -- it's just I think stuff like that should be together in one bundle.

Maybe we should go outside the rules and send each other copies 8O (marked as copies). I would love to read it all straight through. :D

BTW who has the Revenaunt?

Hrmm: does that mean you weren't tempted by the two squillion dollars after that CoC thread died down? (Crazy cultists ).

No, mind-boggled would be more the word to describe how I was feeling as the offers came screaming in. The highest bid was three-grand under the pretense it was an "original manuscript". "Tempted" came in after that was flushed out, but I'm not a cheat, so it is what it is and I politely declined the offers. I'd also like to add Paul offered to make good on the whole thing and then some, but in the end I decided to keep them hoping maybe that one day they could be reunited as they should be... here or elsewhere.

With the original Blackmoor connection that's one I'm going to be holding on to even more than usual

Now that's a nice piece!

but you never know when a "spare" might come along...

Hoping :roll:

Oh, I take it you don't have all nine (or ten?) white box sets as well as the majority of woodgrains between y'all?

Or d'you have enough space for all those dups? (If you've got all the supplement printings, please let me know, too...)

No, sorry only a first and second woody and a few OCE's here, there's a few other gems we'd like to have first. But, have considered on occasion becoming a print run junky with the OD&D boxes if any.

Grodog wrote:

Now that we're back to ogling IO's lair....
:lol:

That is one beautifully-rendered Underdark map, Mike---truly worthy of hanging in such august company! Do you often create such nice maps? If so, we (the royal, Different Worlds "we") may be able to put you to work

Thanks Allan, I'll add that it was also a very cool campaign, some of the players played characters that had never seen the sunlight. It was interesting role-playing to say the least, we had a lot of fun.

And yes, I do often create maps and such for our games. Even with all the new mapping programs out there I still enjoy breaking out the graph-paper, pencils, and rulers. I'd be glad to help you guys out if you needed a cartographer. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss it. I'll post a few more pics if you guys want.

PS - any chance you have a "Treasure of the Dragon Queen" hiding in there somewhere, Mike?

Unfortunately no, but I do have my eye out for it after reading over your web-site, which BTW is unbelievable. The dedication to Grayhawk is truly noteworthy! If I come across one I'll be sending it to you. I'd love for you and your brother to be able to play it once more.

Bbarsh wrote:

That brings up a question.

I'd have to agree, the most missed items would be the ones form our childhood. The PHB's and DMG's with our names written on the inside cover. Those and original character sheets and such would be irreplaceable. We treasure these as much as any of our rarest items. :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:41 pm 

What would I miss most?

I would miss my own writings and maps, created for the game.  Once lost, those would truly be irreplaceable.

I still regret some things that got tossed out when I was a kid...gone forever.

I never met a publication that could not be replaced.   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:11 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:

Thanks Allan, I'll add that it was also a very cool campaign, some of the players played characters that had never seen the sunlight. It was interesting role-playing to say the least, we had a lot of fun.

And yes, I do often create maps and such for our games. Even with all the new mapping programs out there I still enjoy breaking out the graph-paper, pencils, and rulers. I'd be glad to help you guys out if you needed a cartographer. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss it. I'll post a few more pics if you guys want.

More pics would be fun, as well as useful to check out! Thanks, Mike.

grodog wrote:PS - any chance you have a "Treasure of the Dragon Queen" hiding in there somewhere, Mike?

Unfortunately no, but I do have my eye out for it after reading over your web-site, which BTW is unbelievable. The dedication to Grayhawk is truly noteworthy!

Thanks muchly :D I love Greyhawk, it's really what defines D&D for me in many ways, so I'm glad to share that enthusiasm with the rest of the world :D

If I come across one I'll be sending it to you. I'd love for you and your brother to be able to play it once more.

Thanks, I think I need all the help that I can get on that tracking that beast down ;)

Bbarsh wrote:
bbarsh wrote:That brings up a question.

I'd have to agree, the most missed items would be the ones form our childhood. The PHB's and DMG's with our names written on the inside cover. Those and original character sheets and such would be irreplaceable. We treasure these as much as any of our rarest items. :D

My brother Brian and I were so jazzed when I was back in NJ for my brother Phil's wedding back in May: we found not only my box of old RJK and EGG correspondance from 1987-88, but we found Phil's folder of PCs, too, which had been lost for several years (though not as long as the RJK/EGG stuff). Hopefully we'll find Brian's PCs too, since we're planning to surprise Phil for Xmas with a few days of gaming! We're going to block off the old alcove where our gaming table is with a japanese screen or somesuch, and let him "unwrap" it, which will reveal a table laid out with dice, miniatures, his found PCs, books, and DM screen at the ready! Hopefully it'll be fun (now I just have to write the adventure...).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:28 am 

grodog wrote:

More pics would be fun, as well as useful to check out!

Allan, here is a pic of another map, local elevations, and an architectural rendering. I also do sketches in the classical D&D style, but I'm sure that's right up your alley. :P :lol:

*razzing myself as well*

grodog wrote:

My brother Brian and I were so jazzed when I was back in NJ for my brother Phil's wedding back in May: we found not only my box of old RJK and EGG correspondance from 1987-88, but we found Phil's folder of PCs, too, which had been lost for several years (though not as long as the RJK/EGG stuff). Hopefully we'll find Brian's PCs too, since we're planning to surprise Phil for Xmas with a few days of gaming! We're going to block off the old alcove where our gaming table is with a japanese screen or somesuch, and let him "unwrap" it, which will reveal a table laid out with dice, miniatures, his found PCs, books, and DM screen at the ready! Hopefully it'll be fun (now I just have to write the adventure...).

That sounds like you had a blast! And the upcoming trip sounds amazing as well! BTW, did you read my post before leaving on your last trip to NJ? I forget what thread, but it was one where you said you were hoping to find a TotDQ.

My suggestion was hitting up a few of the local game store's message boards with groups of older players looking for the like (AD&D - 1st edition game - Sunday nights, etc.). Their phone numbers are right there for the taking, and I've been able to acquire some cool stuf in this manner before. Who knows… maybe a local has one tucked away :roll: . It's a bit of a stretch, but when all other avenues have been exhausted…drastic measures are called for. :twisted:

Mike

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:59 am 

That's beautiful art, Mike! Have you ever worked as professional illustrator?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

PreviousNext