IO’s Little Castle, and the Politics of Natural Disasters
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:46 pm 

I think the topic drifted into what would happen if all your stuff was destroyed in some sort of catastrophic event...

I have my stuff on various lists, but that is about it. It is time to break out the digital camera or camcorder and make a true record of my collection. It certainly is not even close to IOs, but I would estimate I am in the 10K club as far as value goes.

Anybody else have this sort of thought?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:29 pm 

Some of you have collections that really do need protecting.  You need to get it all out and photograph it and print off internet price lists to support your insurance updates.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:17 pm 

My collection is on a portable hard drive. The items in my collection that I simply must have hard copies of are all in the one box. All the other boxes are either things to be scanned, or things that have been scanned and are waiting to go back on eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:44 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:My collection is on a portable hard drive. The items in my collection that I simply must have hard copies of are all in the one box. All the other boxes are either things to be scanned, or things that have been scanned and are waiting to go back on eBay.

mine kinda takes up a room, but i have it all inventoried - which is almost complete

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:02 pm 

The more I think about this, the more my brain starts to hurt (ala mbass). Not only do I need to do a better job of completing my list, I need to photograph this stuff. Then contact my home owners insurance and see if and how I need to report it.

Fortunately, I can electronically store all the data and pics at work for back up. One of the few perks of owning my own business.

This is looking to be a monumental task. And I do not think I have that much stuff, especially when I look over at IO  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:49 pm 

*changes the thread title*

Now we're back on topic… :) :lol:

Seriously though, what does all this stuff matter? The only loss I'd feel if all of this was destroyed would be the loss to our little community. Sure I have it all insured and believe me all of the rares were in waterproof cases safe and sound during the storm, but it's really about us. I like many of you guys have been a gamer my entire life and the losing of 1st prints, manuscripts, or our entire collection won't take that away from me.

I don't post these pictures to brag or boast, but instead inspire people, myself included. Over this last weekend I had my two thirteen year old cousins and a few of their friends over for the first time. You should have seen their eyes! They were in a total world of amazement as I showed them where their favorite tabletop wargames and online RPG's had their origins. But, I also told them that they would one day way surpass all of this, and not to look at it as a shrine that could never be obtained, but instead as a launching point for their imagination.

I have lived through several hurricanes including Andrew and witnessed the death and destruction. But, what I learned from these events was that people not the government made all the difference. The daily human kindness not reported throughout these kinds of catastrophes makes one fall to their knees and thank God for just being alive.

Enzo Ferrari said on his deathbed only two words, "forget me", and as a youth this puzzled me, but as an adult I truly understand these words. It simply means that it really doesn't matter… life is going to go on and move forward; it's always been that way.

To ALL that have been affected but this storm, be strong, have faith, and help one another. Our thoughts, prayers, and support are with you…

Mike

Winterwords wrote:

BTW, IO, you sill haven't have said if you'd adopt me. I'm house trained

*Considers* :roll:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:02 pm 

Here is a question for ya Mike.  Not including *unique* items, is there anything out there that you don't currently own, that you are looking for e.g 1st print Dwarven Glory. Just curious. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:04 pm 

(1st Chain, IIRC. or maybe that's another recent acquisition I don't know about... ;))

*looks around the shelves*

=

Don't see any white boxes or oB3s, either. (About the same price these days, thanks to da creep :P).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:11 pm 

*stops mid post*

David nailed it.

I'll trade you the "missing" Cupric text for your copy D 8O :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:38 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:*stops mid post*

David nailed it.

I'll trade you the "missing" Cupric text for your copy D 8O :D

Good try! ;)

Yes. A slightly frustrating gap that, but I'll have to live with it, as with the Revenaunt...

Hrmm: does that mean you weren't tempted by the two squillion dollars after that CoC thread died down? (Crazy cultists :P).

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, Mike. After that latest eBay sale, the 2nd print should be worth more than the 1st; and then you should be able to do a trade. (weird valuation system 8O)

With the original Blackmoor connection that's one I'm going to be holding on to even more than usual, but you never know when a "spare" might come along...

-

Oh, I take it you don't have all nine (or ten?) white box sets as well as the majority of woodgrains between y'all? :D

Or d'you have enough space for all those dups? (If you've got all the supplement printings, please let me know, too...)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:23 pm 

grodog bumping himself wrote:That is one beautifully-rendered Underdark map, Mike---truly worthy of hanging in such august company! Do you often create such nice maps? If so, we (the royal, Different Worlds "we") may be able to put you to work :D

PS - any chance you have a "Treasure of the Dragon Queen" hiding in there somewhere, Mike?

Now that we're back to ogling IO's lair....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:12 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:My collection is on a portable hard drive. The items in my collection that I simply must have hard copies of are all in the one box. All the other boxes are either things to be scanned, or things that have been scanned and are waiting to go back on eBay.

My ultimate goal is one box of stuff, the rest scans. I have yet to actually scan anything, though.  :D

Last edited by Zenopus on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:26 am 

I have purchased scans from DrivethruRPG.  The scan are handy because you can print out what you need, make notes, mix and match without wrecking your originals.

Still...there is something about owning an original publication....   8)

Also, unless there is some sort of cataclysm that wipes out most computer records....I just don't see sharing an online community discussion with people who collect scans.   :(

And I still say that that underworld map is the coolest thing in the IO's collection.   :wink:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 am 

i guess its one of them "each to their own" situations. me? i like the real deal. there is nothing to compare, to holding the actual original item for me.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:18 am 

killjoy32 wrote:mine kinda takes up a room, but i have it all inventoried - which is almost complete

Hey, Alan. If one of those tornados touches down in your neighbourhood, you collection would be all over town. I was down your neck of the woods last Thursday. You have great traffic down there. You must have twice as many cars as we do in sunny Scotland.

zhowar1 wrote:Hey, this would be my ultimate goal, too! One box of stuff, the rest scans. I have yet to actually scan anything, though.

I have practically my whole collection scanned (90% of which is non-TSR), but then my whole collection would fit in IO's closet, or maybe his bin. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:mine kinda takes up a room, but i have it all inventoried - which is almost complete

Hey, Alan. If one of those tornados touches down in your neighbourhood, you collection would be all over town. I was down your neck of the woods last Thursday. You have great traffic down there. You must have twice as many cars as we do in sunny Scotland.

zhowar1 wrote:Hey, this would be my ultimate goal, too! One box of stuff, the rest scans. I have yet to actually scan anything, though.

I have practically my whole collection scanned (90% of which is non-TSR), but then my whole collection would fit in IO's closet, or maybe his bin. :D

Well hey, bring on several tornadoes please - my stuff is well and truly insured and inventoried and logged in several places, so would welcome a nice insurance claim anyday thankyou very much :D

bar for losing a few very precious items that i really would miss, it wouldnt bother me too much - all the more reason to start all over again :D

and yeah youre right, we have some pretty bad traffic down here, specially in busy hours - it can be horrendous. you should have let me know and you could have popped over for a chat.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:06 am 

bbarsh wrote:I think the topic drifted into what would happen if all your stuff was destroyed in some sort of catastrophic event...

I have my stuff on various lists, but that is about it. It is time to break out the digital camera or camcorder and make a true record of my collection. It certainly is not even close to IOs, but I would estimate I am in the 10K club as far as value goes.

Anybody else have this sort of thought?

I'm slow committing my collection to memory.  Everyday, I pray I don't win another auction.  :lol:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:09 am 

That brings up a question.

If disaster did strike, and all was lost, what would you miss the most?

This is not a value (cash) question, but more specifically which item(s) do you hold most important.

For me it is gonna be my basic set (3rd print) and M&T set 4-6. All are worn from use and the box still holds several early home made dungeons and my well worn - mostly round - dice. It was all I had for about a year until I got my PHB and then on to the rest. But we played practically every night that summer (1978). For me, that stuff is not replaceable - copies just would not be the same.

PreviousNext