IO’s Little Castle, and the Politics of Natural Disasters
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:18 am 

Yes, it is. Can anyone guess what the tall book is in the 5th picture?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:02 am 

No idea what that book is, but I was highly interested in all the Judges Guild stuff in that collection.  Go JG!

Interesting to see a Dragon #1 posted over the paint room!

An awesome spectactle!  Astounding.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:16 am 

After looking at all the pictures I am truly speechless...wow  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:42 am 

I feel like Bilbo placating Smaug.....

"Dazzling!  Stupendous!  Amazing!"

I wonder if I will notice a bare patch among the scales in the bottom of the Invincibleoverlord's chest?

Those game publications all look in pretty good condition considering that I suspect you pile them up and sleep on them!   8)

"Deep down in the heart of the mountain, Smaug awoke.  He looked about and noticed that Palace of the Silver Princess was missing!"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:49 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:If my colection reached a stage where I had to buy another house to put it in, my wife would bury me in it. :D Alan, you must be needing a new pad for your JG collection.

well it pretty much takes up one room that does - nothing like mike's tho :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:57 am 

chromaticknight wrote:8O Incredible 8O

One question. What type of shelving did you use for the boxed sets and hardbacks etc. They dont show any signs of bowing at all. Even over a descent span. For future reference of course :D

Mike

Yeah it is a sight to see, and with 3 sets of Tac Cards :)

I am also wondering what kind of shelving was used? I need a better set of bookshelves badly.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:39 am 

Plaag wrote:
chromaticknight wrote:8O Incredible 8O

One question. What type of shelving did you use for the boxed sets and hardbacks etc. They dont show any signs of bowing at all. Even over a descent span. For future reference of course :D

Mike

Yeah it is a sight to see, and with 3 sets of Tac Cards :)

I am also wondering what kind of shelving was used? I need a better set of bookshelves badly.

ShaneG.

yeah we should have an Acaeumcon :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:15 am 

Amazing, truly amazing and wonderful. You have created something very special and set high standards for future "museum projects"...

IO, this is the combined collection of how many collectors?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:49 pm 

Thanks again for the continued complements!!

Chromaticknight wrote:

One question. What type of shelving did you use for the boxed sets and hardbacks etc. They dont show any signs of bowing at all. Even over a descent span. For future reference of course

Can't wait to see that future reference! :D

The shelving was custom made by Shawn, Pete and myself. Most all of the wood is pine leftover form other construction jobs and painted with antique-brown paint. Almost all of the building materials used for the hall was scrap from other projects.

Call me the "frugal Gamer" :lol:

Plaag wrote:

Yeah it is a sight to see, and with 3 sets of Tac Cards

2 sets, the green set is the Character Chronicle Cards

Ralf Toth wrote:

IO, this is the combined collection of how many collectors?

There are three main contributors, Shawn, Pete, and myself. However many others over the years have donated their collections to our project.

We also have a pool of about ten gamers that play regularly. All gave their time to helping put this together.

Grodog wrote:

What's the third map on the metal (?) chalkboard (I noticed the magnets, a nice way to maintain the integrity of the pieces!). It looks like the Nile River delta, sort of, but I don't recognize it. If you're going to put up some other neat-looking maps for display, the EPT ones and/or DR would be nicely compliment the GH maps

Thanks, we've used the sheet metal for years, and as you've noticed no pin holes! The other two maps are Tegel Manor and a map I drew for a Forgotten Realms Underdark campaign.

mbassoc2003 wrote:

Any chance of some photos of the items we'll never get to own? The lizard mini? Dice? What's in the picture frames?

Here's a few more pics

The two glass incased documents are the tournament module "The Sunken City" by Robert Kuntz for Gen Con 8, and the original handwritten notes on the alignment system by Stephen Marsh.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:51 pm 

Of all the handiworks and collecting treasures in your lair, Invincibleoverlord, the one I admire the most is that map you made for your Underdark campaign.  

Shelves are cool and collecting is grand, but that map is the work of someone I would like to know.   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:59 pm 

The UD map is indeed darn cool :)

What's the siginifigance of "the dice" and the lizard miniature? :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:24 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:We would also just like to thank God for keeping us safe during our quick brush with hurricane Katrina. All of our friends and families in the South Florida area were affected in some way by this storm. However; we have in know way suffered in the manner of or brothers and sisters of Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Our thoughts and prayers as well as our support are with you.

Great den Mike. Sub-zero cool 8)

But also glad to hear that you, and friends and family are all OK. It puts things into perspective.

I haven't been paying much attention to the news this week. And I am absolutely shocked by the reports that there might thousands of people who have died BBC NEWS | Americas | Katrina airlift rescues thousands

My heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives in the disaster, while waiting for help to arrive, or as a result of some of the violence in the aftermath.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:12 am 

johnhuck wrote:
My heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives in the disaster, while waiting for help to arrive, or as a result of some of the violence in the aftermath.

i have a very good friend who lives in Covington, just north of New Orleans. They are at a friends atm 17 hours north west of there, while things calm down n stuff. the stories i have been told are harrowing to say the very least. i tell you what you guys, you should be ashamed of that government of yours. to let your own suffer like that and not throw every resource possible at it is shameful.

its a very sad state of affairs aint it :(

Al

<edit> saying that, i am glad mike and his lots are well and least damage was caused as possible under the circumstances. some of that stuff there is irreplacable.  :?

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:24 am 

killjoy32 wrote: i have a very good friend who lives in Covington, just north of New Orleans. They are at a friends atm 17 hours north west of there, while things calm down n stuff. the stories i have been told are harrowing to say the very least. i tell you what you guys, you should be ashamed of that government of yours. to let your own suffer like that and not throw every resource possible at it is shameful.

its a very sad state of affairs aint it :(

Al

Let first off say that I feel completely awful and I sympathise totally with the poor folks who suffered horribly due to this great tradgedy and utter devastaion. With that being said, without trying to turn this into a complete political discussion, but unfortunately there is A LOT of blame to go around. It is an absolute disgace and complete embarassment that it almost 5 days before there was any kind of real relief presence there, but saying that everyone and I mean everyone was told to GET OUT. They went door to door 3 days before the storm hit and told people that if you stayed in the cuity that you were going to die :!: Now obviously, not everyone had the means to escape the storm, so you really have to feel bad for them, but there were also thousands upon thousands of people who decided to "stay and tough it out". :roll: To those people I really find it hard to sypathize with, you kind of get what you deserve in that situation. Then on top of everything else, and probably the most embarassing aspect of it all is complete and utter chaos that has been wreaked in the aftermath of the storm. Here we are supposedly the bastion of freedom and the worlds only supposed "superpower" or whatever and people are acting like complete animals down looting stores and shooting people and the rescuers and raping women. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: You would think that this was some 3rd world country who feckin didnt know the difference. what a disgrace. :oops: Anybody who is interested in reading a first hand account of both the lead up to and aftermath of the storm, here is a blog of somebody who stayed in the city in thier high rise office building. If anything it makes for an interesting but sad read:

Interdictor - August 28th, 2005

Also for those intested here is a link to lots of pictures taken by these folks out the windows of the surrounding area. If you didnt already know that they were real, you would have a hard time beleiving that this was straight out of futuristic disastor movie:

sigmund.biz at Directnic

Sorry for the complete OT post. Back to our regualry scheduled I/O worshipping. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:44 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:

What's the siginifigance of "the dice" and the lizard miniature?

The dice are Robert Kuntz's original gamming dice.

Paul wrote:

Rob's dice, yes the ones that laid Mordenkainen low in Maure castle over 30 years ago, the same ones that determined that a gated Zeus wanted nothing to do with helping Erac and Ayelarach on Demonworld against Fraz-Urb'luu, the ones that saved Jim Ward's wizard Bombadil from an untimely death at the hands of Yeenoghu while retrieving the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd, the ones that were rolled to shatter the doors of Zuggutmoy's prison, the one's that rolled successful dispels to free the 9 demigods imprisoned within Greyhawk Castle, the ones that helped Robilar survive the first playtest of Tomb of Horrors and WIN the lich's treasures!!! (Hold on the dice are glowing and floating around the room again!)

I love this description! :lol:

The lizardman miniature was one of only a handful made by Grenadier Models Inc. depicting the TSR logo that helped solicit the contract for producing miniatures. It formally belonged to David Sutherland.

Bclarkie wrote:

Sorry for the complete OT post.

Don't feel sorry…and feel free to vent. This is going to affect us for sometime.

Back to our regualry scheduled I/O worshipping.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm your brother Robin Hood, not Thulsa Doom…

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:48 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:

The dice are Robert Kuntz's original gamming dice.

That's very cool. Figured they had to be something special :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:19 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:
Back to our regualry scheduled I/O worshipping.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm your brother Robin Hood, not Thulsa Doom…

Never saw you down south when I was living over the hill from Loxley; nor here, now, in Bram Stoker country. *jk*

REH connection I can't manage, sorry, although that's a neat jab at a certain avvy above (if deliberate ;))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:01 pm 

harami2000 wrote:REH connection I can't manage, sorry, although that's a neat jab at a certain avvy above (if deliberate ;))

What is an "avvy?"

PreviousNext