IO’s Little Castle, and the Politics of Natural Disasters
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:02 pm 

Thanks Ralf, I've always enjoyed doing fantasy art, as well as painting miniatures. The Dragon playing chess is actually a depiction from one of our longest running campaigns. My friend Ken who's much better at grammar than me - as I'm sure you guys have noticed I'm not the best. He likes to write out our campaign storyline, and on occasion I do illustrations.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:26 am 

IO's maps are truly superb; I've always enjoyed seeing other DM's homemade campaign world maps.  

It reminds me of my World of Greyhawk maps... not the ones that came in the TSR folder/box set, but one an ex-girlfriend, who was an artist, color penciled a fantastic replica of the map so I could erase country names, borders, cities, etc. as WoG campaign developed.  I think she did a better job than Darlene's original.   :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:14 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:
grodog wrote:More pics would be fun, as well as useful to check out!

Allan, here is a pic of another map, local elevations, and an architectural rendering. I also do sketches in the classical D&D style, but I'm sure that's right up your alley. :P :lol:

Very nice work :D :D Where did you get the gigantic sheets of graph paper?  I'm not much of an artist, and my maps are not nearly as nice as yours: see my rendition of the second level beneath the ruined monastary from the 1eDMG at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... averns.pdf

and my set of 3 S4 maps that outline the relationships between the levels and the various hidden entrances/exits/etc. at   http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/temp/S4-maps.pdf

invincibleoverlord wrote:
grodog wrote:My brother Brian and I were so jazzed when I was back in NJ for my brother Phil's wedding back in May: we found not only my box of old RJK and EGG correspondance from 1987-88, but we found Phil's folder of PCs, too, which had been lost for several years (though not as long as the RJK/EGG stuff). Hopefully we'll find Brian's PCs too, since we're planning to surprise Phil for Xmas with a few days of gaming! We're going to block off the old alcove where our gaming table is with a japanese screen or somesuch, and let him "unwrap" it, which will reveal a table laid out with dice, miniatures, his found PCs, books, and DM screen at the ready! Hopefully it'll be fun (now I just have to write the adventure...).

That sounds like you had a blast! And the upcoming trip sounds amazing as well! BTW, did you read my post before leaving on your last trip to NJ? I forget what thread, but it was one where you said you were hoping to find a TotDQ.

My suggestion was hitting up a few of the local game store's message boards with groups of older players looking for the like (AD&D - 1st edition game - Sunday nights, etc.). Their phone numbers are right there for the taking, and I've been able to acquire some cool stuf in this manner before. Who knows… maybe a local has one tucked away :roll: . It's a bit of a stretch, but when all other avenues have been exhausted…drastic measures are called for. :twisted:

That does ring bells, yes. The last time I was in NJ we didn't get to rummage around old game shops as much as I would have liked to, but I hope to fix that this time around!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:19 am 

And with the new hurricane Rita reaching the US mainland today, I sincerely hope that BadMike and the other Acaeum members from the Texas area are safe from the storm. Good thing we have no hurricanes in Germany!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:10 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:And with the new hurricane Rita reaching the US mainland today, I sincerely hope that BadMike and the other Acaeum members from the Texas area are safe from the storm. Good thing we have no hurricanes in Germany!

But you do have The Scorpions...and they certainly can "Rock You Like A Hurricane" :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:29 pm 

Well, I'll be flying into your lovely sunny country tomorrow. Going to marry my GF in a little village just south of Miami. Orlando I think its called. A bit of a mouse problem I hear. Anyways, two weeks in sunny Orlandosville and hopefully no more of that crappy weather you've been having.

I guess global warming does exist, Mr President, Sir.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:38 pm 

IO- I would seriously pay money to spend time perusing your collection. What an awe inspiring display. *flabbergasted* My puddly collection sits on two shelves in the bookcase in my bedroom and they're not even full.

(Man I wish I had friends like you. I haven't roleplayed since the 80's and the friends I have simply never gamed and have very closed minds or simply grew out of it.)

I have some really stupid and basic questions...(please excuse my ignorance but I'm really fascinated...)

Is this the Acaeum museum or just your private collection? I would assume this is just the basement of your house and not some stand alone establishment but your description made it sound like it was not your house but a shared space with some friends?  

You mention some other collectors as having contributed to the display are they Acaeum members/ administrators? Do you give tours? Fantasy camps for gamers? LOL!

Have any of the original TSR guys ever gotten a chance to visit your collection? I bet seeing much of that stuff would bring back some pretty strong memories and you'd get more than a few great stories. If you ever have that happen record it!

Do you collect ICE/ MERP stuff or strictly TSR related items?  If so what are some of the rare ICE products you have or are looking for?

moron with money

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:48 pm 

Albino, I can only think of one MERP item off the top of my head that might be really rare, Armies of Eriador. I'm still trying to finish up my MERP, but all the books come up fairly regularly.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:24 pm 

IO. Did you actually buy a house to put your collection in?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:19 pm 

Rita hasn't even hit yet, and the media is already pushing the black/Hispanic/poor angle. Truly amazing. The fact that we tolerate this stupid shit makes me ashamed to be an American.

Who in here is in the area of the 'cane?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:05 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Rita hasn't even hit yet, and the media is already pushing the black/Hispanic/poor angle. Truly amazing. The fact that we tolerate this stupid shit makes me ashamed to be an American.

This is the hurricane Katrina thread, quit posting off-topic!  :P

[edit]Title's been changed, I stand corrected.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:54 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Who in here is in the area of the 'cane?

I'm about 30 miles east of Houston so I'll be catching a bit of nasty weather, though be no means the worst of it.  Still, we're expecting power loss and possibly some flooding in the area.  The people I feel sorry for are the ones still sitting on the freeways trying to get out of town... that's turning out to be a really bad situation.  There have been quite a few deaths already.   :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:43 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Rita hasn't even hit yet, and the media is already pushing the black/Hispanic/poor angle. Truly amazing. The fact that we tolerate this stupid shit makes me ashamed to be an American.

What really pisses me off is George Bush arranging for two massive hurricanes so close together.

I mean, please....if the president really must persecute poor, black and Hispanic people he should have at least caused the hurricanes to appear at no closer than one month intervals, so all of us rich white people could complete our secret plans to remain immune to nature.

You would have thought that the president would hold off for a month or two to make sure no one catches on to his true goal.

I do, however, commend him for arranging to screw up all of Texas with a huge traffic jam.  Good job, George!  Keep on popping those tires and switching road signs!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:59 pm 

Alright for shits and giggles,  I pulled most(about 90%) of my modest sized collection out tonight and took some pics. Not quite as impressive or nearly as organized, but it works for me :) I ma sure once I get out of this apartment and into a house, I will be able to shelve it and make it more museum like. Also, keep in mind that every box that I have in these pictures is absolutely filled to the top. I do have over 200 individual originally shrink wrapped itmes. Some of this stuff is going to be sold in the next few months, but here is bclarkie's modest lair as it stands now:

Please fell free to make rude comments ridicule me and to laugh out loud. :wink:

Anyone want to make me an offer. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:25 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

I've seen collections like that go for around $100 on ebay, I'll give ya $110 if you'll ship for free.   :P

Kidding Aside, Great collection!  My stuff is so "creatively organized" right now pictures would be embarassing.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:37 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

I've seen collections like that go for around $100 on ebay, I'll give ya $110 if you'll ship for free.  :P

Kidding Aside, Great collection! My stuff is so "creatively organized" right now pictures would be embarassing.

*looks over at own ever-more-pitiful looking collection*  :(

And even I would bid more than $500 on that!  There's a frickin' woodgrain in there!  And a beer!  :P

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:48 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

I've seen collections like that go for around $100 on ebay, I'll give ya $110 if you'll ship for free. :P

Kidding Aside, Great collection! My stuff is so "creatively organized" right now pictures would be embarassing.

$120.00 and its sold. :o :twisted: :P

deimos3428 wrote:

... And a beer! :P....

Now that is the 2nd time today you made me almost fall out of my chair from laughing. :lol:

*points above to the post about DL posting off topic*.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:01 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:

... And a beer! :P....

Now that is the 2nd time today you made me almost fall out of my chair from laughing. :lol:

*points above to the post about DL posting off topic*.

Sorry man.  It's a slow eBay night, gotta pass the time somehow. :)

I'm seriously thinking of breaking the camera out.  My collection would all fit in one photo, though.

YIM  
PreviousNext