IO’s Little Castle, and the Politics of Natural Disasters
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:58 pm 

The new lair isn't quite finished, but I thought I'd take a few snaps of how it's going. The remainder of the work is cosmetic and technical and each of these projects should be completed over the next few months.

We would also just like to thank God for keeping us safe during our quick brush with hurricane Katrina. All of our friends and families in the South Florida area were affected in some way by this storm. However; we have in know way suffered in the manner of or brothers and sisters of Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Our thoughts and prayers as well as our support are with you.

Ironically…The new hall which we've dubbed "The Little Castle" was the only place unaffected by the storm. All of our homes and business's either were without power for extended days or sustained damage. Pete and I road out the storm there, and the power never failed and communications remained open. The storms path was erratic as it made land fall and then making its way inland, but we were always able to have a radar view its direction while many panicked loved ones called into us periodically after their power or cable had failed. I've been through several storms and the wind gusts going every direction make it impossible to know if it's coming or going. So we were lucky to have been able to help in a small way.

Over the next week "The Little Castle" became home to our friends and family. Each night we would gather there "bunker style" while power was being restored. There was lots of miniature painting, movies, and games. Even the girlfriends and wives got into it 8O :D . Life's getting back to normal now, and we are again thankful and lucky to have such a place.

Mike

These are just a few snaps with my cheep digital camera. My friend's wife is a photographer and once everything is finished up she's going to shoot the place for our website.

The above three are the main room for setting up large miniature battles.

The above two are the arched hallway entrance to the game room, art room, and bathroom.

The above three are various shots of the art room.

The above three are shoots of the game room. It is set up with twenty-four different light settings; including torches, lanterns, a fire place, various colored overhead and rope lighting choices, as well as special effects all at the DM's fingertips. The computer controls an advanced audio sampler able to mix, match, and loop audio samples in real time. The computer will also control video clips sent to a 30' monitor being installed between the lanterns in the next few days.

A truly amazing RPG experience!

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:29 pm 

Incredible!!!....I'm simply awestruck....love how the rares are displayed throughout on the top shelf! A true gamer's paradise!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:30 pm 

Nice!

Two questions:  Are those the dice on the ledge next to the woody?  And where are the "hands off!" signs?

Wow, well done, Mike!  My fingers are itching...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:02 pm 

Bravo!

I am awe struck and inspired at the same time.

You've succeeded in creating a little slice of heaven  :D

Is there anything more that you would change / add?

Cheers,

Curt

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:06 pm 

Please adopt me.

:D

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:07 pm 

hey mike

a truly incredible effort - one of which i just cannot even put into words.

once its finished, i am soooo coming to see it for real !! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:56 pm 

Neat, Mike... :D

*tries to peer around the corners and into the glass-fronted display cabinet*

Hope you were darned careful packing the PotVQ back up again? Those pages love to get their corners dented inside the folder, or conveniently fall into the fold just as it closes...

Hey, and if that ain't the reddest Tegel I've ever seen. :P

(Nice to see the JG Journals on "top shelf", too).

Oh, and an excellent environment for gaming, no doubt. ;)

Winterwords wrote:Please adopt me.

:D

*lol* :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:40 pm 

Take those pictures, print them and put them in fireproof safe! If that place ever burns - or floods - your insurance will cover all that stuff!

Well done ideed. I love the Outdoor Survival on the same shelf as the Woody :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:50 pm 

First, thanks for everyone's complements, and I've extended this thanks to all that have helped put this together. Many hours of labor were put into the project before even the first gamming item arrived.

From the whole gang,

Thanks again

Afoolandhis$ wrote:

Two questions:  Are those the dice on the ledge next to the woody?

Yes... those are the dice. Good eyes! Did you also notice the TSR Lizard miniature as well? It's another cool little treat.

And where are the "hands off!" signs?

If it comes to that I will.  :lol:  

CGOULD42 wrote:

Is there anything more that you would change / add?

Yes, there are several things planned for the future. The area beyond the kitchen is going to be made into a home theater room. As well, the entire back wall in the room is going to compose of an early-style TSR mural several artists and I are going to paint. The paintings (four in total), but comprising of one flowing theme will depict a vast landscape of the Dungeons & Dragons experience. We will be drawing upon the early artists and our old school folders for inspiration.  8O  :lol:

Harami wrote:

Hope you were darned careful packing the PotVQ back up again? Those pages love to get their corners dented inside the folder, or conveniently fall into the fold just as it closes...

I'm keen to that…been there a few times. Thanks for noticing. :)  I thought I'd set out a few rares just for laughs.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:36 pm 

I'm not an expert like you guys but ...

I think that it'll be difficult to sleep tonight.

Dreams of a gamer and of a collector, you know.

Now I feel the same awe that I've felt when I've read Aristotle's Metaphysics for the first time :)  :)

With my English I cannot explain what I really think ...

It's simply great. Beyond any word.

Great.

Giorgio

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:06 pm 

Mike, its good to hear (and see  :wink: ) that you guys came out of the hurricane okay. :D  I do hope though that you have a pretty extensive security system there though, as you would want any random gamers to come along and, um...well help themselves to a few of your items. 8O 8O  8O   Seriously though, it doesnt get much better than that. As a matter of fact it probably I probably would have a 10 out 10 except I see a bunch of 3rd edition stuff in there. :twisted:  :P  {j/k}

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:15 pm 

Erk.. absolutely awesome! Even without that "Dwarven Glory" you sent me! Now if only I didn't have to keep all my goodies in the original packaging and permanently locked away to stop my 3yr old from getting at them...

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:22 pm 

... wowsa. Like someone else said, photograph that in [b]excruciating[b] detail, and put the pictures in a fireproof safe. And make sure your homeowners insurance covers "Godlike gaming collection, worth more than you'd believe."  ;)

And if I can somehow convince a hurricane to hit Vancouver, can I come stay there for a few years while it goes away?  :o

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:01 pm 

Very nice Mike :D :D

What's the third map on the metal (?) chalkboard (I noticed the magnets, a nice way to maintain the integrity of the pieces!).  It looks like the Nile River delta, sort of, but I don't recognize it.  If you're going to put up some other neat-looking maps for display, the EPT ones and/or DR would be nicely compliment the GH maps.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:26 am 

Very nice, indeed something for us all to live up to.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:36 am 

8O  Incredible  8O

One question. What type of shelving did you use for the boxed sets and hardbacks etc. They dont show any signs of bowing at all.  Even over a descent span. For future reference of course  :D

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:16 am 

If my colection reached a stage where I had to buy another house to put it in, my wife would bury me in it. :D Alan, you must be needing a new pad for your JG collection.

Any chance of some photos of the items we'll never get to own? The lizard mini? Dice? What's in the picture frames? And what's that to the left of the Gideon Chainmail?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:13 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:And what's that to the left of the Gideon Chainmail?

I kinda presumed that was his predecessor, Shamgar Haubergeon; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200504123

Next