Local bookshops
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:21 pm 

Seems like we had a thread like this before, but I couldn't find it.  

I'm in Tucson for the rest of the week.  Anyone know of a good used rpg bookstore in town?

Thanks,

Stephen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:05 pm 

Hey there - I used to live in Tucson. Back then I hadn't rediscovered RPG's and didn't pay much attention. However, I did collect books and the very BEST used book stores I have ever seen are Bookman's.

Two locations (one on Grant Road, one on . . . well, it seems I forget, but it's on the North side of town, in the phone book, etc.)

They are just massive sprawling centers of well-organized used books. Good prices too, mostly.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:00 pm 

Thanks, I'll check it out today.

How about Las Vegas?  I'll be there over the weekend.  Any good rpg shops there?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:36 pm 

Ummm. . . I've been to Vegas 4 times . . . Circus, Circus has single and double deck blackjack tables.  Heck, Blackjack is good in a lot of places.

You can play all night . . . and all day . . .

Didn't notice much else . . .

8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:59 pm 

hehe, yeah, got to be careful on that front.

Does anybody know whether Larry Schick ever lived in Arizona?  I picked up a first print PHB in Tucson today with "Schick 42973" written on the front fly leaf.  Just curious, but it would be kind of cool...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:59 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:Ummm. . . I've been to Vegas 4 times . . . Circus, Circus has single and double deck blackjack tables. Heck, Blackjack is good in a lot of places.

You can play all night . . . and all day . . .

Didn't notice much else . . .

8)

hey i stayed in Circus Circus!!! cool hotel that - lots of fun.

i got married in Las Vegas too - was a blast - til i got home and realised what i'd done *sigh* :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:59 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:How about Las Vegas? I'll be there over the weekend. Any good rpg shops there?

You don't half get around, Stephen!

Sorry, don't know about RPG shops there, but I remember the cats being friendlier over in Pahrump. :?

Good luck hunting (and if ya find any spare 1st PHBs, please let us know! ;))

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:36 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:How about Las Vegas? I'll be there over the weekend. Any good rpg shops there?

You don't half get around, Stephen!

Sorry, don't know about RPG shops there, but I remember the cats being friendlier over in Pahrump. :?

BTW, I also picked up a nice copy of a 1st print MM.  

How about Schick?  Does anyone know if he ever lived in AZ?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:59 pm 

I'm in Washington, D.C. for the week.  Anyone know of any good used rpg bookstores in town?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:16 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
harami2000 wrote:You don't half get around, Stephen!

BTW, I also picked up a nice copy of a 1st print MM.

How about Schick? Does anyone know if he ever lived in AZ?

8O  8O  8O I'm living in the wrong city.  That was way too easy...

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:19 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:BTW, I also picked up a nice copy of a 1st print MM.

How about Schick? Does anyone know if he ever lived in AZ?

8O 8O 8O I'm living in the wrong city. That was way too easy...

Hey, do I need reminding of this thread? :D

If you think you are living in the wilderness, Deimos? :o
(Less chance of finding a Tsoj here, methinks... I saw a solitary, slightly beat-up DMG in a charity shop a few months back and that's it. :( :()

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:31 am 

harami2000 wrote:If you think you are living in the wilderness, Deimos? :o
(Less chance of finding a Tsoj here, methinks... I saw a solitary, slightly beat-up DMG in a charity shop a few months back and that's it. :( :()

You think you've got it hard? (resists urge to do the Monty Python sketch :wink: ).  DMG?  I dream of finding one!  I've been in and out of charity shops for the past few years without even a whiff of a musty old B2.  :cry:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:43 am 

i found a G1-2-3 in a charity shop once - decent condition - 25p - so that wasnt bad - my only find tho

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:22 am 

johnhuck wrote:

You think you've got it hard? (resists urge to do the Monty Python sketch :wink: ). DMG? I dream of finding one! I've been in and out of charity shops for the past few years without even a whiff of a musty old B2. :cry:

(Doesn't resist) A musty old B2!  Luxury!  No modules for us at all, and we all had to roleplay trees!  My group, all 328 of us, would crowd into our shoebox to game, and the DM would beat us to death with a jagged d4!

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:43 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:You think you've got it hard? (resists urge to do the Monty Python sketch :wink: ). DMG? I dream of finding one! I've been in and out of charity shops for the past few years without even a whiff of a musty old B2. :cry:

(Doesn't resist) A musty old B2! Luxury! No modules for us at all, and we all had to roleplay trees! My group, all 328 of us, would crowd into our shoebox to game, and the DM would beat us to death with a jagged d4!

*brings out the holy handgrenade*

:lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:31 pm 

I don't check much, but the few times I have hit the area used book stores or larger charity shops I have come up empty. Nothing. But our church ran a large rummage sale and my wife actually spotted about 10 2nd edition books - mostly those crappy fighter, priests handbooks. But I picked up the lot for $10 (it was a donation thing) and flipped the stuff for about $35. Big freaking deal, but hey, it was something.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:33 pm 

johnhuck wrote:

You think you've got it hard? (resists urge to do the Monty Python sketch :wink: ). DMG? I dream of finding one! I've been in and out of charity shops for the past few years without even a whiff of a musty old B2. :cry:

and I thought I was going to get a new career out of charity shops.  I went into my first one with the intention of checking for D&D stuff a couple of weeks back and picked up a very good complete Dungeon board game and half a dozen Imagines for £3.   :D
Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:44 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:I went into my first one with the intention of checking for D&D stuff a couple of weeks back and picked up a very good complete Dungeon board game and half a dozen Imagines for £3.  :D
Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!

Perhaps so. :)
Never done that well, I'm sure, even when I was down south.

Books, no problem (anything up to a complete set of LotR in dustjackets); but not RPGs.
I'd guessed they were all flogged to friends, or via WD, etc., back in the "old days".

Next