Original D&D Box set and Supplement Index:  Is this TSR?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:05 pm 

I recently acquired this set and was wondering if any of you have ever come across the "Index to Dungeons & Dragons Volumes 1,2 and 3 and Supplements 1,2 ,3 and 4"

Is this thing homemade or is it TSR.  If it's TSR when did it come out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

moron with money

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:19 pm 

The index is home-made. The errata are legit TSR.

Frank Mentzer

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:58 pm 

Is it possibly an early draft of Arneson's DM's Index??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:49 pm 

If that index is homemade, perhaps it should be posted for everyone to see.  That might benefit some of us, like me, who don't necessarily have the patience for looking through six books to find something.

In any case, I know I would want a copy.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:36 am 

grodog wrote:Is it possibly an early draft of Arneson's DM's Index??

*g*. I had been thinking along that line, Allan, given the Arneson/Heritage Models connection ( Interesting Items Formerly on eBay • Page 5 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum) and that the stapling was stated to be the same.

I really couldn't have upped my bid any higher just on that hunch/possibility. Am already flooded under with 4th(-) prints here. :roll:

(aside to Mike <mdr003>: that's the same reference I was looking for re. TSR "slapping bans" on the competition, as you noted in that St. Andre/Supernova quote).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:21 pm 

Here are some pictures I took of index...

I can scan these this week but I'm not sure how to post/ host scans.  If someone wants to tell me how I'll do my best

moron with money

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:35 pm 

Thanks for the scans.

The listings content and format aren't a particularly good match for Dave's "Dungeonmaster's Index" (1977)- interesting "r" typo. too- although it's not beyond the realms of possibility someone else associated with Heritage Models might have created this precursor. (Could you please give the staples a good hard look and compare with the 4th- books. Also, is the booklet actually printed rather than typed?).

p.s. Oops; forgot that was your eBay handle when the set went back up for sale... :oops:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:03 pm 

The staples are the same size as the staples on the Correction Sheets (though obvously these had to be made after the box set as they refer to books that hadn't been written at that point).  The staples are smaller than the staples in Supplement 4 and further apart by a small margin than the ones in the Correction Sheets.   The staples are clearly old as they are starting to rust

It realy looks like it was typed on one of thos old pieces of copy paper and then reproduced as mine is clearly an old copy (it shows black specs from the copying process in random places).  

I would guess that since mine is a copy there must have been more and whoever made this distributed it to at least a handful of players.  I was hoping some of you guys had them and that they would have a good back story or perhaps the were inserts for 1st prints of Supplement 4 (which came in the same lot along with 1st prints of II and III.)  

Oh well, I guess they're of unknown origin until identified otherwise.   The original owner wrote his name on the booklets.  ANybody recognize the name... Robert Morefield?  He might know...

I can take pictures of the rest of the pages later tonight if any of you guys would find it helpful.

moron with money

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:50 pm 

Heh, heh... Well, I was going by a slightly less orthodox swap-over datewise for 4th to 5th print, but it helps if I remember the printer change from 3rd to 4th, too. (Happens when one doesn't step back to think... :roll:).

Your set was sold pretty much on the doorstep of where the 4th(-)s were printed, although the supplements would have had to travel in from TX.

And you've done that comparison for me.

No reason for doubting the index isn't "original" as there wasn't anything relevant in that sale from after mid-1976. Just a matter of seeing whether that could be pinned down further. Oh well... :(

(No luck with the name, either: had a browse through whilst the sale was on).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:00 pm 

myalbinogorilla wrote:Here are some pictures I took of index...

[image urls snipped for readability reasons]

I can scan these this week but I'm not sure how to post/ host scans. If someone wants to tell me how I'll do my best

If you weren't concerned about scanning them, you could just post the pictures of the whole index here on the thread, since you have photobucket.  Just make sure the pictures are in jpg or png so that they don't take forever to download and you're all set.

If you wanted to provide a link to a scanned copy, you would have to have some webspace to do it with, and geocities won't work (they don't allow remote linking).  Alternately, scanning the index into the computer using OCR on your scanner, you could turn the index into a HTML document and upload it to any space you wanted, whether geocities, fortunecity, or any of the other free webhosts.

Now, I do have some free webspace at my homestead account, and homestead does allow remote linking.  If you want to host it that way, I would be willing to put it up on my site for people to download.  Just PM me if that's an option you'd like to take.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:43 pm 

*bumps this one back up to jog memories*

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:43 pm 

Traveller-  I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to finishing off this index.  I'm on it!  I'll post the rest really soon.  I promise.

moron with money

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:23 pm 

*shakes my head*...yeah and I'm a fool for bugging you about it.  If anyone should be sorry, it should be me for harping on it.

So, I'm sorry for sounding like an antsy fanboy in PM. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:12 pm 

Wow, this is really cool, thanks for posting and letting us know it exists.

Cheers!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:37 am 

Any update available on this index?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:20 am 

Hi ya!!! Not meaning to nag, just curious is all.  Thanks!