Does anybody know Frank Mentzer?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:53 pm 

I sent mr. Mentzer (after getting permission and with the caveat "I'm quite busy at the moment") an interview sopme months ago. I attempted to contact him a couple of times regarding the status of the interview, but received no response (the last time was via Acaeum PM system). Is there anybody talking regularly with mr. Mentzer (in friendly terms) willing to help me a little in receiving an answer from him? I'm not accusing mr. Mentzer of anything, I'd like simply to get an answer, "NO WAY" or whatever... 8O

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:14 pm 

I have met him at Origins here in Columbus but could not say I know him. He does the auctions at Origins (July) and GenCon (August) so he probably has been really busy for at least two weeks. If it were me I might wait another week or two and then try to contact him again after he has had time to get caught up on his emails and the like.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:01 pm 

He posts regularly on Dragonsfoot, so you might want to go there and ask him, once he's had time to get back into his routine from GenCon.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:29 pm 

Hey Sotto,

I don't know him, but you might have better luck if you DON'T identify yourself as being affiliated with this site.  I know, he posts here, but...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:43 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Hey Sotto,

I don't know him, but you might have better luck if you DON'T identify yourself as being affiliated with this site. I know, he posts here, but...

Stephen, could you please explain ... As far as I can tell Frank is an honest and open guy.  8)

I can see no reason why being affiliated with this site would be a negative when talking to Frank.   8O

Sotto, if you look carefully on this site you will find Frank's contact details .. why not give him a call?

Improv

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:19 pm 

Frank has a Q&A thread on Dragonsfoot right here.

Dragonsfoot • View topic - Q&A With Frank Mentzer. Part 1

He posts to it quite often.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:51 pm 

improvstone wrote:Sotto, if you look carefully on this site you will find Frank's contact details .. why not give him a call?

Improv

A call? From Italy?  8O  :wink:  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:53 pm 

Marlith wrote:I have met him at Origins here in Columbus but could not say I know him. He does the auctions at Origins (July) and GenCon (August) so he probably has been really busy for at least two weeks. If it were me I might wait another week or two and then try to contact him again after he has had time to get caught up on his emails and the like.

That's fine, but I emailed to his personal address the last time two months ago and got no answer...  :cry:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:56 pm 

improvstone wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Hey Sotto,

I don't know him, but you might have better luck if you DON'T identify yourself as being affiliated with this site. I know, he posts here, but...

Stephen, could you please explain ... As far as I can tell Frank is an honest and open guy. 8)

I can see no reason why being affiliated with this site would be a negative when talking to Frank. 8O

Referring back to this thread, perhaps. Probably no big deal in the greater scheme of things. (?)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:19 pm 

No, sorry guys, I didn't intend to impugn Frank's name or reputation.  I only meant that even though he posts here he might not want remarks attributed to him on this website.  I guess I was jumping to unjustified conclusions about Sotto's interview.  My apologies.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:25 pm 

Hrmph.

I haven't done the Origins auction lately; they don't seem to want a quality show.

I'm very accessible but very busy, and interviews etc. demand attention and time.

btw, I plugged Acaeum several times AND used your compiled data for verification of print runs etc. on several ultrarares. Good show.

Frank

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:44 pm 

:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:45 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
btw, I plugged Acaeum several times AND used your compiled data for verification of print runs etc. on several ultrarares. Good show.

Frank

sounds like you did a quality job frank, good show! great listing of the gen con auctions that....was very good reading and quite interesting too!

i think i am gonna plan forward for next year and get saving too...i really would like to go!

there were definately some items on that list there that i would really have liked, especially at the prices they were won at!

oh well maybe next time :)

Alan

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:35 pm 

fyi, I've been in touch with Sotterraneo and we'll handle it and he's calmed down. (Gotta love those Italians... we did a broad tour of Italy, winging it / no tour groups, for our honeymoon a few years back.)

I think we can consider this handled. Everybody relax. ;>

F

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:35 pm 

I guess he did find someone who knows Frank Mentzer.    :P

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:58 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I guess he did find someone who knows Frank Mentzer.  :P

Frank who? :D :D :D :D :D

(j/k)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:03 am 

ExTSR wrote:fyi, I've been in touch with Sotterraneo and we'll handle it and he's calmed down. (Gotta love those Italians... we did a broad tour of Italy, winging it / no tour groups, for our honeymoon a few years back.)

I think we can consider this handled. Everybody relax. ;>

But I wasn't upset  :D , just curious  :wink: