Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 111123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:23 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
dbartman wrote:Believe it or not, some people don't want others to know that the have a bunch of extremely valuable items around their home. Case in point, would you broadcast to the world that you had a $2500.00 diamond ring laying on your bookshelf? Probably not…

And I'm sure whoever it was is going to be really enthusiastic to reveal their identity, after this thread.

The sellers has apparently determined for sure that it's not a shill bidder. I'm honestly really surprised at all the venom being thrown around because someone wants to stay anonymous.

Now whoever it is gets to decide whether they want to bid again, using their normal eBay ID, and get blasted by folks here after the auction is over. Whee.

I guess that you missed the part where the "anonymous" bidders name is cuattheacaeumboys. I state again, that if someone was really trying to be anonymous they would have chosen an anonymous name.....

With that, this conversation has really been beat to death, lets move on to something more interesting. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:24 pm 

dbartman wrote:Bummer, any reason behind blocking you? Perhaps you already discussed elsewhere and I missed it.

I saw the international bids and for some reason presumed a "green light" rather than check, as usual. Evidently I was wrong! :oops:

Presumably sellers can also choose to block on the basis of their stated shipping destination, save for any manually-included individuals?

I asked the seller what the mechanism was for that, for future reference, but they never replied.

(Would be surprised if my bid was the only one to hit that wall...).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:29 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
dbartman wrote:Bummer, any reason behind blocking you? Perhaps you already discussed elsewhere and I missed it.

I saw the international bids and for some reason presumed a "green light" rather than check, as usual. Evidently I was wrong! :oops:

Presumably sellers can also choose to block on the basis of their stated shipping destination, save for any manually-included individuals?

I asked the seller what the mechanism was for that, for future reference, but they never replied.

(Would be surprised if my bid was the only one to hit that wall...).

You can set your sellers settings to block bidders outside of your listed shipping destiantions, however, in your sellers options you can also put bidders User IDs that you preapprove to bid on your auction regardless of your other buyer requirements.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:31 pm 

harami2000 wrote:And, on-topic, ain't we getting flooded under with Dragons 1, 2, etc., just now? Hopefully not bad timing, Mike... :?

There has been a few about, but I'm not too worried about the timing. If an item is worth $100, most times it will fetch $100 +/- a few bucks irrespective of whether there have been a few up at the same time.

Perhaps i should have checked to see what the competition was like before listing them, but I'm not too worried. There's a couple of items I'm hoping to bid on coming up next week, so I had a quick check around for any duplicates I could sell to raise some cash.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:36 pm 

dbartman wrote:I agree. There would have to be some type of verification of the amount paid. Therein lies the problem, especially for an item that comes up infrequently. One bad apple could spoil the whole lot of them.

If the item could authenticated though, it should be added to the existing list, but the source of the item would need to be documented.

*nod nods*. But in the case of that $65 1st Chainmail, for example, it would still be problematic deciding what to do if it was verified.

From my perspective any one realisation does not (or should not?) materially affect the consensus value but it can dramatically impact the demonstrated/perceived values and lead to collector mentality over-reactions in both upwards  and downwards directions.

("Consensus value" as noted, in passing = what the worth would be if "everyone" got around the table and a valuation was derived working from the higher bids for an appropriate number of individuals according to the likelihood of the item's availability. This is about as close to the "dog" as you can get, I think...).

jm-02-cents, fwiw. :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:42 pm 

bclarkie wrote:You can set your sellers settings to block bidders outside of your listed shipping destiantions, however, in your sellers options you can also put bidders User IDs that you preapprove to bid on your auction regardless of your other buyer requirements.

Thank you. That's what I thought. :)

eBay doesn't tell the buyer whether or not the seller's "shipping destination" is also a blocking list. Will remember to keep asking those questions, rather than just presuming...

=

mdr003 wrote:There has been a few about, but I'm not too worried about the timing. If an item is worth $100, most times it will fetch $100 +/- a few bucks irrespective of whether there have been a few up at the same time.

$100 did you say? ;)

Yes, and sometimes it can even increase the interest so long as the demand's strong. Shouldn't be a problem, I trust, with early Dragons.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:43 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
dbartman wrote:I agree. There would have to be some type of verification of the amount paid. Therein lies the problem, especially for an item that comes up infrequently. One bad apple could spoil the whole lot of them.

If the item could authenticated though, it should be added to the existing list, but the source of the item would need to be documented.

*nod nods*. But in the case of that $65 1st Chainmail, for example, it would still be problematic deciding what to do if it was verified.

From my perspective any one realisation does not (or should not?) materially affect the consensus value but it can dramatically impact the demonstrated/perceived values and lead to collector mentality over-reactions in both upwards and downwards directions.

("Consensus value" as noted, in passing = what the worth would be if "everyone" got around the table and a valuation was derived working from the higher bids for an appropriate number of individuals according to the likelihood of the item's availability. This is about as close to the "dog" as you can get, I think...).

jm-02-cents, fwiw. :)

That is really part of the problem with taking private sales. For one it is difficult enough trying to authenticate the sale, but then you have to consider several other mitigating factors involved in the sale such as how informed are both the bidder and seller and also in especially what happens here alot is one member cuts the other a better deal due to the relationship aspect involved, i.e I sell you my recently acquired 1st print woody(ok ok its in rough shape :oops: ) for $600, but if it someone else who I didnt know wanted to buy it, insisting on say $750.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:58 pm 

bclarkie wrote:That is really part of the problem with taking private sales. For one it is difficult enough trying to authenticate the sale, but then you have to consider several other mitigating factors involved in the sale such as how informed are both the bidder and seller and also in especially what happens here alot is one member cuts the other a better deal due to the relationship aspect involved, i.e I sell you my recently acquired 1st print woody(ok ok its in rough shape :oops: ) for $600, but if it someone else who I didnt know insisting on say $750.

*gives you a probing stare*. You don't need a bigger kiln as well do you, Brian?

Agreed. Many, many factors; and one reason why it's (relatively!) "easy" to go for the eBay realisation-based option!

But neither is that the entire "community" by a long shot.

Using eBay alone, it certainly seems too easy for lower-value items to slump badly for not-so-good reasons (eBay supply > eBay demand, "not big $" = "not fashionable", less likely to be fought over, etc.).

Whereas in a "real life" situation it might be sensible to place a "value" of a few dollars on a mid-50s Dragon and feel like an OK deal with an acquaintance at that price, in eBay terms it's worth mere cents; for whatever reason. (And being unable to dissemble values from large/mixed lots is problematic, too).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:15 am 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:That is really part of the problem with taking private sales. For one it is difficult enough trying to authenticate the sale, but then you have to consider several other mitigating factors involved in the sale such as how informed are both the bidder and seller and also in especially what happens here alot is one member cuts the other a better deal due to the relationship aspect involved, i.e I sell you my recently acquired 1st print woody(ok ok its in rough shape :oops: ) for $600, but if it someone else who I didnt know insisting on say $750.

*gives you a probing stare*. You don't need a bigger kiln as well do you, Brian?

Hehehe, Nope no kiln needed here. :wink:

harami2000 wrote: Agreed. Many, many factors; and one reason why it's (relatively!) "easy" to go for the eBay realisation-based option!

Using eBay alone, it certainly seems too easy for lower-value items to slump badly for not-so-good reasons (eBay supply > eBay demand, "not big $" = "not fashionable", less likely to be fought over, etc.).

Whereas in a "real life" situation it might be sensible to place a "value" of a few dollars on a mid-50s Dragon and feel like an OK deal with an acquaintance at that price, in eBay terms it's worth mere cents; for whatever reason. (And being unable to dissemble values from large/mixed lots is problematic, too).

Agreed. There are defintely many problems trying to get real and consistant source of information to determine a value of an item, but at this point it seems the best way is through EBay. Unless of course everyone wants to take up a collection and send me to GenCon next year. :P

On a side note, I must say that your post to Mike*mdr003* pointed me in the right direction. Since he is too modest to pimp his own items here, I will do it for him. :wink:

mdr003 has up a

Dragon Magazine #1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Dragon Magazine #3:

Magazine Issues | eBay

And he also has up AD&D mods H2-H4:

eBay listings

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:36 am 

harami2000 wrote:Agreed. Many, many factors; and one reason why it's (relatively!) "easy" to go for the eBay realisation-based option!

Ok, I'm glad the d@#$ cellphone woke me up now.   :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Acaeum has used non-eBay sales in its valuations on rare items in the past.  I personally see no reason not to continue that trend, particularly on things like 1st woodgrains/chainmails.  They don't come around often enough to get picky on the data source, as long as it can be reasonably verified.  Long-time Acaeum members such as David hopefully wouldn't lie.

The question as to whether it would have sold for more if X were true is moot, it's just like saying I would have paid $2500 for stormber's woodgrain auction.  (I would have, if I had that kind of money to throw around -- I didn't because I don't.  :wink: )

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:55 am 

bclarkie wrote:On a side note, I must say that your post to Mike*mdr003* pointed me in the right direction. Since he is too modest to pimp his own items here, I will do it for him. :wink:

Thanks for the plug - I appreciate it.  :D

I have to admit though that my modesty certainly doesn't prohibit me from pimping my auctions for all they're worth; I was going to flag the stuff in the Classifieds, but was planning to wait until closer to the end date.

Actually, I have to say your morals must be stronger than my own - if I was planning on bidding for something on ebay, I wouldn't post the item in this thread - I'd keep quiet and hope noone else sees it.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:23 am 

This is just not that difficult. OBVIOUSLY David's $65 Chain would not be added to the value list. We'd all pay 10 times that at least. Neither would my $250 C1. A little common sense needs to factor in here.

Again, list the submitted values and let the Acaeum vote which values should be tossed and which are valid.

Ask yourselves this: Do any of the "heavy hitters" here EVER check the current values listed? Why not? Because we all know roughly what an item is worth, at least to us individually. The list is NOT for our benefit, it is for the benefit of people Like Louise. Her ST1 is not mint, but I'd bet my cornhole it will top $2,000. If she had read the values and someone had offered her $1,500, I am pretty sure she would have sold it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:37 am 

As an aside, cuattheacaeumboys, if it is Maxine or Johnnie or some other hammerhead, could probably be ferreted out by checking the registered Acaeum members with 0 posts but recent logins. I'm pretty sure one of them will be the one. People like that have a burning need to see the results of their stupidity.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:49 am 

I now have a reply from the anonymous bidder confirming that no trouble was intended, that he will not take any further part in the auction under any ID other than his usual one and that I am free to withdraw his previous bids.   As I said before, I have confirmed his identity.    Hopefully this will bring the matter to a close (not, I hasten to add, the auction!).

Thanks

Louise

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:50 am 

louise49h wrote:I now have a reply from the anonymous bidder confirming that no trouble was intended, that he will not take any further part in the auction under any ID other than his usual one and that I am free to withdraw his previous bids. As I said before, I have confirmed his identity. Hopefully this will bring the matter to a close (not, I hasten to add, the auction!).

Thanks

Louise

Assuming that this person is in fact legitimate, and just looking to keep anonymous, then I suspect that I know who it is. If it is this person then I would like to completely appologize for the things that I said, as I was under the impression that this was some nefarious attempt at screwing with Louise's auction. I would also like to say that if it is the person who I think it is then, then I also suspect that they probably regret using the user ID that they used. Also, if it is this person, I know that this person is a good person and is not shady or a dick or trying, but probably could have used a better user ID to remain annonymous. Based on other peoples posts, I now better understand the reasons for a legitimate bidder to want to remain annoymous, and so I will also admit that I am wrong about that. :oops:

*<sorry about the cryptic message, but I don't want to out anybody :wink: >*

<edit> It is now confirmed, I am a complete f*cking moron. :oops: With the exception of the above noted appology please disreagard everything that I have said about this auction, as I don't think that I have ever been more wrong in my entire life.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:31 am 

Don't sweat it, Brian.  That'll happen when you're being ever vigilant.  :)

As it stands right now, I think the auction is looking good for all parties involved.  Louise is getting a windfall that she wasn't aware of last week, and improv is (currently) getting a pretty sweet deal relative to other ST1 auctions.  

While I don't disagree with Deadlord's predictions on the final price, it'd be nice to see this trend downward slightly towards sanity.  I'll never understand why people value it so much higher than the other rares. :roll:

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:35 am 

Folios up with 5 days left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _Stores_IT

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:37 am 

bclarkie wrote:
<edit> It is now confirmed, I am a complete f*cking moron. :oops: With the exception of the above noted appology please disreagard everything that I have said about this auction, as I don't think that I have ever been more wrong in my entire life.

well now thats cleared up, i will put it back in my watched items list....think i can be tempted to throw another bid in once again to just set the cat amongst the pigeons once more :)

bri...never mind chummer. i would rather you be vigilant and wrong sometimes, than lax and spot nothing at all.

i think everyone else here would also voice the same ?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 111123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 109110111